Scale making questions, epoxy etc

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Scale making questions, epoxy etc

Post by Evil D »

I'm thinking about making my own scales, but sort of with a twist. What I really want are some thicker contoured scales, and I'm thinking the easiest way to make them might just be to epoxy a layer of G10 to factory scales and then I won't have to deal with counter sinking screw holes and such.

What I'm not sure about is how durable an epoxy would be here, if it would be visible between the layers, etc. I'll probably use a different color anyway so I'm not trying to make it look seamless but I won't want a "glue layer" either.

I'm thinking it would be best to sand down the peel ply beforehand? My experience with glues tells me some texture is good but too much means not enough contact between the layers.

Should I maybe pin the pieces together too? Seems like a more solid idea but I'm not sure I'd like the looks.

Lastly for those who've done this, what's a good website to source G10? Any preferred epoxy?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Re: Scale making questions, epoxy etc

Post by yablanowitz »

I have not overlayed handles in that fashion, but I have done some things that were similar. Epoxy will fill the texture on the peel ply with no problem, so sanding would not be necessary in my opinion. Clamp tightly to minimize the thickness of the epoxy layer. I would recommend pins to help with lateral shock loads, though. My personal favorite is Dev Con 2 hour epoxy. It gives me more working time to get everything aligned and clamped and it has a bit more strength as well. I'm generally not in any kind of hurry when I'm working on projects of that nature. If I remember right, Texas Knifemaker Supply was the last place I bought material from, but it has been a few years.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Evil D wrote:I'm thinking about making my own scales, but sort of with a twist. What I really want are some thicker contoured scales, and I'm thinking the easiest way to make them might just be to epoxy a layer of G10 to factory scales and then I won't have to deal with counter sinking screw holes and such.

What I'm not sure about is how durable an epoxy would be here, if it would be visible between the layers, etc. I'll probably use a different color anyway so I'm not trying to make it look seamless but I won't want a "glue layer" either.

I'm thinking it would be best to sand down the peel ply beforehand? My experience with glues tells me some texture is good but too much means not enough contact between the layers.

Should I maybe pin the pieces together too? Seems like a more solid idea but I'm not sure I'd like the looks.

Lastly for those who've done this, what's a good website to source G10? Any preferred epoxy?

G10 from Jantz. System 3 Epoxy. As long as there are no bows or dips or humps in any of the materials then it shouldn't leave any glue seams. You could get some liners (dense plastic/cardboard type sheet). That does a good job transitioning and detracting from the epoxy. Don't worry about leaving as much texture as what peel ply is. If you're going to do it the way you suggested I'd drill some holes into the pre-existing scales for the epoxy to actually fill. And you would have to basically fully commit, meaning you'll not be able to separate the add on from the original scale without screwing up both and you wouldn't be able to mess with any of the screws either. No pivot play or anything.

You could try to pin it and itd work. Just drill through the G10 and the scales at the same point, push the pin through until it hits the liner, then grind off the excess sticking out from the handle as you're shaping it.

The side with the pocket clip would need new holes drilled for the clip, but you can sink and epoxy some threaded barrels into that side and get some screws that match and go from there.

Sounds like a good project but I don't think itd be easy unless you had a little practice. The materials are pretty cheap. Get some cheap jarbenzas to practice with.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I went down a similar track a while back when I came to glue up a stacked Puukko handle. I was of the impression I should use 24 hour Areldite. As it went I spoke to a knife maker who recommended a local product, also a two equal part 'epoxy' but different. I gave what I didn't use to a mate so I couldn't tell you anymore about it but I'd be included to speak to a knife makers supplier.

Anyone seen Xplorer?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

The West System "G-Flex" is used a lot for this type of bond. Surface prep is very important. Scratch the surfaces with sand paper & keep them flat, clean with a solvent & then clamp to get things right. Sounds like a good plan you have. Fiber liner material, G10, Micarta or anything else would be good for what you want. Plenty of colors, thicknesses & choices available from knife making suppliers (Jantz, Alpha, etc.)