Complete list of Sal Glesser designs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Complete list of Sal Glesser designs

Post by sal »

Here's a few I've done:

Endura
Delica
Dragonfly
Ladybug (is a small Endura suggested by Sumio Sakai)
Manbug
Police (1-4)
Native
Hunter
Pro-Hunter / Pro-Venator
Executive
CoPilot
Harpy
SpyderHawk
SuperHawk
Temperance
Lil' Temperance
ATR
D'Allara
Mule Team
Cara Cara (& Rescue)
Meadowlark (& Rescue & Hawkbill)
Robin
Starling
Raven
Crow

sal
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Doc Dan wrote:All of my favorite designs are Sal designs. There may be only one exception and I am waiting on it to arrive.
Haha! Somewhat similar here although it's not just one exception but waiting on Eric's new backlock as well. :)

Great list to see Sal, always love seeing the older 80's & 90's models as well since it also reminds me of eyeing them in stores but in no way being able to afford them, got my first Spydie in '01. (also just love the classic designs)

Would love to see that complete list eventually.. (illustrated?) :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

You know we talk a lot about Spyderco's great collaborations with other premier knife makers and knife designers and many of them I deem to be among the very best like "JD Smith, Massad Ayoob, Bob Lum ect,>> but I've said it before on at least a dozen occasions that Sal & Eric Glesser have both given us many premium models that they have designed over the years that will compete with any of those great aforementioned models. I still think that Sal Glesser's TEMPERANCE 1 model is about my all time most favorite fixed blade model I've ever held in my hand>> and I would still love to see an H-1 Salt version of that model. Oh yes I realize that many of you think many of the newer designs like the TEMPERANCE 2 are better but I humbly disagree with that. I just feel like he got the TEMPERANCE 1 model perfect the first time>>> and it really rocks in Spyderedge :cool:

Sal & Eric's blade designs are not only unique and aesthetically appealing to the eye but most of them are also extremely functional for such specialized designs. Take Eric's DODO model for instance>> most people regard it as a novelty type design but I've actually carried and EDCed my Dodo on many occasions to discover that it is a great all purpose EDC blade. I think the Dodo model is the best EDC carry for it's size range period. You sure wouldn't think so by just looking at it>> because until I actually put it to the test I didn't take it seriously at all.

Sal's entire CALYPSO model family are truly unbelievable and I like everyone of them. And who else would have come up with a genius design, folding fillet knife like the Catcherman. I rest my case :cool:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm a Temperance II man all the way :D :D
The Caly 3.5 was 2nd Spyderco. (Vallotton 1st)
But the Caly 3.5 was what really got me interested in more Spydercos. I think my next was a Manix 2 XL and the so on and so forth lol...
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

sal wrote:Here's a few I've done:

Endura
Delica
Dragonfly
Manbug
Police (1-4)
Native
Hunter
Pro-Hunter / Pro-Venator
Executive
CoPilot
Harpy
SpyderHawk
SuperHawk
Temperance
Lil' Temperance
ATR
D'Allara
Mule Team
Cara Cara (& Rescue)
Robin
Starling
Raven
Crow

sal
Sal,

Do you have a favorite among that list? I notice a little pattern in the names as well :)

Thanks for all you do! I really enjoy being part of this "community"

-Ken
:spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Ken,

I really like them all or I never would have run with the design. I'm a bit anal about "getting it right", by my standards, as is Eric. I have noticed that my preferences have evolved as I've matured, but I still carry a different knife every day, usually a proto or concept that I'm testing (carried the "MO" yesterday, "Alistair" today and stainless Chappie tomorrow).

sal
Last edited by sal on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

sal wrote:Thanxx Ken,

I really like them all or I never would have run with the design. I'm a bit anal about "getting it right", by my standards, as is Eric. I have noticed that my preferences have evolved as I've matured, but I still carry a different knife every day, usually a proto or concept that I'm testing (carried the "MO" yesterday, "Alistair" today and stainless Chappie tomorrow).

sal
Thanks for the response Sal! Care to share any pics? We'd obviously LOVE to see some of the knives you carry, me personally I am very curious to what the " :spyder: man" himself carries on a daily basis.

(never hurts to ask, right! :D)
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry Ken,

Still too soon.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

JD Spydo wrote: And who else would have come up with a genius design, folding fillet knife like the Catcherman. I rest my case :cool:
Sorry JD, I can't claim the Catcherman (other than the name). It was designed by Sumio Sakai.

sal
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

sal wrote:Sorry Ken,

Still too soon.

sal
I figured as much, but like I said it never hurts to ask :) Appreciate your time!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

sal wrote:Here's a few I've done:

Endura
Delica
Dragonfly
Manbug
Police (1-4)
Native
Hunter
Pro-Hunter / Pro-Venator
Executive
CoPilot
Harpy
SpyderHawk
SuperHawk
Temperance
Lil' Temperance
ATR
D'Allara
Mule Team
Cara Cara (& Rescue)
Robin
Starling
Raven
Crow

sal
Hi Sal,

Thank you! I guess you only listed those without marks as Stretch and Stretch 2 are missing!

Glad to know that the Cara2 series also your design. There's certain ergonomics familiarity there :cool:.
Chris :spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

You know, I forgot about the Byrd knives. About a year ago I was in Golden and spent a couple of hours fondling everything in the showroom. That was the first time I had ever had the opportunity to handle the Byrd knives. I'll go on record right now saying that on pure design they were some of my favorite knives in the showroom! I mean there are really some hidden gems in that line! Anybody who has ever asked for a Delica with a choil should check out the meadowlark. I bought one!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wait, a stainless Chaparral?!!!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Lance,

A choil Endura is Cara Cara. I'm getting them again. ;)
Chris :spyder:
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Renegade and companion Maverick.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mac, the Renegade and the Blackhawk. :o also mine, made in Golden.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Military?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Yup, that's mine also.

sal
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Hi Sal, why don't put your mark in the millie?
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Elmer,

Just never got around to it. I guess I will add my tag to all of my models in time. Most of the sustaining models are min or Eric's so I didn't want to make a big deal of it. "Man who beat on own chest knock self over backwards". Now that Eric is designing more and we're doing more design collaborations, I'll start to add it.

sal