KW Excl: Mil CF/Ti R.I.L. S90V = Mid May?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sirens1

KW Excl: Mil CF/Ti R.I.L. S90V = Mid May?!

Post by Sirens1 »

Spyderco is definately bringing it for 2017! Any thoughts on this knife? I hope to get one, but I have no experience with s90v.
tripscheck'em

Re: KW Excl: Mil CF/Ti R.I.L. S90V = Mid May?!

Post by tripscheck'em »

Sirens1 wrote:Spyderco is definately bringing it for 2017! Any thoughts on this knife? I hope to get one, but I have no experience with s90v.
Probably won't get one, just too expensive and I already have s90v. S90v itself? Great edge retention but hard to sharpen on the Spyderco fine ceramics. A micro-bevel is pretty much a necessity. Not noticeably weaker than s30v. I love it.
brj

Post by brj »

Spyderco's S90V is the cat's pajamas and these guys are anxiously waiting for the new brother to join them

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I really want to buy a millie, but it's gotta get changed to a compression lock before I do.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

Ryno wrote:I really want to buy a millie, but it's gotta get changed to a compression lock before I do.
Fair enough, but you're missing out :rolleyes:
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

Definitely will be picking one up. One of the sprints I really don't want to miss this year.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really want to like it because it combines so many things I love but something is lost when you make the Military heavier and this thing has some heft to to. I think I'd just assume have regular liner and full CF than titanium.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

TheChunk91 wrote:
Ryno wrote:I really want to buy a millie, but it's gotta get changed to a compression lock before I do.
Fair enough, but you're missing out :rolleyes:
I really do believe I would enjoy the dimensions but the compression lock is #1 in my book and if I'm spending more than $200 for a knife it should at least be as good as the PM2.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm gonna have to make a bold statement here and say the PM2 is a mere shadow of what the Military is. I too prefer the compression lock but the liner lock does make sense for the purpose of the Military and it's among the best liner locks available. I'm honestly not sure if I would be as happy with a Military with a compression lock (but I would definitely give it a shot).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

Evil D wrote:I'm gonna have to make a bold statement here and say the PM2 is a mere shadow of what the Military is. I too prefer the compression lock but the liner lock does make sense for the purpose of the Military and it's among the best liner locks available. I'm honestly not sure if I would be as happy with a Military with a compression lock (but I would definitely give it a shot).
That is a bold statement.

I view the pm2 as a more "balanced" per se version of the military. It appeals to a wider range of people and is a more standard size with an excellent unique and appealing lock but that doesn't necissarily mean it's better in the strictest sense.

I prefer the military and I love liner locks, they are simple and great. The military is probably the most refined liner lock of any of them, that makes it even better.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am with David, the Military is the king.

I don't think that I am willing to pay what they are asking. There are not gonna move too fast at that price point so I am gonna wait for a price drop or pass.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I like the comp lock better than the liner lock, and I'm not a Mili or PM2 guy, but I think I have to agree that the Mili is a better implementation than the PM2.

Everything I don't like about the Mili is related to carrying it discretely or getting it out and open easily/quickly. The blade shape and handle/grip profile are fantastic, and I definitely prefer them in the "full size" package.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Evil D wrote:I really want to like it because it combines so many things I love but something is lost when you make the Military heavier and this thing has some heft to to. I think I'd just assume have regular liner and full CF than titanium.
We already have an all-CF S90V, though - even if a little hard to find and pricey.

I really prefer the hybrid frame lock version that KW offered a few years ago, and I'll be buying one of these. I like the balance better, and I find it easier to unlock, especially with gloves.

Here's my franken-Millie built from the original KW exclusive, with an M390 blade and an orange scale swapped in:

ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

This one has me most intrigued. Very pricey but I do not have a hybrid ti framelock millie in the collection. I like s90v too. Decisions decisions.

For those that have them hoe do you like the hybrid vs the standard g10 and vs the fluted ti Millie?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm going to have to try this one for the frame lock. :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Just got email notice from KW's, looks like May 3, 0800 cst is the drop date, who all's it, me for sure.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I doubt I'll get this one, going to be too heavy, the military is already perfect weight as is. And oh boy that liner lock is the bees knees!!! I dont think I would buy one with a compression lock.
Josh
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

What is the weight on these half-breeds? 4.8-5.1oz?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I had the same question re weight. These are set to release next Wednesday May 3 at 8:00 am CST. :spyder:
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

The improvement I'd like on the Military liner lock would be for it to sit closer to flush. Not flush like the Bradley's, but a little less exposed.