Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Sal just confirmed they have a Phil Wilson Bow River in the works but haven't decided on the steel yet. Here's some quotes
sal wrote:Hi Jon,

We do have the Bow River in Queue, but haven't selected steel yet.

sal
sal wrote:Hi Igi,

We've done most of Phil's knives in S90V. Considering a lower cost model. This would probably be a better discussion in its own thread.

sal
I think it would be nice to have the knife in a different steel from s90v, 4v or cruwear would be pretty exciting but I guess they'd prefer to use a stainless steel. Just wondering if the Spyderco version will have a full tang or a partial tang ?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bearfacedkiller

Re: Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would expect that they would use a steel that Phil likes to use. Considering Sal suggested bringing this one in at a lower price point it seems as though cpm154 is a likely candidate. I believe Phil thinks highly of it.

I must admit. I would be quite a bit more excited if this was a Shelter Cove... I am patient, I'll keep waiting.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm definitely in on this one. :)
sal

Post by sal »

Maybe we can get Phil in the discussion?

sal
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I too would be in for this, especially if thin behind the edge. Like Darby I would prefer the Shelter Cove or Punta Chivato. Need one for each of my kids. Pretty please. :) Time for a nice Spydie surprise. :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I thought I heard some discussion last year at Blade about doing some collaborations in china. Maybe this one? Personally I would love to see some good fixed blade designs coming out of the China factory. I would definitely buy an affordable fillet knife if it were offered and would have no issue with it being made with something like 8cr13.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd rather see Phil's designs stay high end-ish (or mid-range at least), so I don't think I'd be a fan of producing it in China in 8cr13.

I'm not up on what steels would cost more/less than the s90v on the Sprig and Southfork.

Where would Elmax be in the cost spectrum?

I assume a stainless would be preferred for a production version?

My all time favorite knife is one of Phil's in Elmax.
Holland

Post by Holland »

TomAiello wrote:I'd rather see Phil's designs stay high end-ish (or mid-range at least), so I don't think I'd be a fan of producing it in China in 8cr13.

I'm not up on what steels would cost more/less than the s90v on the Sprig and Southfork.

Where would Elmax be in the cost spectrum?

I assume a stainless would be preferred for a production version?

My all time favorite knife is one of Phil's in Elmax.
Did I sell my bird and trout to you a couple years ago? :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

TomAiello wrote:I'd rather see Phil's designs stay high end-ish (or mid-range at least), so I don't think I'd be a fan of producing it in China in 8cr13.
I have a few of Phil's customs and two of the Spyderco versions. The production versions are very well made and I love them. If you want to get fillet knife designs into the hands of the vast majority of actual fishermen though you're going to have to produce them in China. Most of the guys I know with half million dollar boats would never spend more than $50-$60 on a fillet knife. Sounds crazy but it's true. So I'm glad they make some of phils designs in high end versions with expensive steels and superb fit and finish. I just think it would be nice to see at least one of his designs in a budget option to make them more accessible to your average fishermen and hunters. I have no idea if that's something either Spyderco or Phil would think a good idea but it makes sense to me as a fisherman. Dexter-Russel sold a gazillion fillet knives last year (or at least thousands :rolleyes: ) and I don't think any of them had "super steels" or high end fit & finish.

So to sum it up, I'm not arguing against high end Phil Wilson spydercos...quite the contrary. I just think he has enough great designs to offer them in a variety of production levels and price points.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

If it keeps the cost down CPM154 or S30v would work for me. There are many that would pay more for a Phil Wilson fillet made in the states than a cheaper China made knife....me included :D Sorry to highjack the thread guess we should be discussing the Bow River.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

My earlier thoughts aside, if the Bow River were US made I would vote for cpm154.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Holland wrote:Did I sell my bird and trout to you a couple years ago? :D
Yep. :)
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Is CPM-20cv cheaper?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I think it will depend on what Country it's made in as far as steel choices go.

I would like to see one in CPM 154 or S30V.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

China made with S110V would probably still sell well if kept around $100 with a good sheath.

I agree with the resident fisherman though. When you're trying to reach the normal, average guy steel choice is about the last thing on their mind. Good warranties, raw functionality, and value matter much more. Most people think about knives less than most if us think about toilet paper.

Having said that, give the Chinese factory the opportunity to scream its capability. Produce one version in 8Cr for about 25 bucks with the reputation of spyderco standing behind it (offer a salt folder as a package deal for about $75 in a clamshell package at the big retailers) for the everyday guy. At the same time let them dip into the higher end market and tackle S110V with some good zytel/FRN or equivalent handles. Super thin behind the edge with big disclaimers all over it saying it's in no way meant for prying or chopping or whatever. Let them try a good smooth stonewash finish.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
sal

Post by sal »

Ankerson wrote:I think it will depend on what Country it's made in as far as steel choices go.
As Jim said, the country of origin makes much more of a difference than the steel costs and I don't think there are many, if any, factories in China, that can do a good job on S110V. Also, we'd have to buy the S110, ship it to Golden, then ship it to China and pay the tariffs and play by their strict steel requirements to ship steel into China.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Ankerson wrote:I think it will depend on what Country it's made in as far as steel choices go.
As Jim said, the country of origin makes much more of a difference than the steel costs and I don't think there are many, if any, factories in China, that can do a good job on S110V. Also, we'd have to buy the S110, ship it to Golden, then ship it to China and pay the tariffs and play by their strict steel requirements to ship steel into China.

sal
Hi Sal,

Well we have to wait and see how it works out as far as steel choice goes I suppose, I am sure Phil has something in mind given the choices he has to work with if it's made in China. :)

Jim
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

See "Off Topic Discussion" here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68030 for nice Bow River :D
Last edited by Tdog on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Sal, thank you for the answer.
I would like to see Phil Wilson designs on higher end. Thin grinds and high end steel are main signature of his custom knives. China made in something 8cr or BD-1, would be a huge let down for me:( I hope it doesn't happen.
USA made in something like LC200N or 20CV will be definitely more interesting. I don't know about costs in this case, but it should be not so expensive as sending S90V to Taiwan.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Sal,

How about 8Cr specially HT-ed by bluntcut's BCMW CWF? It will then perform very very well with super thin BET. Just an idea...
Chris :spyder: