What the ****? A Back Lock Manix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mattman

Re: What the ****? A Back Lock Manix?

Post by mattman »

One thing that I just caught, that I don't recall being mentioned yet, is that this lock allows the Manix package to have tip-down carry, for those that avail the Spyder-Drop, or prefer tip-down... (I'm a tip-up guy, but I noticed it's coming tip-down, from the factory...)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

mattman wrote:One thing that I just caught, that I don't recall being mentioned yet, is that this lock allows the Manix package to have tip-down carry, for those that avail the Spyder-Drop, or prefer tip-down... (I'm a tip-up guy, but I noticed it's coming tip-down, from the factory...)
Good point. The ball bearing lock, like Benchmade's Axis lock, only allows tip up clip mounting. I agree that the humble back lock is unpopular with owners whose primary use case is opening and closing their knives as an activity of itself.
palonej

Post by palonej »

bearfacedkiller wrote:palonej,
I do have a soft side. In person I am a hugger, even bro hugs. ;) The world would be a better place with more love, no? I don't have to know someone very long before handshakes turn into hugs. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Paladin,
I admit that I often get pulled into the fray. I have good intentions and I think am just a diplomat at heart. I think I am good at not slipping into insults and profanity but we all have our moments of weakness. I agree with the silence approach and crickets usually does work. I don't think I usually post in the troll threads until things have started to slip and then I try to just run some damage control. Again, I do slip sometimes too though. Besides the crickets approach I am a big fan of the "kill them with kindness" approach. I was a foreman in a sub sector of the paving industry when I was still quite young and had to deal with a lot of much older roughneck pavers and many of them tried to push me around. My supervisor (and one of best friends) taught me to be as overly nice as I could be, to the point of it being too much. Many people who address everything through conflict don't know how to react to a person with a smile from ear to ear. At the very least it throws their game off. At the most it may even spread some positivity. Unfortunately it will only work in a forum setting if everybody does it. Trolls don't care if it is only one person feeding them, they will ignore the rest.

I will do my best to stop feedin them... :o
I am also a hugger brother! Nice to see my three sons are the same way. After reading your posts for a couple of years, it's obvious what type of person you are......I knew you were a soft smoothie!

On the subject of feeding trolls??? I can say the only time I get pulled into them is when someone either disrespects, or calls Sal's integrity into question.
After dealing with him and getting a feel for the type of person he is, I just can't stomach that garbage.
Don't want to veer this fine and sincere thread off topic, but the Advocate thread got under my skin and the trolls got fat off of all the feeding I did.
I'll try to abstain in the future.
Joe
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

dreadpirate wrote:What's wrong with the current Manix 2?? Not for me!!
I feel the same way. I almost 100% do not buy lockback knives. I used to carry lockbacks, then technology advanced and we got linerlocks and even better. I don't want to go back to the older technology.

BUT, I've learned that there are a lot of people with different tastes and people like lockbacks and friction folders and lots of other things. So if people want the knife and Spyderco is willing to build it, I guess that is a good thing.
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

I can tell you that this Manix 2 lockback is unlike any other lockback you've ever tried....
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I went back to the lockback per se, mostly due to the fact the overall knife configuration I wanted came with that type of lock. They suit my purposes and I like the simplicity of design, but at the same time that doesn't mean I'm rejecting other lock types.
Punishcutioner

Post by Punishcutioner »

I love my original Manic and it's back lock.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

After giving my cousin a kiwi for x-mas and picking up a Persian recently, I have renewed interest in the back lock. Also, a bit frustrated with the inconsistency in the compression locks I have received. I have never had much interest in the manix, but quite drawn to this one. Might pick this one up, might wait for a sprint or exclusive. Hoping for the jade g10 and m4 backlock.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I was thrilled to see a Manix in back lock format. As soon as I learned that it is made with the same techniques as the back lock on the Native 5, I put an order in. I have been looking for a hard use 3.5" class folder for a while and while I've tried to like the Manix CBBL, i could just never warm up to it.
My order arrived Saturday, and I'm quite pleased. The blade is beefy but still ground fairly thin to be a good slicer. The handle is very agreeable to my hand, and the lock is very authoritative in its action while still being easy to manipulate. I have no qualms about the lack of liners and this is exactly the largeish tank folder I've been waiting for. I look forward to perhaps a blurple variant.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

bdblue wrote:
I feel the same way. I almost 100% do not buy lockback knives. I used to carry lockbacks, then technology advanced and we got linerlocks and even better. I don't want to go back to the older technology.

BUT, I've learned that there are a lot of people with different tastes and people like lockbacks and friction folders and lots of other things. So if people want the knife and Spyderco is willing to build it, I guess that is a good thing.
Sometimes the steady refinement of older tech is just as good or better than the newer designs. An example is the LS engine in several GM products, most notably the Corvette. It's old push-rod design coupled with modern technology but you'd never think it's obsolete if you drove one.

Same with this new backlock. It is an older design made with new technology, and I wouldn't discount it solely because of previous experiences with lesser backlocks.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Scottie3000 wrote:
bdblue wrote:

Sometimes the steady refinement of older tech is just as good or better than the newer designs. An example is the LS engine in several GM products, most notably the Corvette. It's old push-rod design coupled with modern technology but you'd never think it's obsolete if you drove one.

Same with this new backlock. It is an older design made with new technology, and I wouldn't discount it solely because of previous experiences with lesser backlocks.
Exactly what Scottie said. I dont think the back lock Is inferior or outdated because it is an older design than some other locks. i believe the backlocks coming out of golden right now have some of the most modern refinements of any of spyderco locks. A physical mechanism does not lose its relevance as a result of age. As examples, the pulley and lever have both been around awhile and seem to remain popular. ;)
A-TAZ

Post by A-TAZ »

I want one because I love all-things-Manix...
However, give me a compression-lock, too. in S35vn. Then I would have all-things-favorite.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

+1 on the backlock being a great lock. I've been at this for a few years and I've come to realize that the back lock xx produces works, is reliable and is quick and easy to operate.

So yeah, I'm a fan.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The back lock has been around for a while, and it works as well, or better than the 'best' more modern locks out there. I really see no downside to the design. The only thing I would like to see is the addition of a stop pin, but even that is not necessary.

People think it is antiquated, but the liner lock has been around for probably 150-200 years. When the lock back came out, it was a considerable improvement in safety and strength. Thus, Buck offered the first really practical folding hunting knife in America.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Deacon wrote:
Vivi wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
dreadpirate wrote::eek: What's wrong with the current Manix 2?? Not for me!! I'll pass on the back lock and take the current ball bearing model thank you.
Aside from being sad, wimpy, watered down versions of the original Manix, there's nothing wrong with either the Manix 2 or the new Manix midlock.
Yeah I should retire my "wimpy" Manix XL and EDC a kiwi... :rolleyes: 3mm blade stock cuts better than 4mm....wish more folders of theirs got "watered down" that way....
Not sure what your point is. The original C95 Manix and C101 83mm Manix had 4mm blades while the new Manix midlock has 3.7mm, Manix 2XL has 3.2mm, and Manix 2 has 3mm. FWIW, the Kiwi used 2.5mm blade stock although I have no idea what that has to do with anything. My point was that the original Manix was one of the strongest "hard use" folders Spyderco has ever made. It's not a knife I have any need to carry on a day to day basis, but if I though all **** was about to break loose, it's the first Spyderco folder I'd stuff in my go bag. Whether you agree or not, IMHO, every Manix version since has been weak sauce by comparison.
If you break a Manix XL, folding knives are not for you. There is nothing weak sauce about one.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Vivi wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Vivi wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
dreadpirate wrote::eek: What's wrong with the current Manix 2?? Not for me!! I'll pass on the back lock and take the current ball bearing model thank you.
Aside from being sad, wimpy, watered down versions of the original Manix, there's nothing wrong with either the Manix 2 or the new Manix midlock.
Yeah I should retire my "wimpy" Manix XL and EDC a kiwi... :rolleyes: 3mm blade stock cuts better than 4mm....wish more folders of theirs got "watered down" that way....
Not sure what your point is. The original C95 Manix and C101 83mm Manix had 4mm blades while the new Manix midlock has 3.7mm, Manix 2XL has 3.2mm, and Manix 2 has 3mm. FWIW, the Kiwi used 2.5mm blade stock although I have no idea what that has to do with anything. My point was that the original Manix was one of the strongest "hard use" folders Spyderco has ever made. It's not a knife I have any need to carry on a day to day basis, but if I though all **** was about to break loose, it's the first Spyderco folder I'd stuff in my go bag. Whether you agree or not, IMHO, every Manix version since has been weak sauce by comparison.
If you break a Manix XL, folding knives are not for you. There is nothing weak sauce about one.
No but his point is clear..... the original manix was awesome. I hope to see an XL Back lock just like this current version of he manix 2 back lock
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I can't see the the point of irate comments about Spyderco releasing a certain model. If it's not for you - don't buy it, problem solved.
If they were to release a second variant of the Gunting (a knife i don't think i'd ever buy regardless of price) i sure wouldn't start threads about it letting everyone and their dog know how much i hate it..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

Yes, please release the Manix XL in a lockback version and thick g10 slabs!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I concluded the OP was NOT trolling, just being rhetorical, if, perhaps, a little awkwardly.

What's with the forum these days? We're not supposed to be political here, but it sure seems like the hate-filled polarizations outside the forum have each of us itching for an actual fight, not just gentle ribbing. Do we really want to blow it up?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Deacon wrote:IMHO, every Manix version since has been weak sauce by comparison.
Just got an original S30V Manix this AM, and, FWIW, I must agree.

The original utterly dwarfs not only the "big" M4 Manix2 in my pocket today, but also my bigger S90V Manix XL. While M4 and S90V are great steels, S30V is the more balanced performer, and, in the original, it is a massive slab. I'd have to think the original is the archetypal "hard-use" folder and its derivatives something less so, even if still "hard-use" enough.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”