Spyderco prices in Europe exploded !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Spyderco prices in Europe exploded !

Post by elena86 »

A few of my favorite european Spyderco on-line shops , nomine odiosa, went ballistic with their prices and interesting enough, they blame Spyderco for that.I am not affected in any way since I usually shop from US dealers but I was intrigued.Sad !

Marius
Last edited by elena86 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Filoso-

Re: Spyderco prices in Europe exploded !

Post by Filoso- »

I can feel you pain Marius! Prices are prohibitive here lately, especially for the new releases...
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

I do not know what the reason is but the prices in Europe are not normal.
I understand that they are more expensive for taxes.
But not double that.
I do not know what the reason is.
Some buy out but many people buy other brands.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

My previous favourite online retailer in the UK (Heinnie Hayes) has just done exactly this....sadly what they have done means I am not going to be spending with them for the foreseeable.

I fully realise that the Spyderco team are unlikely to step in- but when a Centofante Memory goes from £200 to £300 overnight, it turns folks right off

There's an odd claim that it's somehow to do with the exchange rate, brexit and/or importers jacking their prices- but when they are clearly retroactively up-pricing by 30-50% of stock they already had, it feels like gouging.

This has been a big subject of discussion on Edgematters and British Blades- to much dismay of my fellow UK Spydieheads.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Prices in US also went up, like almost every year. But this is just few buck, which is nothing to compare with what you see in Europe.
Just wondering why you guys are not buying in US. There are quite a few reputable dealers, who will ship in Europe? How bad are custom dues?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

bh49 wrote:Prices in US also went up, like almost every year. But this is just few buck, which is nothing to compare with what you see in Europe.
Just wondering why you guys are not buying in US. There are quite a few reputable dealers, who will ship in Europe? How bad are custom dues?
Haha, I became interested, or better said renewed my love for knives. Ergonomics, steel types, locking mechanics the whole thing, it interests me to no end. I bought a delica 4, for 100 euros in the Netherlands. It taught me how to sharpen and reprofile and its still among my favorite knives.. What's left of it that is. The next step seemed to be a pm2. But even before this joke of pricing or was still around double what I pay at knivecenter for example. Around that time the pm2 blurple came out, sold there for 150 dollar. Over here and this is before the raise I repeat, a whopping 250 euro. ****, I shipped it over from the United States of affordable knives, paid FedEx and taxes and still saved about 50 to 60 euros! After that a manix 2 blurple g10, saved 70 bucks counting taxes and postage even. After that I wanted a m2 lw S110V badly, but it was sold out here, when our with our heinous heinnie English friends got it they asked something crazy. The price was 144 including postage before, now I have to sell my dog and take a loan for it. Forget about buying a delica there now. I had my eye on a zpd one for 114 euro. Also sold out but what's the rush,i thought. I recall something along the lines of it costing €175+ now! Regular delicas went from 77 to 122 euros! Here in the Netherlands the mid range models are a bit expensive but acceptable. The premium ones however.. It's shameful. I'll update soon with some that really shocked me.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP101P ... cp-handles one hundred sixty-seven dollars. A little less then what a pm 2 costs here.

Seems like spyderco really achieved something working with maxamet, so I understand. https://www.knivesandtools.nl/nl/pt/-sp ... 01pgy2.htm

Almost 300 euro's? Sure, you have to make a profit as a store but that's just insane! After taxes and them being the most successfull company in blades and tools there I would expect them to be no more then 25 over regular costs compared to importing. If you're in the market for a frn S110V native 5 they have a next day delivery program which is free when you order over 50 euros. (how can you not Haha, the thing costs 200 euros.

I wish I had a fortune to get in what is a small market full of overpriced knives here and focus on the populair ones like spyderco, Benchmade and such, selling them at a manageable profit and I reckon people will pick up on that. I hope hein is just havin' a Lil giggle what with April soon. I'll just keep my spyders imported from the States.

Imoorting
Last edited by dodgie02 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Same here in the Netherlands. Most online shops I know of with Spydies in stock are really pushing the retail prices to a new high :(
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Man, and here I am still sour about MAP pricing. Thanks for the perspective. Sometimes that is all you need. I hope you guys are able to find a reasonable source for your Spydies. I wish I had a solution for ya.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

bh49 wrote:Prices in US also went up, like almost every year. But this is just few buck, which is nothing to compare with what you see in Europe.
We get to pay the 20% sales tax, plus a £8 ($10) handling charge. You used to have a 50-50 chance of it slipping through, but no longer (all mine now get caught, anyhow).

Pricing here always seemed to be just a little above ordering from the States, so as to make it just quite not worthwhile unless it was heavily discounted.

£105/$130 for an Endura? As things are now, there soon won't be any U.K. retailers stocking Spyderco because nobody will be buying them.
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

That is an option
But you can have problems in customs for being considered a weapon.
Problems if the important passes the tax-free minimum.Paperwork problems.
You may have warranty issues with your local technical service.
And now with the red loctite that makes it difficult to do the maintenance yourself.
I really like Spyderco But with this situation not so much.
In this situation and for that money I can order many knives on request to local artisans.
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

DutchBlades wrote:Same here in the Netherlands. Most online shops I know of with Spydies in stock are really pushing the retail prices to a new high :(
Knivecenter has been very good to my wallet. Importing the pm2 was more expensive due to levels in import tax but it was around 40 I think. With shipping by FedEx I paid 160 euro plus 40, and still saved 50 bucks and more at some other retailers here even. Thinking about picking up the df2 zdp or delica 4 zdp-189 there for a few bucks the cheap before things get weirder here. Even with shipping. Though I said all that above, my main reason is I want to support the countrymen of America, they're the patriots we need. (now if someone could link this to them for extra discount for patron- patriots a broad that's be great. I'm still Dutch and obligated to follow prejudices of course.
JT

Post by JT »

I've bought all my Spydies from trusted US dealers for years. Even if there's taxes and custom fees etc, it's still cheaper than buying within EU.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

valenciamanu wrote:
That is an option
And now with the red loctite that makes it difficult to do the maintenance yourself.
In this situation and for that money I can order many knives on request to local artisans.
Sorry for the double post, I'm on my Japanese made phone and formatting is an endless hassle correcting wrong touches. If importing to Netherlands worries you, don't. Never, by regular mail or express by FedEx customs were any problem. Camping/outdoor tools is what was declared, and never had I have to pay more then 40 euros in taxes. Balisongs will be intercepted because those things are deemed illegal because they're.. Balisongs? Other then that you'll surely save 50 euros in the end when buying a blade from spyderco which costs double here. And you'll have to wait a week with FedEx but aside from that you need not fear to buy your murdertool ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To be fair, at least where Heinnie Hayes is concerned it may be all knives from the US, not just Spyderco. As an example, he's selling a Ka-Bar Snody Boss with an MSRP of $142.19 for £145.95, a Spyderco Cook's Knife with a $149.95 MSRP for £131.95, and a Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight with a $144.95 MSRP for £126.95
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dodgie,

Welcome to our forum.

It would be helpful to know where you are in a discussion like this. We've been working with our export distributors to try to come up with the best solutions. We even had some special group meetings in January. The main problem seems to be taxes, VAT's, and other added costs that our European distributors have to tolerate. We really appreciate our distributors overseas and many of them, like Edgar have been working with us for 3 decades. I worked with the fathers and Eric is working with the sons. It is because of these distributors that we even have a base in other countries. They are dedicated and loyal and have you, their customers in mind with all decisions. It's a challenging problem, but we will be persistent (Spyderco and the distributors) until we come up with the best solutions. Please try to be patient and understanding.

Hey Killer, MAAP was a step in gtrying to bring these divisions closer together. Of couse there are other probs, even in the US with pricing. "When you got problems, that's how you know you're not dead" :rolleyes: We all know that the customer always wants to pay the lowest price, but we also know that one must make a profit to stay in business.

We are also open to suggestions. :confused:

sal
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

sal wrote:Hi Dodgie,

Welcome to our forum.

It would be helpful to know where you are in a discussion like this. We've been working with our export distributors to try to come up with the best solutions. We even had some special group meetings in January. The main problem seems to be taxes, VAT's, and other added costs that our European distributors have to tolerate. We really appreciate our distributors overseas and many of them, like Edgar have been working with us for 3 decades. I worked with the fathers and Eric is working with the sons. It is because of these distributors that we even have a base in other countries. They are dedicated and loyal and have you, their customers in mind with all decisions. It's a challenging problem, but we will be persistent (Spyderco and the distributors) until we come up with the best solutions. Please try to be patient and understanding.

Hey Killer, MAAP was a step in gtrying to bring these divisions closer together. Of couse there are other probs, even in the US with pricing. "When you got problems, that's how you know you're not dead" :rolleyes: We all know that the customer always wants to pay the lowest price, but we also know that one must make a profit to stay in business.

We are also open to suggestions. :confused:

sal
Thanks for the response Sal- As always, it's humbling to see you step into a debate.

There is one discussion going on at the Edge Matters board (Link here as requested: http://edgematters.uk/thread/10564-hein ... /?pageNo=1 )
It's causing major consternation for UK Spydieheads- Heinnie Haynes has been most of our go-to supplier.

There's third party hearsay on that self-same thread that HH are pointing the finger at Edgar Brothers- I don't know how true that is inn reality, but it is interesting to see you make mention of them.....Personally, I take your word over anyone else on this subject :)

I've pulled a specific example on that thread that I'll repeat here:
I'd (just about) understand newer stock getting a bump due to exchange rates- but here's an example of why that doesn't appear to hold water:

Mindyourfingers have the Centofante Memory for £102 less than Heinnie- and that's on a discontinued knife that there probably isn't any new stock coming from the US for to be affected by any recent change in exchange rate....I would argue, based on that evidence, that HH have thus simply bumped across the board by a set amount for stock they already have.
As to solutions..... I really don't have any, short of getting some communication going between these retailers and Golden on what gives...

Thanks again.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

dodgie02 wrote:
valenciamanu wrote:
That is an option
Sorry for the double post, I'm on my Japanese made phone and formatting is an endless hassle correcting wrong touches. If importing to Netherlands worries you, don't. Never, by regular mail or express by FedEx customs were any problem. Camping/outdoor tools is what was declared, and never had I have to pay more then 40 euros in taxes. Balisongs will be intercepted because those things are deemed illegal because they're.. Balisongs? Other then that you'll surely save 50 euros in the end when buying a blade from spyderco which costs double here. And you'll have to wait a week with FedEx but aside from that you need not fear to buy your murdertool ;)
40 € is approximately the amount exempt of taxes in the customs of Spain.From there to pay and lio of papers.

Here's a question of what each one values.

Is it worth buying here Spyderco?
Is it worth buying out Spyderco?

Or did I buy several high-level local knives?

In addition I have to say that the prices of the other brands of the local importer are quite high too.
But that's nothing new.
In fact, I suspect that there are stores here that buy their products in other European countries, taking advantage of the fact that they buy other products.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Buying spydies in Europe? Not affordable for me. German shops in particular - at least the ones I know - are a bad joke when it comes to their :spyder: prices. I have been given hints for shops in Europe outside Germany, but still the prices there are way higher than what I need to pay at US shops. Yes, there's shipping costs. And yes, lately I had to pick up all my knives at customs, and pay VAT plus taxes. Still much much cheaper than from Europe. And at least there's a chance that customs let one slip through.

Just to amuse you: https://www.boker.de/taschenmesser/spyd ... Huv9CXm7Cs
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
carl3989

Post by carl3989 »

I'm sorry you guys in Europe have such high prices for knives. Look at the bright side, at least handguns are cheap and plentiful for your concealed carry enjoyment.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I also buy almost all my Spyderco's and most of my USA brand knives in the USA, would like to support local dealers as well but just can't afford it.