Best EDC Flashlight?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
LaBella

Post by LaBella »

SureFire M3 Combat flashlight!! :)
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

I like the 10x Dominator.
voxnaes

Post by voxnaes »

ARC AA or ARC AAA!! :) I also use INOVA´s. The X1 and T1 are very cool, but too big for the keychain :(
Vox.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

if it fits on a keychain does it really qualify as a flashlight?
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I have an LED head for me SureFire E2e (the KL-1 LED Head). It throws about fifteen lumens, I believe, which is okay for close-range work like the searching in the prison that I do daily. I like it because it extends the battery life immensely.

I also have a Z3 and a C3 Combatlight, both of which are incredibly bright, and will illuminate people 100 yards away easily.

I also plan on getting one of the LED heads for these lights, to extend their run time as well. The heads cost a bit, but in the long run, they're money-savers, considering how often I use my lights (daily). What's more, in an emergency, such as a long-term power outage, a box of batteries would last a LONG time, when resupply might be impossible.

Finally, I bang my SureFires around, drop them, and generally abuse them on the job, and I've never had one single problem with them. They've proven very durable. Plus, it's fun to blind people with that beam of light! :)
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Ray.Hood

Find a little Exec Surefire. They are the best I think.

Post by Ray.Hood »

I bought a Surefire Exec recently. It is as bright as a car headlight! Kinda expensive for people on a budget tho.
Ray Pettit
SGT, USA
NBC NCO
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

For daily use I carry a AAA Mini-Maglite, it's an OK utility light and the best street-legal palm stick I know, but that's more an MBC issue.

I never leave the house without a Photon II light, great "back-up" lights!

When I know beforehand that I will need a light, when going out after dark for example, I grab for my Surefire. Usually a Executive Defender, and I keep a souped up G2 (120 lumen) on the nightstand. It's always fun to use your surefires on a camping ground, hehehehe I always win the "who's got the biggest flashlight competition". You see these kids lugging around huge Maglites, and then I present my palmsized G2. Of course I never tell them how expensive it is :D
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
aggat

Post by aggat »

I carry in my keys an inova blue microlight.
it´s a great light !!!! :cool:
Ricard
buferoe

Post by buferoe »

Hi Guys,

Normal i carry a Led Lenser V8 on my keyring, and the Photon II in my pocket with the Ladybug.
And on my belt i carry a Inova X5. ;)

regards,

Buferoe
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

hmm - best edc light
well i carry a Surefire L4 and and Inova X5 with me nearly all day every day
and they both run on pila Rechargeable lithium ions too
i also carry a CMG Infinity ultra on my Keys (1x AA - 20ish hours of runtime)
The Peak lights come in Standard and High brightness versions (the high brightness is equal to arc aaa)

so here is my list of small lights to carry

1x AAA
Peak aaa (1 and 3 LED heads)
CMG sonic (1 led only)
Mag Solitaire (not a very good choice)

1x AA
Peak (unsure of what models are available)
CMG Infinty (long runtime)
CMG Infinity Ultra (shorter runtime - 2x as bright as std Infinity)
Inova X1 (very tight spot - no spill beam)

2x AA -
Mini mag 2AA (with or without LED Retrofit)
Streamlight Junior Luxeon
Gerber Trio
Longbow Eco

4xAA
Underwater Kinetics 4aa lights
E-led, Q40 and others
really solid bright lights

1xSF123
Peak Led Solutions lights (range of Brightness/finish options)
Surefire E1
Surefire E1 + KL1 or KL4 head
Streamlight Twintask 1L
Longbow Micra
Nuwaii Q3

2xSF123
Surefire E2
Surefire E2 +KL1 or KL4 Head
Streamlight Scorpion
Streamlight TL2 + TL2 LED
Pelican PM6 and PM6 Led
Longbow Mini

I know i have left lights of this list - these are the ones that came of the top of my head, anyway - have a look at http://www.candlepowerforums.com for more ideas (or try running searches on the above lights)
Codeman

Post by Codeman »

I've got about 12 Photons and I keep a Photon III Covert in my pocket all the time. On my keychain, however, is a Streamlight Key-Mate. It is a great little light.

To be honest, though, I hardly ever use either. I always have a Surefire A2, G2Z, Z3, or E2 within reach. Nothing beats a Surefire, IMHO. A single cell E is very "pocket-able" and will blow the Key-Mate's/Photon's out of the water.

You can get a G2 for around $35 these days, which is probably the best buy in flashlights anywhere.
-- Ray
DAYWALKER

Thanks AET...

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha!
Too lazy to change the battery on my Photon, plus the LED was all scratched up. Passed by a Maglite Solitaire. Remembered reading here that Allen carried one. So I bought one...

I must say, it is a definitely improved model from their first Solitaire design...Plus, I like the "Gun metal finish"...I would NOT have bought one of these again...but since Allen mentioned it... :D

I still have my Keymate, but I have that one stashed on me while on duty.
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Well a fairly pricey light out there that I really like the look of is the new SureFire Executive Defender (E2D) Flashlight.

Looks like a real cool light for those that have experience with shortsticks.
Cant wait to get my hands on one :D

Cheers

MaNcEr
It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

I found a discussion of this on CPF.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthr ... o=&fpart=1

I've spent sometime over there... they really love surefires. Still out of my price range, but they do seem to be the best. Am going for a peak led... looks like they cost $30... but a lot of people talk about getting them for $15. Was that the old price?
Moon

Post by Moon »

OutofGum wrote:I found a discussion of this on CPF.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthr ... o=&fpart=1

I've spent sometime over there... they really love surefires. Still out of my price range, but they do seem to be the best. Am going for a peak led... looks like they cost $30... but a lot of people talk about getting them for $15. Was that the old price?
The Peak prototype is $15. It is not anodized and has no warranty, but for $15 I think it's worth it.

You can find them on Peak's Discount Page The AAA prototype is on the bottom of the page.
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

Thanks Moon! Just what I was looking for.