Somebody Stole My Maxamet Native

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Somebody Stole My Maxamet Native

Post by ZrowsN1s »

At 7pm on a whim I decided to see where in the US my MAXAMET Native was, I had received notice it was to arrive on friday. To my excitement I saw that it was listed a delivered at 4:30! 2 days early! That's weird I thought, I've been sitting here all afternoon and didn't hear a knock or a doorbell. So I ran to the front door to claim my prize..... no package. I get the mailbox key, look in mailbox, no package. Look everywhere, ask the neighbors, no package. A mix of panic and anger are creeping in now.... Someone stole my %$&*# MAXAMET Native :mad: I didn't even get to see it. So upset it's hard to form words. Filed Police report online, filed complaint with usps, told BHQ, filed lost/stolen claim with credit card co (Hopefully they will cover and I'm not out $150). BHQ was out of stock, so ordered a new one from GP Knives, and shipped UPS this time.

A cautionary tale.
1st. USPS delivery is shady as h***. I don't want to sound bitter because I had a bad experience but oh well, I'm never shipping with USPS again. This is the first stolen package, but far from the first problem I've had with them. No notifications, wrong dates, notes that say "sorry we missed you", when you are home! I've had problems with usps for a while, this was the last straw. UPS from now on. It's worth the extra money.

2nd. I requested they leave it at the door because of previous problems I've had with USPS leaving notes on my door saying sorry we missed you when I'm home. This was a mistake on my part. I thought worst case scenario, I reorder... Well, I did. And looking back on it, I'm always going to require a signature for my deliveries from now on. Because it's not just reordering, it's filling out police reports, and credit card claims, and feeling ripped off. Having to take 30 minutes out of my day to drive to the post office to pick something up (even if your package was supposed to be delivered on friday and you can't pick it up from the post office till monday) is better than this. :(
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SG89

Re: Somebody Stole My $*&%# Maxamet Native

Post by SG89 »

Sorry this happened to you. As someone who used to work for usps...many many times, postal workers will scan a package as delivered and not actually deliver it bc they are too lazy to get out of the vehicle/trying to leave work early and dont feel like taking extra time to deliver packages...only to deliver it the very next day. Not saying this happened with your situation but it does happen like this in my hometown.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Sorry this happened to you. As someone who used to work for usps...many many times, postal workers will scan a package as delivered and not actually deliver it bc they are too lazy to get out of the vehicle/trying to leave work early and dont feel like taking extra time to deliver packages...only to deliver it the very next day. Not saying this happened with your situation but it does happen like this in my hometown.
It's happened to me as well only to be delivered the next day

I've also had something show up 2 months later LOL
ZrowsN1s

Re: Somebody Stole My Maxamet Native

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Popsickle wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:Sorry this happened to you. As someone who used to work for usps...many many times, postal workers will scan a package as delivered and not actually deliver it bc they are too lazy to get out of the vehicle/trying to leave work early and dont feel like taking extra time to deliver packages...only to deliver it the very next day. Not saying this happened with your situation but it does happen like this in my hometown.

Thanks SG.
Well it would be interesting to try to undo the credit claim, the police report, the angry emails, and not to mention the replacement knife I've already ordered.... If it shows up tomorrow, I might even be more pis***d-off at usps than I already am. I was in a good mood today too :/
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Popsickle wrote:

Thanks SG.
Well it would be interesting to try to undo the credit claim, the police report, the angry emails, and not to mention the replacement knife I've already ordered.... If it shows up tomorrow, I might even be more pis***d-off at usps than I already am. I was in a good mood today too :/
Now that's what I call a knee jerk reaction :eek:

Good luck
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

What was I not supposed to assume theft when I get a notice that says delivered and there is no knife to be found? No one told me about USPS "just kidding" deliveries. Lost/stolen claims for credit card purchases need to be made immediately, and you can't make a claim without the police report. As for re-ordering so quickly, they already sold out again at BHQ and they aren't in stock anywhere else besides Gp, I've been waiting for this knife since December, I'm not going to chance missing it or waiting another month.... But yeah, if I have to return a knife and pay a re-stock fee because usps is incompetent and told me my package was delivered when it wasn't leaving me to assume theft, I will be more upset, than if it was the fault of a thief.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ZrowsN1s wrote:What was I not supposed to assume theft when I get a notice that says delivered and there is no knife to be found? No one told me about USPS "just kidding" deliveries. Lost/stolen claims for credit card purchases need to be made immediately, and you can't make a claim without the police report. As for re-ordering so quickly, they already sold out again at BHQ and they aren't in stock anywhere else besides Gp, I've been waiting for this knife since December, I'm not going to chance missing it or waiting another month.... But yeah, if I have to return a knife and pay a re-stock fee because usps is incompetent and told me my package was delivered when it wasn't leaving me to assume theft, I will be more upset, than if it was the fault of a thief.
In stock at knifeworks.com right now.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks. I got one from GP knives because I saw they had them in stock in another thread. I usually go BHQ or Knife Center, but had no luck at either. BHQ is where I ordered the one that was stolen.

*I suppose it's worth mentioning I went to the trouble of creating an account profile, password, filled out address ect. with usps and requested text updates for all activity. Still haven't got a single one, double checked, I gave them the right number. Sorry I know I'm not leaving shiny footprints here, I will stop venting now.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have never had a problem resolving an issue like you describe, especially when paying for something with a card. Are there a lot of package thefts in your area? I know in some cities it is becoming an organized thing. The USPS won't even come to my house, I have to pick all of my packages up at my post office. It is hard to get mail when you are hiding in the woods....

Since you reacted before even posting there isn't much advice to be given. If it is lost then I am truly sorry and if you will be having crow for lunch, well, I am still sorry.

If I was in your shoes I would have taken a couple of deep breaths and waited till morning then called the Post Office to see what was going on. I would have felt comfortable that the problem would be resolved one way or another and I could have avoided a possible overreaction. These things happen all the time and USPS tracking is unreliable. I hope everything works out for you brother. I feel pretty confident that the worst case scenario is that you end up with two Maxamet Natives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had good luck with them for the most part but their delivery estimations are always wacky. I did just ship a couple knives out to get reground through them and they arrived the day they predicted but they also only shipped 2 hours south of me (I was tempted to just make the drive myself). Like Spydergirl said I'm certain they've skipped me on deliveries just to get off on time especially if it doesn't fit in the mailbox​ or if it's sign on delivery.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Popsickle wrote: It's happened to me as well only to be delivered the next day
Me too. It's not a regular thing and I've generally found USPS to be reliable (with the caveats already mentioned) but that "delivered" notice has happened 3-4 times over the years. I would never have known if I wasn't quite so anal about tracking everything inbound, haha. Oh well.

Regardless I always give them an extra day or two before sounding battle stations.

Hope it works out for you.

Ken
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Most likely it will be delivered next day.
Newgraham has them in stock too.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Reliability of delivery depends a lot on the specific delivery person.

At my office, UPS is terrible--the guy with that route is too lazy to even get out of his truck and just marks all the businesses in the entire area as "closed" and then never delivers everything. But he's union, so despite (many, many) complaints to local and corporate management by multiple local businesses, the situation just continues.

But at my home, UPS is fine.

USPS I've never had a problem with, and my Fedex driver (who has both my home and office in her area) is amazing--I'll come home and find a note saying "you weren't here so I'm taking this to your office" (or vice versa).

I also get a lot of international DHL shipments for my business, and the local DHL delivery contractor is really sharp too--they call my cell phone and ask where I want the package delivered (home or office) and what time I'll be there before they attempt delivery.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

sorry for your loss, that's crazy for sure. around here, fedex are the folks to watch out for. thankfully, my letter carrier has been on our route for 20+ years. i couldn't ask for better. every parcel small enough to do so, he puts it inside the back door, rings the bell and raps loudly on the door. above and beyond i think. ups, another veteran of the route. i get all of my stuff but there have been occasions i get someone else's stuff. but fedex, i'd walk barefoot thru **** to have anyone but them deliver to my home.
i hope your situation gets solved promptly.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Popsickle wrote:Now that's what I call a knee jerk reaction :eek:

Good luck
Ya think? Unbe-freaking-lievable. I was chuckling at his first post, until I realized he wasn't joking. :eek: That last one insured his place on my "never, never, ever sell a knife to" list.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
timlara

Post by timlara »

Popsickle wrote:

Same scenario is common with the carriers on my neighborhood route. I frequently get tracking notifications that a package is going to be here on a Friday, then it ends up either not showing up with the paper mail, or getting a mysterious "shipment delayed" status. Sometimes there is no status update, then it magically shows up on Monday. That was my guess as well -- somebody wanted an early start to the weekend. :)

In my cases, I absolutely consider it a "first world problem" and for the most part couldn't care less about the delay, but I'd prefer it if USPS just built in an extra "cushion" day to the tracking status rather than over-promising and under-delivering.

Anyway, I hope your original package shows up, OP. If it does, I'm thinking you could very easily either return it or find someone on the forums to take it off your hands since demand will outweigh supply for a while on this model.
Tim
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

Consider setting up security cameras. It may or may not deter would-be thieves but at least you'll know for sure what happened.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Waiting a day or two before taking all of the above steps (police report, CC cancellation etc) will often lead to simple fuss-free resolution, with little downside risk for the delay if later you do decide to take those steps.

USPS can go above and beyond "normal" care at times, also. I recently had a package marked as "Delivered" which was absent when I got home from work late that night; despite a few other parcels for a family member also being delivered the same day (no porch theft). Early the next morning there was knock at the door. My regular mail carrier was there first thing in the morning, with the package.

He had been out a couple of days caring for his child with medical problems, and the substitute carrier had set aside the package for him with a note. Seems he had scanned the pkg (small bubble envelope/knife) as delivered, but somehow left it in his bag, and didn't notice til much later,at end of shift. The regular carrier came by very early to personally hand off the pkg to someone (and would have come by at end of day if no one had been home in a.m. or with the regular delivery).

Of course there can be bad apples, and systemic issues, but there are also good apples--often unseen.

When things don't go smoothly, remain unruffled; hasty reflexive action can create far more stress for you.
Good luck with the knife turning up A-OK.

(the TLDR version: chill, dude ;-)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

It's a mystery to me that USPS, UPS, FedEx etc. are as fast and honest as they are. Rare events, such as the OP's, lead to wholly understandable anger, but this anger makes us forget the rareness and we end up crapping all over our house.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jdw

Post by jdw »

Same here. USPS showed it delivered and it didn't show for a couple of days. When my neighbor got home from out of town she brought the missing package to me. An honest mistake that was easily resolved.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka