LC200 N or H1 whats the difference?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I am thinking of getting one or the other which has better edge retention. It is between the H1 Salt pe full size or SpydieChef.
Surfingringo

Re: LC200 N or H1 whats the difference?

Post by Surfingringo »

Lc200n has better edge retention in plain edge. It's definitely no maxamet, haha, but it significantly outperforms H1 in my use. The problem with both of these steels is a lack of strength which can cause edge deformation when cutting harder media. H1 seems to be much more prone to that deformation and because of that will go dull almost immediately if pushed beyond its capabilities. Lc200n performs much better in that regard. My theory is this is largely a result of hardness. I believe Spyderco is getting their Lc200n to around 59 where H1 (if I had to guess) is probably closer to the mid 50's. Long story short, pe Lc200n meets my performance threshold for an everyday use knife or a fish cleaning knife, whereas pe H1 comes in a bit below that threshold.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Not an expert, but both are extremely corrosion resistant. H1 might actually be corrosion proof. H1 is really good for serrated, dulls pretty quick for pe. Early reviews of lc200n indicate better edge retention for plain edge.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Surfingringo wrote:Lc200n has better edge retention in plain edge. It's definitely no maxamet, haha, but it significantly outperforms H1 in my use. The problem with both of these steels is a lack of strength which can cause edge deformation when cutting harder media. H1 seems to be much more prone to that deformation and because of that will go dull almost immediately if pushed beyond its capabilities. Lc200n performs much better in that regard. My theory is this is largely a result of hardness. I believe Spyderco is getting their Lc200n to around 59 where H1 (if I had to guess) is probably closer to the mid 50's. Long story short, pe Lc200n meets my performance threshold for an everyday use knife or a fish cleaning knife, whereas pe H1 comes in a bit below that threshold.
Thanks Gringo! That's all I need to know. LC200n it is. Just want it for being out in the canoe with the kids. Also for our trip to Florida.The salt water pools and the beach will be hard on M4 and my Maxamet.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Both seem to be fully corrosion proof. I have left both steels in the kayak unwashed and baking in a compartment full of salty water residue. Months without a freshwater rinse and I've never seen a speck of rust on either one.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mic1 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Lc200n has better edge retention in plain edge. It's definitely no maxamet, haha, but it significantly outperforms H1 in my use. The problem with both of these steels is a lack of strength which can cause edge deformation when cutting harder media. H1 seems to be much more prone to that deformation and because of that will go dull almost immediately if pushed beyond its capabilities. Lc200n performs much better in that regard. My theory is this is largely a result of hardness. I believe Spyderco is getting their Lc200n to around 59 where H1 (if I had to guess) is probably closer to the mid 50's. Long story short, pe Lc200n meets my performance threshold for an everyday use knife or a fish cleaning knife, whereas pe H1 comes in a bit below that threshold.
Thanks Gringo! That's all I need to know. LC200n it is. Just want it for being out in the canoe with the kids. Also for our trip to Florida.The salt water pools and the beach will be hard on M4 and my Maxamet.
If you want plain edge then I would go with the spydiechef for sure. If you are willing to go se then the pacific salt or salt 1 are pretty awesome.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Have both PE H1 and LC200N and SE H1. I'll echo the Gringo and SF Native regarding performance.

Evidently the serrating process hardens H1 and renders SE H1 utterly magical.

Serrating LC200N has me wondering whether it might be made too brittle...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:Have both PE H1 and LC200N and SE H1. I'll echo the Gringo and SF Native regarding performance.

Does it work harden like H1?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

It's pe all the way for me I never could get serrated knives sharp again. I know it sounds paranoid but I always have a knife even in my swimming suit while at the pool in Disney .
I did consider and am still sorta considering se just because It would keep cutting while on vacation without needing my sharpening gear.
ColeAK

Post by ColeAK »

Haha I know I’m not alone, I also carry a life even in the pool on vacation. I have a salt-I PE I’ve had for about 5 years. Have it in my pocket 2 weeks a year in Hawaii (pools, ocean) and when I’m salmon fishing in the summer. No rust but I do flush it and dry it every evening after use, and I sharpen it before I go on vacation and edge lasts just fine for 2 weeks of fairly hard use. I like it so much I also got an aqua salt PE that is now my dive/snorkel knife. H1 Edge retention is not as good as s30v or s35vn in my other go to knives but honistly I would have no complaints if the “salt’s” were my only folder and fixed. Last summer I carried my aqua salt as my backpacking/hunting knife (instead of my benchmade bushcraft).

I’ll disclose that I don’t have many knives and don’t know much about steel. I tend to find something that works and I like then use it for a long time.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

LC200N is a much better all-around steel, in and out of the water, whereas H1 has serious disadvantages for everyday carry (particularly in terms of edge holding). I'd recommend LC200N to anybody for general ownership and use, but would recommend H1 only to somebody who's anticipating the knife being wet more often than dry.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm getting a funny feeling that we are going to see more of these "nitrogen based" steels coming down the product pipeline before too long. With the success that H-1 and LC200N have both had thus far would lead me to believe that there is more in store in this most curious sector the blade market. It's funny too that Spyderco wasn't the first big gun on the market with H-1>> Actually Benchmade used it in one of their dive knives about two years before the TASMAN and some of the other Salt Series models ever say the light of day.

But I don't think that many knife makers during it's early stages were aware of the corrosion proof properties of H-1. And it seems that LC200N may even become more popular than H-1 before it's said and done because of it's better plain edge performance.

It is extremely curious to me as to why H-1 does so well in Spyderedge when it doesn't even rank as "average" in the plain edge sector :confused: ???

But I do believe both of these most interesting nitrogen based blade steels will be here for some time.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:Have both PE H1 and LC200N and SE H1. I'll echo the Gringo and SF Native regarding performance.

Does it work harden like H1?
That's an interesting question because I've wondered about that myself. I do wonder if that "Work Hardening" aspect isn't one of the hallmarks of nitrogen based steels in general? I sure wish that Cliff Stamp would start hanging around here again. I do remember him saying some technical stuff about H-1 in particular shortly before he disappeared from Spyderville. But I don't remember if that was one of the aspects he spoke of concerning that type of steel.

Nitrogen based steel is truly a different animal all together and I can actually tell just by feeling it with my fingers that it has distinctively different properties all together. Maybe our good Brother Ankerson might know the answer to that question. If he doesn't chime in soon I'll try to PM him.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

LC200n isn't wear hardening. It's a copy of Cromidor 30 bearing steel. It's heat treated.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cole,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey JD, I agree that we will see not only Nitrogen steels, but steels with Nitrogen added, like BD1N.

We don'e really know much about LC serrated. lab tests only. The first will be the Caribbean.

sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:20 pm
Hi Cole,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey JD, I agree that we will see not only Nitrogen steels, but steels with Nitrogen added, like BD1N.

We don'e really know much about LC serrated. lab tests only. The first will be the Caribbean.

sal
I'm very excited about BD1N.

Can't wait
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:44 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Cole,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Yeah that would be a great blade steel to use for the upcoming G-10 Harpy!!! hint, hint

But the nitrogen based steels have truly been a most interesting and very functional addition to the main Spyderco line up.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:28 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:44 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Cole,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Yeah that would be a great blade steel to use for the upcoming G-10 Harpy!!! hint, hint

But the nitrogen based steels have truly been a most interesting and very functional addition to the main Spyderco line up.

to the point that my lineup is basically H1 in all shapes and colors :D

LC200N hasa brilliant future and not only for those looking for rust-proof blades :cool:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal wrote:
Hi Cole,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

This is so cool, amazing, and incredibly fascinating, sal. It is like we are living science fiction out into science fact right before our eyes, right?

I told you and others this before but when I was a youth I wrote various science fiction short stories and one of the ongoing background themes was the existence of a new stainless steel that was completely rust-proof, not merely rust-resistant.
At the time, metallurgical experts I spoke with told me that mankind would not, based on their estimates, create a truly rust-PROOF steel for at least another 100-150 years, or longer. They assured me at the time that 440 series stainless and 154 CM were the peak/apex of stain-resistant steel that was suitable for knife blades (300 series was mentioned but not considered good for edge-holding) and nothing would beat those for rust-resistance for at least another century.

And now you brought us h1 and lc200n. Thank you ! :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:21 pm
Lc200n has better edge retention in plain edge. It's definitely no maxamet, haha, but it significantly outperforms H1 in my use. The problem with both of these steels is a lack of strength which can cause edge deformation when cutting harder media. H1 seems to be much more prone to that deformation and because of that will go dull almost immediately if pushed beyond its capabilities. Lc200n performs much better in that regard. My theory is this is largely a result of hardness. I believe Spyderco is getting their Lc200n to around 59 where H1 (if I had to guess) is probably closer to the mid 50's. Long story short, pe Lc200n meets my performance threshold for an everyday use knife or a fish cleaning knife, whereas pe H1 comes in a bit below that threshold.
I just saw where a knife you have collaberated on with Spyderco is coming to market, can you tell us all more?