Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want the Bob Lum Tanto Folder to return? Yes or no?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 155

Liquid Cobra

Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Every week or so someone creates a new Lum Tanto thread, it gets a few comments and then disappears. Is this because there isn't much interest in it's return? Is it because it happens so often it doesn't get as much attention as it deserves? Is it because you all have one and don't need another?

I understand that the tanto blade shape isn't as useful as the blade shapes Spyderco typically uses but that doesn't mean there isn't a place for it in the lineup. Some people just prefer to carry tanto's. I think if Spyderco was to carry a single tanto blade in its lineup the Lum Tanto should be it. The knife is a classic.

I've seen the sprint version of this knife sell for over $300 on the secondary market. Sure it's a collectors item, but it's also a well built knife that stands out as a unique product in the Spyderco line up. I believe that's why it commands such a high price. People want a Tanto, and they want it on a Spyderco!

So how about it? Are you in or are you out? Let's make this the end all be all Lum Tanto thread! Share your pictures, your thoughts, your likes, your dislikes. Can you sharpen a Tanto blade? Do you find it useful? Do you care if it's useful? Me, I like it from an aesthetic point of view. It's kind of like a piece of art in a way.

So vote. Do you want to see the Lum Tanto return?

Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Re: Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I vote Yes. But please, not till next year. my wish list runneth over.
*backlock
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Im absolutely in! Gimme two!
-Nick :bug-red
adamlau

Post by adamlau »

I voted no because I want more of Spyderco's time dedicated to the early release of the Shaman ;) . For only then will we be privy to Shaman sprint runs and dealer exclusives. I figure the Shaman to overcome the PM2 as my favorite Spyderco model after the Military :) . But I am not outright opposed to the Lum Tanto...
Nate

Post by Nate »

I voted yes. Even though it would probably be mostly a safe queen for me, I've always wanted to have one. It really screams "classic" to me as well. Easily in my top 5 best looking folders, in no small part due to that ^^ pic.
:spyder:
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I fully agree with Liquid Cobra that the Lum Tanto is a classic and work of art. I picked up a couple of the grey G-10''s when they came out, and even though they see no use they are one of my favorite Spydies. Voted yes as others should have the opportunity to have such a beautiful knife. I suspect these will make a reappearance at some point and are perhaps already somewhere in line as they are so highly sought. Thanks Spyderco for bringing us art in knives. Nice photo. :spyder:
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

yes yes yes
cru-wear please :)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd love to see it reborn! A Micarta scaled one with a whisker thicker lock bar would be ace!
I'd also love to see all Lum designs kicking around Sals and Eric's offices in Golden that never made it into production..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Absolutely yes from me. I am in for whatever steel and color is selected.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The longer it goes with no production, the more people romanticize how great it was. Lots of other examples like this one
Chuck_Chin

Post by Chuck_Chin »

**** yes! When I figure out how to attach my pics I'll post my collection
FK

Post by FK »

Yes however, I want upgraded steel, not S30V,,, something else as a Sprint run.

I had one when they were initially introduced,,, very sorry it was sold off.

Regards,
FK
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yes a fancy steel would be nice but I'll take a new version of this knife any way I can get it. VG10, S30V, HAP40, ZDP189...

I found some more of my old pics.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Voted yes, Lum Tanto sprint has been on my wish list for some time now, they're out there but the secondary price is pretty steep.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jonholst

Post by Jonholst »

Yes!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Huh, for some reason I never noticed the lum was bigger than a pm2. That's what happens when you only see things in pictures I guess.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

meh... I would pass but if yous guys all want one I hope yous get one... Not every knife is for everybody. I would agree that the aftermarket prices point to a sprint being a worthwhile venture. There is obviously some interest out there.

Welcome Jonholst!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

beautiful blade that lum tanto but long gone are my days of buying "just to have." i'd never use it. bearfacedkiller said it so eloquently in the post above me....
if yous guys all want one I hope yous get one
41Mag

Post by 41Mag »

Even if I don't have a major use for that style of a blade, that knife is just to cool to vote no. I give it a big YES!
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Given this model is produced in Japan I am guessing a local steel would be most likely and the lead time would be long even if we get a yes on this.