License the Tri-Ad lock for Byrds?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
thombrogan

License the Tri-Ad lock for Byrds?

Post by thombrogan »

I don't have reason to believe Andrew Demko's Tri-Ad lock is necessarily stronger than a regular backlock, but I've been carrying a Cold Steel 'large' Voyager Vaquero folding pocketknife almost daily since January 2012 and it hasn't been blocked from engaging like my :spyder: Native and my Pop's :spyder: Centofante 4 have in just months of carrying by accumulated lint.

Is there any way that sort of lock could be licensed from Demko or Cold Steel and used on the Byrd line? I'd love me a lint-resistant Tri-Ad lock on a G-10 scaled, 8Cr13MoV-bladed Cara Cara 2 and Cara Cara 2 Rescue and Byrd Hawkbill from dawn-till-dusk for at least another five years.
Larry_Mott

Re: License the Tri-Ad lock for Byrds?

Post by Larry_Mott »

I think the odds are higher that Spyderco will use their Power lock, like the one on the Tatanka (which should be plenty strong enough unless you stick it between two tree trunks as an anchor to winch your Landrover up from a mud hole.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

How is the Power Lock against lint? I have no problem with the strength of most back locks; especially not ones designed by the Glesser family.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Tri-ad lock is CS' ace card so to speak, I highly doubt that they would license it and if they did, it would be at great cost like allowing them to use the Spydiehole.

I mean, look at their folder videos and ads: "It's great, it's strong, it's the best".... They are all about their tri-ad lock. They don't even make locking folders without it anymore.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Licensing a lock to put into a price-point knife is self-defeating business (IMHO). Even if it was licensed for the premium model (Delica, Endura, Police, etc) as lock engineers I would think Spyderco wouldn't want to pay the royalty and essentially "admit defeat". Same reason they engineered the BBL and CBBL instead of licensing the Axis Lock.

As clever engineers I'm mostly curious what Spyderco will create out of thin air. Variety is a great thing. Well...unless it's the late 80's/mid 90's and you are GM. Then the best thing you can do is license every quality Japanese engine you can for Geo and Saturn. :D
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

They use the Reeve Integral Linerlock and Walker Liner Lock. The Ball Bearing Lock, Caged Ball Bearing Lock, and Axis Lock are all homages of the Bolt Action Lock (which Spyderco has also used).

I don't see how licensing one lock for the value line of folders is "admitting defeat," but then, I do miss my Saturn at times…

With Cold Steel moving from AUS-8A to various Carpenter alloys in many of their Taiwan-made folders and Spyderco's power-lock offerings being in VG-10 or S30V, the Byrd line seemed like the place to see if it could be tried (to obtain that lock with the luxury of 8Cr13Mov and FRN, that is).

You can blame a guy for asking.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm reasonably sure the patents have expired on the RIL and Walker liner lock, so no licensing is required to use them. I think the Triad lock has a few more years before it becomes public domain. I have a few CS knives with Triad locks, but they don't really impress me.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have had a couple CS with triads and find them stupid hard to disengage and almost never carry them vs a spydie back lock which has never failed me.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

How about bringing the compression lock to the Byrd line? They use BD-1 in a couple of knives. A Byrd version of the PM2 would be awesome.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I guess it all depends if the maker in China can work properly with a compression lock or something of the like. I'm sure they can but at what price? You gotta pay for the learning curve, etc.

The idea of getting a Tri-Ad/Axis/Compression lock'd Byrd for $30 is a pipe dream. Eventually when you start adding features and refining things to the point that only thing seperating a Cara Cara from a PM2 would be the tang stamp of Origin. I'm not sure what that final price difference would be but it wouldn't be as much as people think. That and Spyderco would have to justifiably sell a VERY expensive Byrd on the basis that it's tougher than the lockback version which only fails for less than 1% of the knives sold?

Just my opinion, which is utterly meaningless :D. Never hurts to ask though! Some of the best knives have come from what deemed at the time were "insane requests".

Speaking of which...I gotta go nag Sal for a Spyderhawk sprint. Silly JD is at it again ;).
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

The tri-ad is CS selling point so i dont think they will let it go.I do think its more strong then a regular back because of the stop pin,but for me its very hard to disengage,and i dont use my knive as a weight rack or as holds on to do my chin-ups.All the locks made by serious companies are strong enough for any raisonable use.Beyond that,get a fixed blade or a pry bar.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Blerv wrote:Speaking of which...I gotta go nag Sal for a Spyderhawk sprint. Silly JD is at it again ;).
Per Sal, an orange FRN Spyderhawk Salt sprint is in the works.

It is a great time to be a Spyderco and Byrd enthusiast (much like it was to be a Cold Steel enthusiast before the stampede to Carpenter stuff).
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

thombrogan wrote:
Blerv wrote:Speaking of which...I gotta go nag Sal for a Spyderhawk sprint. Silly JD is at it again ;).

It is a great time to be a Spyderco and Byrd enthusiast (much like it was to be a Cold Steel enthusiast before the stampede to Carpenter stuff).
That.I had a couple of CS knives-never realy like them,but the straw who broke the camel's back was the hideous Golden Eye.I will never buy another CS.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

thombrogan wrote:
What?!

I will have to get at least 1 (2 if there are PE and SE). The Spyderhawk SE is my alltime favorite hawkbill.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Start saving; get distracted by another sprint; start saving again.