Delica Wharncliffe in ZDP-189. PLEASE!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

Delica Wharncliffe in ZDP-189. PLEASE!!!!

Post by Eli Chaps »

So yeah, just a few days ago I developed a major crush on ZDP-189. The Delica is still my favorite Spyderco and I want that Wharncliffe Jazzelica real bad. So why not combine the two? :)

I know Sal said there would be a sprint run in HAP40 but why not a standard production offering in ZDP-189 like the regular Delica? I'm imagining the insane edge that straight blade would bring...

Please Uncle Sal. Please...

:D
bearfacedkiller

Re: Delica Wharncliffe in ZDP-189. PLEASE!!!!

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would buy one...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

Yep, ZDP, super blue, or Hap40 Wharnie Delica would pretty much be an insta-buy.

Any of those sprints would sell out at all dealers in a couple of days I would think.
Tim
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ZDP would be a buy for me.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

ZDP serrated works better for me

Marius
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I'd like to try that SE version as well!
(if not I'll probably just take the PE)
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

the wharncliffe delica is on the "to buy" list. zdp-189 would move it up...way up that list. i agree with the op, this steel coupled with that straight edge would definitely be an insane edge.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

That's probably my biggest hang-up on the Wharnica... I don't hate VG-10, and I don't hate on VG-10 either, but I just prefer to get a better option if it's available. It's the same reason (but with S30V) that I'm waiting on a Para 3 sprint or S110V before I get one of those. So I'm really looking forward to the HAP40 sprint on this knife, or maybe a ZDP version.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm not saying I wouldn't like it, but I am about to praise VG10. I reprofiled 2 or 3 weeks ago (probably more), and it still cleanly slices paper. I steeled it, stropped on cardboard, and it sails through paper. I cut a lot of cardboard and banding, as you may know, and I'm quite impressed. Still highly enjoy the Delica wharnie at work, as in, a lot. Thanks, Sal. To me, VG10 is still a super steel.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Jazz wrote:I'm not saying I wouldn't like it, but I am about to praise VG10. I reprofiled 2 or 3 weeks ago (probably more), and it still cleanly slices paper. I steeled it, stropped on cardboard, and it sails through paper. I cut a lot of cardboard and banding, as you may know, and I'm quite impressed. Still highly enjoy the Delica wharnie at work, as in, a lot. Thanks, Sal. To me, VG10 is still a super steel.
Oh I like me some VG10 and I've got the receipts to prove it. :D

But after playing around with ZDP-189, I'm in lust and think it would be a great offering in this blade shape.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You're probably right.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Of the already used Japanese steels I think ZDP would be my top choice for this model. I like vg10 and I love HAP40 but I think that ZDP would be outstanding in this little utility knife. I'll end up with one no matter what though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Now I'm going to need all the variants of this (if there are any :)).
- best wishes, Jazz.
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

aaaahh, I can't wait!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My only Delica is ZDP.

I let my knives go way too long between sharpening, so ZDP is much better for me than VG-10. I've pretty much stopped buying VG-10 blades, which means I skipped the Wharnie Delica. I'd be into one in ZDP, though. :)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

elena86 wrote:ZDP serrated works better for me

Marius
I doubt they'll offer that option, but H-1 would make perfect sense. I think there were chipping issues with SE blades made from ZDP. Edited to add: no, on second thought H-1 isn't easily flat ground in production, so not likely.
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

The delica wharnie in H1 SE would be killer!!!!!!
Perry Knife Works

Post by Perry Knife Works »

Sounds like a winner to me.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Bill1170 wrote:
elena86 wrote:ZDP serrated works better for me

Marius
I doubt they'll offer that option, but H-1 would make perfect sense. I think there were chipping issues with SE blades made from ZDP. Edited to add: no, on second thought H-1 isn't easily flat ground in production, so not likely.
LC200N in PE and SE. Jazz Salts!!!
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Jazz wrote:I'm not saying I wouldn't like it, but I am about to praise VG10. I reprofiled 2 or 3 weeks ago (probably more), and it still cleanly slices paper. I steeled it, stropped on cardboard, and it sails through paper. I cut a lot of cardboard and banding, as you may know, and I'm quite impressed. Still highly enjoy the Delica wharnie at work, as in, a lot. Thanks, Sal. To me, VG10 is still a super steel.
Isn't the Japanese translation for VG-10's name, something gold? It kind of reminds me of the KFC commercials. :)

I would like a ZDP version just for variation.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!