Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want the Bob Lum Tanto Folder to return? Yes or no?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 155

ohcyclist

Re: Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Post by ohcyclist »

I would vote for custom g10 and a clad high carbon steel. I would have to think more on specific color.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Yes! Sal! Yes! LC! Yes!!!

Ok ok, my take is this: I want this knife about as bad as any discontinued model (or any model, really), but I am poor so I'd like to keep it at or below $200 MAP. G-10 (love the grey, if it's ok to do a second run in it, or what about tan or khaki?) and whatever steel they have lying around over there is cool with me. Though a laminated HAP40 does sound sexy...

Come on folks! Let's feed this fire!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I forgot my eternal hope/wish for clay hamon..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
palonej

Post by palonej »

An emphatic & joyous YES from me!!
CF & Cruwear please, and I'll take 2......NOW!!
This is the model that makes me drool!!
Joe
v8r

Post by v8r »

They must not be as popular as they used to be. I was trying to sell my used TI plain edge Lum Tanto for what I assumed was a very reasonable price recently, and the guy returned it.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Whoa!! It's so great to hear that this could actually happen! Thanks Sal!

As far as materials go, I'm a sucker for bright coloured g10. I'd love this knife made with smurf blue or bright orange. But I understand that's not everyone's taste. The dark grey that was used on the cruwear PM2 sprint was very nice and would look great on this knife. Dark grey would also compliment the original light grey sprint.

People seem to be on board for HAP40. Cladded or solid though?

What are some of the other steels that are being used in Japan? It's great to hear that the maker is branching out to other steels.

Woohoo!!!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Sal, thank you!

Also, please no metal handle. I would love canvas micarta scales but dark colored G10 would be almost as great. For the steel, I would prefer something other than VG10, s30v, or s35vn. HAP40, M4, 3v, K390, CRUWEAR, or M390 all sound great to me. This is really exciting! I've lusted after a lum tanto folder for as long as I can remember.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Polished White G-10 with Blue Zome, Stainless pocket clip, Clad HAP 40 or Super Blue.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Polished g10 is a great idea. I. Would like to second that notion. Smurf Blue would rock
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

YES PLEASE. I would honestly be happy with any configuration, however a m390 with CF scales would be amazing.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Hap40 and polished black G10 would be great if don't want to use micarta Sal. If you could get an antique Ivory color in G10 that would also be sweet. White gets grubby almost instantly in use.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

Hap40 seems like a great steel choice. As for handle color I'm down for most picks. I do really like the grey used on the Cruwear runs.
Danke

Post by Danke »

I like where this thread is going. For sure Hap 40 for the steel. For the scales something Micarta would really suit; a burlap or thunderstorm colour would do it for me.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Elforyn would be the dog's dangly bits. Oh, and did i mention clay hamon? :D
EDIT: Blue Nishijin would be really nice as well!
Last edited by Larry_Mott on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Larry_Mott wrote:Elforyn would be the dog's dangly bits. Oh, and did i mention clay hamon? :D
Elforyn is a great idea! I wonder if it's difficult to work with. I don't know much about that material except that it looks awesome.

Failing that, I really like the white g10 idea.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:Elforyn would be the dog's dangly bits. Oh, and did i mention clay hamon? :D
Elforyn is a great idea! I wonder if it's difficult to work with. I don't know much about that material except that it looks awesome.

Failing that, I really like the white g10 idea.
From what i have heard (from flute and uilleann pipes makers) Elforyn is not particularily hard to work with. I think Cuscadi have done some scales as well.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I too am liking the Hap40 with polished Ivory G10 or Micarta. Would be very clean looking. :spyder:
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would love tan G10 and also for ivory although I'm not sure how well ivory G10 works, have mainly seen good ivory paper micarta.

Cruwear would be very cool and I can imagine that a clad Japanese steel would be very cool with a hamon effect although I wonder how that would look with the clad line 'changing' when the grind changes from hollow to saber at the tip.
I have no experience with HAP40, does anyone have a good idea of how it would work in a hollow grind?
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I've got four of them, but I think a VG10 with some type of carbon laminated would be good.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Joris Mo wrote:Would love tan G10 and also for ivory although I'm not sure how well ivory G10 works, have mainly seen good ivory paper micarta.

Cruwear would be very cool and I can imagine that a clad Japanese steel would be very cool with a hamon effect although I wonder how that would look with the clad line 'changing' when the grind changes from hollow to saber at the tip.
I have no experience with HAP40, does anyone have a good idea of how it would work in a hollow grind?
I've seen antique ivory in linen as well as the more common paper. Yellow linen looks great when aged, but Sal is a bit reluctant to use micarta :(