Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SteelSpyder

Re: Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Post by SteelSpyder »

I have one of Phil's B&T models in CPM154 and it performs really, really well. Obviously it is a combo of Phil's expert geometry and heat treat, but I've long been a huge fan of CPM154 in other blades. I've wondered why Spyderco hasn't used it more. Probably because S30V is more the flagstaff in that performance range.

At any rate if the goal is keeping the model in a more budget friendly range, it seems like CPM154 would be a great option. And knowing Phil likes to use it, it seems like another good reason. I'm always curious to hear more from the master himself and the other knowledgeable individuals around here though on this topic :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do not know msrp's but the Dexter Russell knives and the F. Dick knives can be picked up for anywhere from $15 to $30 dollars depending on where you shop and which knife it is and they almost all have molded handles. I think their most popular fillet knife sells for about $20 and has a white molded handle. Dexter has some with basic wooden handles and carbon steel too though. Their product line is dizzying. The street price on the Victorinox fillet is right about $30.

It seems to me like the K06 and K07 knives would fit in well with these knives. The K04 and K05 are available at street prices between $25 and $30 so if the fillet knife and boning knife were about the same they would be competitive. I like MBS26 and think it may be an improvement over what the others are using.

I am sorry this is getting so far off topic. Back to the Bow River... :o
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Bodog wrote:Are European steels as cost prohibitive to import to China?
Steel shipped into China has special handling requirements and can only stay in the country for a period of time and then must be shipped out, so inventory can be expensive. We would have to ship the European steel first to Golden, and then to China, which takes it out of the affordable range.

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

sal wrote:
Bodog wrote:Are European steels as cost prohibitive to import to China?
Steel shipped into China has special handling requirements and can only stay in the country for a period of time and then must be shipped out, so inventory can be expensive. We would have to ship the European steel first to Golden, and then to China, which takes it out of the affordable range.

sal

Holy crap, yeah. Bad news there.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I have faith in Phil and Spyderco. Any knife this partnership brings to market is going to be great whether it is to hit a lower price point or comes in at the same price point as the existing Phil Wilson knives. I personally don't see a point in using a lesser steel then the current S90V if it only brings the price point down by $25 or $50 a knife. For me to see value in a lower dollar steel (I am not saying a lower dollar steel would be a lesser quality steel here) I want to see the knife hitting a price point of $100 - $125 street price. I have already purchased two South Forks as gifts to hunting partners and they greatly appreciate them even if they wouldn't have spent the money themselves.

Since moving to Phil Wilson knives for my game processing and that of my fellow hunting partners, we have a dozen antelope, 6 mule deer and 3 elk on our knives which consist of a custom Bow River in S110V, (3) South Forks and one bird and trout with the majority of the processing having been done with the Bow River and one of the South Forks. In an effort to bring the thickness behind the edge down and keep the cost down I would be excited to see AEB-L given a shot on the Spyderco Bow River or possibly one of the Sandvik steels. If staying in a similar price category as the S90V but wanting something different for steel, I would be excited to see CTS-204P/M390 or better yet would be K390 but non-stainless probably wouldn't appeal to the larger crowd.

Phil I hope to see you at the show this coming weekend and swap some hunting stories.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

If I read Phil's post correctly, the Bow River being more a hunting/utility knife might be well served in S90V? Since Taiwan has done such a good job with the Southfork and Sprig perhaps the Bow River should be a follow-up to them? I would certainly buy the green G10 in S90V matching the others. Keeping it really thin behind the edge would be very desirable.

Somehow I just don't see Phil's name on a knife that doesn't represent the essence of his artistry. I'm hoping Phil and Sal can come up with a with a fillet/boning knife in Phil's recommendation of CPM154 or S30V that won't dent the credit card too badly, as I will be gifting one of these to each of my 3 (adult) children. I'm glad they are starting to appreciate quality knives. Their K05's see a lot of use, and they are getting pretty good with the Sharpmakers. Thanks to all at Spyderco.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Sal, how about making the Bow River in Italy? I think you mentioned that the facilities in Maniago have greater capacity and that you have a bunch of k390 left over, maybe it could be a flash batch?

Also with Phil's design being a partial tang, wouldn't that be a cost saving? I know a lot of folks are gung ho for full tang but I have a bunch of partial tang knives and don't have a problem. After all this is a small knife and not chopper.

Have any of you tried Vanadis 4E? Seems like it would be great in a small knife like this at a high hrc.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Nate

Post by Nate »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Sal, how about making the Bow River in Italy?
I'm not sure what it would do cost-wise, but I had the same thought when Phil mentioned the Sandviks. Maybe have one of those as the base model, but then be able to do a sprint or flash batches with K390, Vanadis 4E (CPM-4V equiv?,) or whatever else.
:spyder:
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Anyone know rough dimensional size of the Bow River? Maybe compared to a mule team for comparison?
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

You can find details about Phil Wilson's knives on his web page, along with a plethora of other information at: http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Any updates on this after the OKCA?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

Very excited about this addition to the Wilson/Spyderco family, K390 would be an exceptional choice for an exceptional design.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I will buy this if built it in the same factory as the Sprig or Golden perhaps--doesn't make sense otherwise. Imo a Phil Wilson should be spec-ed with his specifications.

I had two Spydie Moran bought in the late 90's from a knife store in Kailua, Kona, one never used, the other used to dress a number of Mouflon, Axis Deer, medium sized pigs, and a couple of goats. No longer have either, but I don't think they had a drop point version then.

Anyway years ago Ankerson had a Bow River with an up swept point, with slight up curved back similar to, but more practical than and with a bit less belly than the Moran. It had a noticeable distal taper-- beautiful and more elegant than the old Moran. This coming from someone who loved his Moran.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Johnnie,

Phil said he was ok with a low cost version made in China.

Hey Roger,

Gail and I owned that store in Kona for a few years.

sal
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

sal wrote:Hi Johnnie,

Phil said he was ok with a low cost version made in China.

Hey Roger,

Gail and I owned that store in Kona for a few years.

sal

Sal, that was a great store! I practically flipped when I saw all the Spyderco there. My only exposure to Spyderco then was a Gin 1 Delica that had seen thousands of sea miles, although I did peak in at McCully Bicycle in Honolulu once in a while.

I don't mind a low cost version, but would like one that fits into the Sprig/South Fork mold. For myself I can see this knife as a most desired Spyderco.
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

Any more news on this one?
marshy

Post by marshy »

Paul W wrote:Any more news on this one?
Bumping this back to the top!

Gosh, my first post was just the other day, and within 24hrs I bought myself a Southfork. I haven't even received it yet and I'm already chomping at the bit for another Phil Wilson design, and I'd be all over the Bow River! As mentioned by Tdog, I would also buy one in the green G10 in S90V, to match the others, but if going the route of making a more affordable version, I guess I'll have to get a few of them then ;) Would love to see one in the $100-$150 range, in a leather sheath with G10 handles (black perhaps?), and blade steel...well, reading through this thread, you gents know a helluva lot more than me so I'll leave that to you!

But in the interim, consider this a thread bump :D
Tenacious, PM3, PM2, Southfork, Sustain
Nate

Post by Nate »

Congrats Marshy! The South Fork is a fine blade.
:spyder:
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

[quote="marshy"]I would also buy one in the green G10 in S90V, to match the others/[quote]

Agreed, it would be great to get a trio of Phil's knives in S90V and forest green G10.
marshy

Post by marshy »

As a side note, and perhaps Sal and Mr Wilson can chime in here, I see under Mr Wilson's article page, he mentions the Bow River in his article -Ä new knife design" and mentions that "The blade shape can vary from drop pt, semi skinner and a trailing pt"

What blade shape would the Spyderco / Phil Wilson co-lab look to use? Or would there perhaps be an option of two?

What would you like to see?
Tenacious, PM3, PM2, Southfork, Sustain