Looking Back At: The C-46 Bob Lum Tanto folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Looking Back At: The C-46 Bob Lum Tanto folder

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hello phantom thread! Please bring this knife back to production Spyderco!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'll second that, would love to see this one brought back!
-Nick :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

A linerless CF Lum Tanto in s90v would be awesome. *yes I know that means no liner lock.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I was gonna say, who's digging up something this old? But yes, let's get this ball rolling! Arise necrothread, and bring with you the knife for which you were started in the first place! Aaarrriiiiiise!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

My Lums below. Totally agree on the love for C46

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

I agree, please bring it back.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Larry_Mott wrote:My Lums below. Totally agree on the love for C46

nice collection there Larry.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Larry_Mott wrote:My Lums below. Totally agree on the love for C46
Thanks for putting that pic up there Larry :) That black-bladed, CE, G-10 Lum tanto ( the third one down) is my exotic EDC user folder that I've had for quite some time now. And I still carry it on special occasions.

For the Brothers who would like to see this model return in one of the Supersteels all I can say is "Bring it on!!!"

It always blows me away when one of these really old threads pop up. But some Spyderco models are truly timeless and that is truly the case with the C-46 Lum Tanto folder ;)
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

It seems these threads always get solid interest. If there is fear there is not enough interest for a full sprint, how about a flash batch of Lum tanto's. perhaps sold through SFO only at MAP?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Personally I'd like to see the knife return to regular production. Black g10, satin blade and black g10 with black blade. Both with the changes seen on the grey sprint. They did such a nice job on that sprint, they made the knife much lighter, and cleaner looking. It's a shame that it's not available anymore.

Maybe if we can keep this thread on the first page of the forum for a few months we can convince Spyderco to bring it back. Worth a shot!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Don Eric

Post by Don Eric »

I got into Spyderco after those classic Lums had been discontinued so my first Lum was a Lil' Lum. I would love for the older designs to make a come back and am also looking forward to the Darn Dao chopper.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:A linerless CF Lum Tanto in s90v would be awesome. *yes I know that means no liner lock.
Make a Lum Tanto like the new Manix backlock? I'd go for it! :D
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Eh, I'd hope for a color other than black, LC. I doubt we could get grey again, but what about a tan G10? I think that would look sharp! Pun intended! Though I wouldn't be opposed to a blackout version. I know a lot of people like that in many models.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Joris Mo wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:A linerless CF Lum Tanto in s90v would be awesome. *yes I know that means no liner lock.
Make a Lum Tanto like the new Manix backlock? I'd go for it! :D
+1 on that

D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

JD has me digging through my treasure chest again...
I have four of them. Absolutely love the knife, and next to the Impala, I would love to see it again.
Only complaint I ever had was the linerlock was a tad sharp. This can easily be fixed.
I sit behind a desk most days now, so my hands are softer.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

D-Roc wrote:JD has me digging through my treasure chest again...
I have four of them. Absolutely love the knife, and next to the Impala, I would love to see it again.
Only complaint I ever had was the linerlock was a tad sharp. This can easily be fixed.
I sit behind a desk most days now, so my hands are softer.
I want a New IMPALA model with one of the newer/better Japanese supersteels about as bad as I would like to see a new Lum Tanto folder in a newer/better blade steel as well. I've said for years that the "GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS" is 1998 to 2003 >> but I'm going to extend that out to 2004 because of the IMPALA, TEMPERANCE 1 and probably 3 other models that came out in 2004 were also GOLDEN ERA models in their own rite.

As nice of a hunter/folder the IMPALA model was I can't believe that it didn't become a permanent model in the main line up. It would be nice to see what other great designs Ed Scott would have to offer in that sector.

But BOB LUM was truly ahead of his time in so many of his designs. But I believe his stuff will be around for quite a long time.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I wish I could find a user!

@Sal We need more Japanese styled blades in the ethnic series!

Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
levs18

Post by levs18 »

To me, this is one of the models most begging for a CQI update and re-release. I hope it still can be thin and lightweight though.

I have an original starmate, that I love, and was initially excited when it was re-released. After holding the new one, I found that it lost the slim, comfortable feel of the original now that it had dual liners. That's my only fear of a remake.

Anyway, I'm hoping this gets the needed momentum!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Personally I'd like to see the knife return to regular production. Black g10, satin blade and black g10 with black blade. Both with the changes seen on the grey sprint. They did such a nice job on that sprint, they made the knife much lighter, and cleaner looking. It's a shame that it's not available anymore.

Maybe if we can keep this thread on the first page of the forum for a few months we can convince Spyderco to bring it back. Worth a shot!
Hey I fully agree with you LC :) Being that Spyderco uses the C-36 Military model for introducing supersteels in their USA line it would be so cool to use the LUM Tanto folder for introducing Japanese supersteels. The only other Japan made model I would recommend for that purpose would be the C-60 Ayoob model.

The Lum Tanto Folder has had a very consistent cult following since the early 2000s and it hasn't let up at all. As a matter of fact the C-46 Lum Tanto folder has really gained more interest which I believe would make it an excellent model to introduce Japanese supersteels with. Actually I would even love a Lum Tanto folder in either M390 or 110V. The Lum Tanto folder isn't going away anytime soon and it will probably always maintain it's constant demand.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

This is actually one of those knives that I want for the design so much that the steel is almost irrelevant to me. Standard VG-10 would still get it in my shopping cart, though I'm always down for new flavors! The only thing I'm not in for is FRN, at least at this point. I'm not buying it for its utility, I'm buying it for its character and the pleasure that comes with carrying and using such a handsome piece.