H1 Fix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
levs18

H1 Fix

Post by levs18 »

I've really been enjoying Spyderco's fixed blades and just picked up 2 more. I've had the Aqua Salt for a while but the Rock Salt and Jumpmaster 2 are brand new. Both feel great in hand. I'm hoping that we see the Jumpmaster 2 in some other steels and configurations, it has an amazing feel and in hand and is very easy to carry. For anyone on the fence, pick one up!

VashHash

Re: H1 Fix

Post by VashHash »

I really need to grab an aqua salt. I put it off last time and never got around to it. I've got an original rock salt and its a great knife. I'm still on the fence about the jump master 2. It makes me think of an H1 temperance.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Nice H1 collection.

I'm set on going with the Jumpmaster, but if I miss out on getting one out of remaining stock, I think I'll be happy with the JM 2.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the JM2

I own most Salts and I am a true Aqua Salt lover, and while I also dig the JM a lot I'd rather have it pointy like the other 2

any comparison with an Aqua Salt (sheath, weight, feel, thinness, etc) would be very appreciated, I'm still on the fence with this one!

Thanks ;)
levs18

Post by levs18 »

ThePeacent wrote:I'd love to hear your thoughts on the JM2

I own most Salts and I am a true Aqua Salt lover, and while I also dig the JM a lot I'd rather have it pointy like the other 2

any comparison with an Aqua Salt (sheath, weight, feel, thinness, etc) would be very appreciated, I'm still on the fence with this one!

Thanks ;)
I'm out of town right know, but I'll post some more comparison pics between the Jumpmaster 2 and the Aqua Salt when I get home in a few weeks. I can tell you that, to me, the JM2 feels better in hand that the AS. It feels more agile and ready to do some serious work.
Zen

Post by Zen »

The gripstyle on this knifes is the best I can think off. If there only were a Jumpmaster 2 with plainedge :(
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Zen wrote:The gripstyle on this knifes is the best I can think off. If there only were a Jumpmaster 2 with plainedge :(
Adding serrations is a lot harder than taking them off. I think a PE jump master 2 could easily be achieved after purchasing an SE model
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

levs18 wrote: I'm out of town right know, but I'll post some more comparison pics between the Jumpmaster 2 and the Aqua Salt when I get home in a few weeks. I can tell you that, to me, the JM2 feels better in hand that the AS. It feels more agile and ready to do some serious work.

I'd wish the Aqua Salt's forward blade profile didn't turn up the way it does.
levs18

Post by levs18 »

So here are some more comparison shots between the Aqua Salt and the JM2. I would love to see a plain edge of this, maybe in LC200N? I've heard that it has better edge retention than H1 for plain edge knives, but I'm just going off of things I've read.

Over all, I prefer the feel of the JM2 to the AS. The handle is thinner, but feels WAY better. The JM2 feels like a do all, handle most tasks (not chopping) very well. I love the handle texturing and that it's and overall lightweight package. It also feels very capable from a combatives stand point, given the guard and balance. I would love to have a blacked out, plain edge version (just like the AS). Finally, I prefer the sheath to the AS. I'm pretty sure the two are made from the same material, so this is completely subjective. The JM2 sheath just feels like it has a slightly higher fit and finish. I like that the JM2 does not have that "slit" in the sheath entrance.

I actually took the JM2 hiking with me yesterday. Serrated edges are not my "go to" for hiking, but I figured why not? I didn't use it much, but it handled everything perfectly.

In conclusion, I couldn't recommend it more!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the pics and review.

In my opinion, the JM2 is an ideal Bug Out Bag model.

sal
JimP

Post by JimP »

Thanks for the pics, the top down view of the jumpmaster was a real eye opener, I didn't realise how streamlined it was compared to the Aqua.

Love the Aqua Salt though, such a good all rounder, it would be great to see it in a variety of steels/grinds..... ;)
Zen

Post by Zen »

How thick is the handle on the the Jumpmaster 2 ?
Maybe someone has the Enuff too and could compare the handles on both knives for showing if it is the same.