Urban vs Dfly2 - a tough one

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Urban vs Dfly2 - a tough one

Post by Donut »

Maybe I got a weird one, but my K390 Urban lock tension is stronger than... I think any UKPK I've ever had. I've had almost every variation of the UKPK except the Black G-10 and the Rescue and some of the colorful ones (and the S110V, not yet).
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Donut wrote:Maybe I got a weird one, but my K390 Urban lock tension is stronger than... I think any UKPK I've ever had. I've had almost every variation of the UKPK except the Black G-10 and the Rescue and some of the colorful ones (and the S110V, not yet).
Same here...
Tedy

Post by Tedy »

How would you compare the spring tension in Urban K390 to UKPK S110V ?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Tedy wrote:How would you compare the spring tension in Urban K390 to UKPK S110V ?
Stronger
Tedy

Post by Tedy »

elena86 wrote:
Tedy wrote:How would you compare the spring tension in Urban K390 to UKPK S110V ?
Stronger
Thanks elena86
awa54

Post by awa54 »

twinboysdad wrote:Dfly, it locks. If the Pingo locked it would have been an EDC heavyweight for me. And yes, knives that lock get the nod for me and those of you who have Urbans have to admit that you would prefer a locking version if it existed
Not really, in certain circumstances a lock would add peace of mind, but I haven't yet felt my fingers to be in danger while using an Urban or Pingo. The softly sprung FRN UKPKs do make me a bit nervous though.

But yes, I *would* buy a Caly 2.5 if it was offered :D

I'd be interested to know if all FFG versions of the FRN UKPK have the "better" spring compared to the original GIN1 and transitional saber grind BD1 versions... I own a Sabre and an FFG and both springs seem somewhat anemic compared to the Italian made Slipits and the original thick bladed UKPKs.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Nate

Post by Nate »

awa54 wrote: I'd be interested to know if all FFG versions of the FRN UKPK have the "better" spring compared to the original GIN1 and transitional saber grind BD1 versions...
Yes, they do. It's a different backspring.

To me the initial closing resistance on the ffg UKPKs feels the same as the Urban, but the UKs have a weaker half-stop, which I actually prefer.
:spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

They fill totally different roles for me. I always prefer locking blades, so the Urban is for travel to places where I can't carry a locker.