Large Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tac-72

Re: Large Spyderco

Post by Tac-72 »

[quote="murphjd25"]I'd look into a Military. Are you close to anywhere that you could handle one.
No one close by that sells them. I usually buy online from Blade HQ. The only Spyderco I have now is the Para 3 and while it is great I want something bigger.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

The Chinook 4 would be a good option too, really looking forward to both the Police 4 and Chinook 4, I will be grabbing both.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

I like Large blades that "carry" small, if that makes sense. It's a value thing for me... solid build, good length, great ergos, but taking as little space and weight as possible for carry.

The Military is AWESOME in that respect. it's been my primary EDC for a couple years.

Last year I added the Pacific Salt to my regular EDC - also a nearly 4" blade so arguably "large" but carries even more small AND more light than the Military... and it's serrated. My long-overdue review of the Pacific Salt here. I actually grab this one if for some reason I only grab one, i.e. running or at the gym. This one was a surprise, am very impressed with it. Makes a great gift for friends new to knives too lol.

For a bit larger than the Military, a bit more robust and doesn't carry as light, there's the Resilience. Also an awesome knife, one I'd recommend getting anyway. Great hard use utility knife. And I don't think anything on the market touches it for quality and solid build and ergos at under $50 delivered.

Just wrote up an in-depth comparison on these and a few others, hope it helps: "What’s The Best Everyday Carry Knife?"
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

There are many other large Spydies. A lot depends on your preference in style, but don't forget Ed Schempp's Bowie, The Pattada, Police 3, Resiliance, The Great Endura Series. If you're willing to include recently discod stuff, the K2 slams into mind.

Lots and lots of goodies.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

At this time my main EDC is my Spyderco M390 Military model. Now my advice is that if you do get a Military model definitely get one with one of the higher tier blade steels. I would recommend M390, 110V, 90V, D-2, Maxamet, Cruwear or any other blade steel that gets your attention.

Spyderco has a lot of nice larger folders but I tend to agree with EVIL D that the C-36 Military with a really decent blade steel is really hard to beat. Another full sized Spyderco folder that I've been fanatical about over the years is the C-60 Ayoob, G-10 Sprint model.

Now if size is really the one thing that you are looking for then I would say just go ahead and get one of the POLICE models. They are a great full sized Spyder.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

If you're looking for a LARGE, BIG :spyder: that's comfortable in the hand and practical then the Spyderco Manix 2 XL is something to consider. A Spyderco Military would be another good option to consider. I do like the Spyderco Para Military 2 as it offers a large blade that's just right when something the size of a Manix 2 XL or Military is a bit too big.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Waco

Post by Waco »

My Millie is my favorite big folder.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Another vote for Military. You won't be disappointed. Get the Police when it comes out.

I was the debating the same thing not too long ago. Very happy with Getting the Military now. Who knows when the Police will be out.

Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

Police 3 is already out and its one of the best folding knives ever made :) P4 ain't making it obsolete just yet, it'll have to come out in something as stainless as VG10 first!
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

Don't overlook the Ulize, comfortable and doesn't take up alot of pocket space.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Vivi wrote:Police 3 is already out...
I totally agree. I don't own one, but handled one while back.

I'm just saying, Military is a great interim solution to the 'I want a Police 4' dilemma.
Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

cangokaw wrote:Don't overlook the Ulize, comfortable and doesn't take up alot of pocket space.
Very ergonomic, even comfier than a Police 3. I came very close to buying one when I handled it at New Graham.