C60 GP Sprint Run: Ayoob

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RLDubbya

C60 GP Sprint Run: Ayoob

Post by RLDubbya »

An oldie but a goodie.

I just picked one up, LNIB. This is a sprint run with VG-10 Blade & a G-10 handle that you will either love (as I do) or hate (if you don't like a real ragged, almost Emmie-like grip). Just got it a couple nights ago, and have started to play with it, but so far, I love it.

I bought it for a couple reasons. The first is that I've always like Ayoob's writings, and thought that conceptually the angle of the handle -> blade made a lot of good common sense.

Another reason is that I read a review which stated specifically "don't buy this knife, the quality is terrible and shows that Seki City cannot build a knife". Of course, that setup a thought pattern ending with "you have to buy this knife and see if this reviewer is a genius or is experiencing electrical transmission problems in his brain".

I'm going to take electrical transmission problems for $10, Alex.

There's nothing wrong with the knife from a quality perspective, EXCEPT (and not knowing the history of this knife makes this little more than a guess) the action is quite stiff, like the pivot screw is tightened down way too much, for whatever reason - maybe the previous owner didn't want to remove the clip to adjust it?

So far, so good. I think it's a great EDC.

Oh, yeah, it just happens to be a plain edge.
v8r

Re: C60 GP Sprint Run: Ayoob

Post by v8r »

The one I had was very nice. The only thing I didn't like about it was tip down only carry.
I imagine a good wash with hot soapy water in the pivot area and a little lube after it dries will help the action a little on yours.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would really love to see this one brought back.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

v8r wrote:The one I had was very nice. The only thing I didn't like about it was tip down only carry.
I imagine a good wash with hot soapy water in the pivot area and a little lube after it dries will help the action a little on yours.
Well, imagination sometimes works. Not in this case. I don't want to embellish, the knife is in excellent overall condition, but: the tang is scratched from either the pivot screw, washers, or liners rubbing. I took the clip off, and backed off the adjustable pivot screw, which made a HUGE difference. I lubed with EzOxx, and it now feels about normal. However, I should order new washers at a minimum and get those installed, along with new screws for the clip.

Oh, I used some blue LocTite on the pivot and clip. There was zero thread locker applied, and I suspect - though have no proof - that's the origin of the condition.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:I would really love to see this one brought back.
Same here. Mark Greenman (former member? I never see him around anymore) was a huge Ayoob guy and had one FFGed and I think that is the way to go. I think it would rock in HAP 40 (please solid slab, no cladding). Sal was ready to make the Ayoob for us in H1 SE and FRN but it wasn't agreed upon enough here. This was the discussion that spawned the Caribbean, but I still think a LW H1 SE Ayoob would have been EPIC. The Ayoob deserves another run and better than black G10 and VG10, so cliche
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

twinboysdad wrote: The Ayoob deserves another run and better than black G10 and VG10, so cliche
The original is still the best.
O.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

O,just,O wrote:
twinboysdad wrote: The Ayoob deserves another run and better than black G10 and VG10, so cliche
The original is still the best.
O.
Originals rock but the slippery alamite handles were easily improved upon. You know this as well.
levs18

Post by levs18 »

All this discussion about oldies, like the Lum tanto folder, has really got me pumped. I would be in for one of these as well if they were re-released. G-10 handles and I don't care about the blade steel. The angle of the blade in relation to the handle makes this an amazing defensive/offensive/combative folder.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would be fine with G10 and VG10, but I would very VERY much prefer FFG. I would actually rather it be FFG and VG10 than any other steel and hollow grind. This knife has so much slicing potential it's a crime to use anything less than FFG.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I've come close a couple times to grabbing one of the originals and would probably pick up a sprint if it happened. The grip angle does seem odd but I have a feeling the Ayoob is like many others in that it must be held to understand, I learned early on not to judge spydies by there looks. :D :spyder:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

That blade angle to grip is to correct the hand angle to arm so the blade is in line with the arm in a thrust.
It is a self defence knife & the hollow grind original blade would be stronger than a FFG.
This knife was not designed for peeling fruit.
O.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

O,just,O wrote:That blade angle to grip is to correct the hand angle to arm so the blade is in line with the arm in a thrust.
It is a self defence knife & the hollow grind original blade would be stronger than a FFG.
O.
It is a shame Mark let his website Goodkit go, I would direct you there where he reviewed the Ayoob but also had the Tom Krein FFG Ayoob that he EDCed
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

O,just,O wrote:That blade angle to grip is to correct the hand angle to arm so the blade is in line with the arm in a thrust.
O.

I disagree with the idea that hollow grinds are stronger than FF grinds if starting with the same stock thickness unless it's a really low hollow grind. FF grinds are just a triangle while a hollow grind is a complex shape.

Anyway, in a self defense knife what does a hollow grind bring to the table? Nothing more than a FF grind and actually makes it much weaker and harder to stab through clothes. Hollow grinds should be kept to razors and other tools meant for very shallow cutting. Maybe I'm wrong but a self defense knife should probably stab the deepest and make the deepest cuts the easiest. Not make it harder for no reason. I don't want to shave a bad guy or just cut his clothes off. I want to quickly stop him from trying to kill me, even if that means I inflict immediately lethal wounds.

But to be fair a piece of plastic can be made strong and sharp enough to stab someone so whatever.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

You and I both EVIL D ;) But I do at some point want to see it return in another blade steel other than VG-10. I have 3 of the first generation ( almite handle) and I have 2 of the G-10 Sprint Run and I wouldn't sell or trade any of them. The Spyderedged version which was only available in the first generation is truly one of Spyderco's all time very best serrated edged folders ever IMO.

Now the G-10 Sprint version is a much better handle than the original first run of this model. But the ergos on the Ayoob just can't be equaled in my humble opinion. I've even heard suggestions of the C-60 Ayoob to be brought back in the H-1 Salt Series which I believe could be a really good idea. But more than anything I would love one in one of the newer/better blade steels. If they ever brought it back in either M390 or one of the other high end supersteels it would be my permanent EDC.

The Ayoob definitely belongs in the Hall of Fame for Spyders>> that is if they ever create a "Hall OF Fame" for some of Spyderco's most classic models of the past.

Great Thread :cool:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

RLDubbya wrote:An oldie but a goodie.

I just picked one up, LNIB. This is a sprint run with VG-10 Blade & a G-10 handle that you will either love (as I do) or hate (if you don't like a real ragged, almost Emmie-like grip). Just got it a couple nights ago, and have started to play with it, but so far, I love it.

I bought it for a couple reasons. The first is that I've always like Ayoob's writings, and thought that conceptually the angle of the handle -> blade made a lot of good common sense.

Another reason is that I read a review which stated specifically "don't buy this knife, the quality is terrible and shows that Seki City cannot build a knife". Of course, that setup a thought pattern ending with "you have to buy this knife and see if this reviewer is a genius or is experiencing electrical transmission problems in his brain".

I'm going to take electrical transmission problems for $10, Alex.

There's nothing wrong with the knife from a quality perspective, EXCEPT (and not knowing the history of this knife makes this little more than a guess) the action is quite stiff, like the pivot screw is tightened down way too much, for whatever reason - maybe the previous owner didn't want to remove the clip to adjust it?

So far, so good. I think it's a great EDC.

Oh, yeah, it just happens to be a plain edge.
I don't know how I missed your sig line before, but man I said a prayer for you. My prayers are that your remaining time be spent doing what you love and surrounded by positivity
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

twinboysdad wrote:I don't know how I missed your sig line before, but man I said a prayer for you. My prayers are that your remaining time be spent doing what you love and surrounded by positivity
I just posted this today. I was thinking back a few weeks to one day when I came close to losing my temper with somebody, and how unfair of me that was - and how out of character it was as well. I was going to apologize publicly, but thought that perhaps this was a better route to take, as it would cover me in the future as well.

Thank you.

EDIT: I should also make it clear that I am not looking for any expressions of sympathy by taking this action. I hope that everybody takes my words just as they stand, no more & no less. I am, relatively speaking, happy enough & accepting of the hand which has been dealt to me. I can find things which I wish were different, but everybody can do that. I have, most likely, well under a year left and I intend to make the most of the time, to help as many others as I possibly can.

For we only become our true selves when we help others; this is the debt with which we are born.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Same here. Mark Greenman (former member? I never see him around anymore) was a huge Ayoob guy and had one FFGed and I think that is the way to go. I think it would rock in HAP 40 (please solid slab, no cladding). Sal was ready to make the Ayoob for us in H1 SE and FRN but it wasn't agreed upon enough here. This was the discussion that spawned the Caribbean, but I still think a LW H1 SE Ayoob would have been EPIC. The Ayoob deserves another run and better than black G10 and VG10, so cliche
I might get one, if funds allow, when a new sprint would come out but if this would come out in FRN and I wouldn't mind SE H1, I would try my best to get a couple!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joris Mo wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
I might get one, if funds allow, when a new sprint would come out but if this would come out in FRN and I wouldn't mind SE H1, I would try my best to get a couple!
As a very avid fan of the C-60 Ayoob model I'm finding some very interesting input in this thread. For one thing it really blows me away as to how many people very much want to see an H-1 Salt version of the Ayoob. I would be for it but would insist upon a Spyderedged version to also be made available.

As I also said in my earlier post I do believe this would be the ideal Spyderco Sprint Run model to introduce new Japanese supersteels with. I wouldn't even mind seeing a HAP 40 version of the Ayoob. Oh don't get me wrong because I do dearly love the VG-10 versions that we've already been blessed with but this knife's design is so ergonomically perfect that it would be unjust not to make the next Sprint Run with a newer/better blade steel.

With the thread we had recently of Japanese blade steels it just stands to reason that the C-60 Ayoob model would be a very nice model to use for newer/better blade steels. Now the past Sprint Run of the Ayoob with the G-10 handle was super. But I would actually like to see a new Sprint Run with a different colored handle. The Ayoob model is a true "Hall Of Famer" and deserves another Sprint run IMO.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've been really impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of the knives coming out of Seki. My last few have been the Karahawk, Ouroboros and the D'Allara 3. I've also handled the ATR, Q-Ball and Lil' Temp 3. All have had excellent fit and finish. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I'd be more than happy to see more models come out of Seki. A sprint of the Ayoob would be high up on the list for me.

I am curious to see what steels they have up their sleeves. I don't know much about Japanese steels other than the ones released by Spyderco thus far.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was checking on this today. Country Knives has the Ayoob available, for... $275. That's pretty steep for me.

Bring on a Sprint for me to give it another chance. A nice steel would be preferred.

Was the last Ayoob a Seki or Moki model? I was under the impression that it was Moki.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!