Anyone see Apostle P's rant on Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adamlau

Re: Anyone see Apostle P's rant on Spyderco?

Post by adamlau »

If I had to choose a side, I would side with Apostle P on this one. Not necessarily in the details, but rather in the spirit of things.
RocketBen

Post by RocketBen »

Mic1 wrote:I personally find youtube very helpful especially when researching a high end knife or one I dont have local access to.
I totally agree - youtube videos are invaluable in evaluating a knife I'm thinking of getting but have no way to get my hands on until purchase. So don't disparage youtube knife reviews in general, because though flawed, they're still more info than a picture in a catalog.

This video specifically though, was less about the knife and more about the rant. I skipped through it - seemed like everything that was said could have been said in 5 minutes instead of 24. Maybe think about what you're going to say before recording a video and publishing it instead of rambling?

The most ridiculous thing was his interpretation of the disclaimer in the email as a loophole to do evil or something. No. It just sounds like boilerplate legalese that a lawyer suggested they put at the end of their emails to protect themselves. To infer something more than is just looking for trouble.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi AdamLau, RocketBen,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
adamlau

Post by adamlau »

Thank you, Sal. Despite recent ramblings, I remain a fan and a consumer of your products. Keep up the great work.
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

bouhunter wrote:I was able to get about 60 seconds into it..........

If he has nothing better to do than make that 24 minute video he really needs to get a life.
The guy is long-winded and immensely boring. Every minute I want to shout "get to the point for Christ's sake!". I can never watch one of his videos to the end.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

gmhauy wrote:
bouhunter wrote:I was able to get about 60 seconds into it..........

If he has nothing better to do than make that 24 minute video he really needs to get a life.
The guy is long-winded and immensely boring. Every minute I want to shout "get to the point for Christ's sake!". I can never watch one of his videos to the end.

A lot of them are long winded and like to hear themselves talk.

As the typical YT videos seem to be these days, everyone thinks they are a star I suppose, huge egos....

Just a funny comment, look at SketchSHE, just female 3 models that do lip sync videos with a zillion views.... So goes the mentality.....

I tend to watch less videos as time goes on other than PC gaming videos, and most of them don't talk, or if they do it's very little. Thumbs up to those people.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I'm with Ankerson. I don't have the time to watch 30+ minute videos of a knife when there are really good 10 minute vids out there.

ApostleP is WAAAAAY too long winded and takes 30+ minutes to say 10 mins of information. No thanks.

Remember folks, he takes people's knives apart to polish the washers among other things. He's doing stuff that is unnecessary to perfectly good knives. I have polished washers to see if it makes a difference and it made none. You couldn't even feel the difference. Some folks just buy into whatever hype is generated because 'hey....everyone else is doing it'.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Usually I do not watch youtube review, but after this thread I decided to check it out. My G-d, this guy is so annoying. I barely made a minute. Somebody needs to pay me $$$ to watch 24 minutes.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

David Lowry wrote:I'm with Ankerson. I don't have the time to watch 30+ minute videos of a knife when there are really good 10 minute vids out there.

ApostleP is WAAAAAY too long winded and takes 30+ minutes to say 10 mins of information. No thanks.

Remember folks, he takes people's knives apart to polish the washers among other things. He's doing stuff that is unnecessary to perfectly good knives. I have polished washers to see if it makes a difference and it made none. You couldn't even feel the difference. Some folks just buy into whatever hype is generated because 'hey....everyone else is doing it'.
Or even 5 min videos.

I can see if someone is actually doing a test that it might be longer, but just running their mouths just to hear themselves talk....... AH no.....

Most of them that used to be good back in the day have gone to the forever long videos and the videos are less about the knives and more about the YT person making them trying to sound like some sort of star or something.

Like I said before I watch less as time goes on.

I haven't made any knife videos for awhile and likely won't make any more either. I like doing written reviews much better.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

As a side note on YT videos in general.

There was this gaming video person that was very good at one time in doing videos.

Then for some reason the person got into the live feed thing so you could see them while they did the video. The person was freaking eating while doing the videos and getting long winded etc. :rolleyes:

I think the way the videos are going in general is disappointing as a whole, I used this as a simple example of them as a whole.
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Funny that this guy generated a 4 page "rant" of his rants. This forum will always be my best judge for any Spyderco knife along with myself. Thanks to everyone here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This actually brings up a question I have: Sal and anyone else: Would Spyderco ever consider having someone make official Spyderco review videos of each new knife as it is released, or, is that too time-consuming and not worth it?
npad69

Post by npad69 »

i myself couldn't stand tabletop and unboxing videos. opinions are ok as long as the presenter can show proof to back-up his/her opinions.
if only this AP guy just shown 2 identical spyderco knives that was used similarly for a year with one being taken apart for deep cleaning while the other one just the good ol soapy warm water with air blower treatment and then show the difference it made with regards to the knives' performance, i would have taken it seriously. all those baseless yap yap yapping is just a waste of internet bandwidth imo.
sal

Post by sal »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:This actually brings up a question I have: Sal and anyone else: Would Spyderco ever consider having someone make official Spyderco review videos of each new knife as it is released, or, is that too time-consuming and not worth it?
Mike and Eric have done some presentations on many of the models, but a review done by the mfr would have to be biased.

Though I can't say that rants against our company are valuable either. A few people have bashed us so much over a few models and created so much negativity that we've put production of our flippers on hold until we can sort it out.

sal
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

sal wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:This actually brings up a question I have: Sal and anyone else: Would Spyderco ever consider having someone make official Spyderco review videos of each new knife as it is released, or, is that too time-consuming and not worth it?
Mike and Eric have done some presentations on many of the models, but a review done by the mfr would have to be biased.

Though I can't say that rants against our company are valuable either. A few people have bashed us so much over a few models and created so much negativity that we've put production of our flippers on hold until we can sort it out.

sal
I do not own the knife in question so I have no opinion on the matter, but if it seems to be enough of an issue to stop production, why is the knife still being sold by online retailers? Even though I have no intention of buying the knife ( just not for me, has nothing to do with the "issues"), that's somewhat troubling to me.
sal

Post by sal »

We're selling inventory that we have as most customers seem to have no problems, but we're working on solutions for those that do.

sal
palonej

Post by palonej »

How anyone can take this sanctimonious blowhard seriously baffles me.
To say he loves the sound of his voice, while continuously gargling & swallowimg gallons of phlegm and snorting his honker......blow your nose and clear your throat BEFORE hitting record......is an understatement.
Look at the title of the vid on the Advocate...CONSUMER ALERT??? Really???
I just can't take anyone seriously, especially a used car salesman, when they want to tell a successful company how to run things.
Joe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:

sal

Are you saying the Sliver is on hold? Well thanks a bunch everyone, the one knife I'm looking forward to is on hold. Well done.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wrathhog wrote: I do not own the knife in question so I have no opinion on the matter, but if it seems to be enough of an issue to stop production, why is the knife still being sold by online retailers? Even though I have no intention of buying the knife ( just not for me, has nothing to do with the "issues"), that's somewhat troubling to me.
A batch or several was made and shipped to dealers just like every other spyderco knife. Those knives sit on the shelf till they are bought. It's an expensive knife then couple that with a minority on the Internet that aren't happy with the action of the knife, not the safety or even cutting performance and its still going to sit there unbought. So instead of making more and losing money due to a smear campaign they are having a wait and see approach to see if the minority grows larger or not. It's not a quality control issue, safety issue, nothing is breaking... So nothing troubling about it. Troubling to me would be if it had a known safety issue and they sent it out anyways and it hurt someone. Which isn't happening.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

This is bad news. Some people really just need to put a sock in it. My mantra is by far the smoothest and sweetest knife I own.
Last edited by mrtodd777 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.