Thoughts on locking models as Slipit versions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
B93

Re: Thoughts on locking models as Slipit versions

Post by B93 »

SpyderEdge, I'll give you my take on that. I wouldn't buy it. If I want a Mercator, I'll buy a Mercator. If I want a Victorinox, I'll buy that. And so on. The idea behind me bringing this Slipit topic up was the admiration for Spyderco models worldwide, not for the company's take on someone elses knife. Whether this ends in, for example, A Delica Slipit one day or if it means that maybe we will see more blade and handle options in the UKPK series, both would be fine outcomes.

Hey Possum, the German knife forums are... "Interesting". Very entitled people. Hence me noting that this is not a German market issue, but more of an "outside of the US" market.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Sounds interesting, one thing I have to mention can I please get an Urban and/or UKPK with backlock?
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Joris Mo wrote:Sounds interesting, one thing I have to mention can I please get an Urban and/or UKPK with backlock?
UKPK is a straight up slipit Caly 3, or you can take it reverse, Caly 3 is a backlock UKPK. Voila.
Urban to me is more of like a slipit Cat. Although Delica 4 is an acceptable backlock alternative to the Urban IMO, in either blade configuration.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

funghiman wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:Sounds interesting, one thing I have to mention can I please get an Urban and/or UKPK with backlock?
UKPK is a straight up slipit Caly 3, or you can take it reverse, Caly 3 is a backlock UKPK. Voila.
Urban to me is more of like a slipit Cat. Although Delica 4 is an acceptable backlock alternative to the Urban IMO, in either blade configuration.
Ok, I'll wait for an FRN Caly, for now it doesn't come near the Calypso for me and I love the Delica but it's nothing like an Urban, bigger/no choil.
Always too many cool models anyway so my bank account has a hard time keeping up with Spyderco production anyway but an Urban with a lock always seemed like a winner to me. (Urban slipit as well btw ;) )
Nate

Post by Nate »

I haven't been able to find a side by side pic, but the Cat should be pretty darn close to an Urban with a lock. I would likely have one except I'm a lefty so I try to avoid righty liner locks. (Can deal with them, but prefer not to.)

A little more on topic, I would have a tough time passing on a new g10 sprint of the Urban or UKPK. I missed the previous runs and the ones I've seen on the secondary market have been priced above my willingness to pay. :)
:spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The FRN Urbans are way nicer than the G10 ones.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Jazz wrote:The FRN Urbans are way nicer than the G10 ones.
Hmm, why do you think that? Not knocking the FRN Urban (I think it's great) but the fit and finish on my Foliage Green G10 Urban is better than my K390 sprint. For example, on my K390 sprint the back spacer is proud of the scales in the middle of the radius. The back spacer on my G10 Urban fits the scales perfectly. I like the jimping on my G10 Urban better too. I've been reading how the springs are much stronger on the newer FRN Urbans but the spring on my G10 Urban feels about the same. The half-stop on my K390 Urban feels a little stronger but not by much.

I'm curious to hear why you think the FRN Urbans are way nicer than the G10 ones.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Yeah, same question. :)

I haven't had an opportunity to handle a g10 Urban or UKPK, but assuming anything new would have a fairly stiff spring it's sounds like something I'd like...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think they look better and feel better. I love FRN. I like how the spacer looks. Doesn't have to be flush to be attractive. Blade shape is also a wee bit different - nicer on the FRN one. Just my opinions.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks for the input Jazz. Someone mentioned the blade shape on the Elmax Urban was also a little different, surprised there would be any variation on that.
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Joris Mo wrote:
funghiman wrote:
Ok, I'll wait for an FRN Caly, for now it doesn't come near the Calypso for me and I love the Delica but it's nothing like an Urban, bigger/no choil.
Always too many cool models anyway so my bank account has a hard time keeping up with Spyderco production anyway but an Urban with a lock always seemed like a winner to me. (Urban slipit as well btw ;) )
I just realized, if you are asking for a backlock Urban, maybe the Chaparral is a great answer?
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 40#p650340
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Nate wrote:I haven't been able to find a side by side pic, but the Cat should be pretty darn close to an Urban with a lock. I would likely have one except I'm a lefty so I try to avoid righty liner locks. (Can deal with them, but prefer not to.)

A little more on topic, I would have a tough time passing on a new g10 sprint of the Urban or UKPK. I missed the previous runs and the ones I've seen on the secondary market have been priced above my willingness to pay. :)
I think Doc Dan got some pretty nice side by side pics here: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 2#p1140762
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Thanks for the tip, will definitely be looking for a Chaparral anyway once the FRN version comes out!
That Wharncliffe Urban is also one I've been looking for for awhile.. ;)
Nate

Post by Nate »

funghiman wrote: I think Doc Dan got some pretty nice side by side pics here: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 2#p1140762
Haha, thanks! I thought I remembered seeing a pic with them somewhere recently, but couldn't come up with it earlier. Looking at it again I guess they're very similar at a glance, but I can see now that there are a lot of small differences between them.
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Would something like the Janisong be legal in Germany?

I have a very superficial understanding of German knife laws thanks to that guy who builds insane slingshots on Youtube. I forget his name, but he did a good video summarizing German weapon laws, including those pertaining to knives.

My big take away was that you cannot carry a knife that is one-handed AND locks on opening. So, one handed not locking is fine--hence the penchant for slip-its--or two handed locking is fine. My question is what about one handed, but manual locking? From looking at videos and such, the Janisong doesn't seem to lock when you open it with one hand. It has to be "manually" locked with the catch switch.

Could that type of lock be adapted to current Spyderco models?
Stay Golden :spyder:
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Hgwxx7 wrote:Would something like the Janisong be legal in Germany?

I have a very superficial understanding of German knife laws thanks to that guy who builds insane slingshots on Youtube. I forget his name, but he did a good video summarizing German weapon laws, including those pertaining to knives.

My big take away was that you cannot carry a knife that is one-handed AND locks on opening. So, one handed not locking is fine--hence the penchant for slip-its--or two handed locking is fine. My question is what about one handed, but manual locking? From looking at videos and such, the Janisong doesn't seem to lock when you open it with one hand. It has to be "manually" locked with the catch switch.

Could that type of lock be adapted to current Spyderco models?
Personally I think Janisong will fall into the category of "gravity knives" just as conventional balisongs do...
Examples of truly "one handed, manual locking knife" under this circumstance would be something like an Opinel N°08 Outdoor, although I'm not sure if it is able to be opened one-handed since I haven't had my hands on one yet.
Last edited by funghiman on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Whoops double tap
Last edited by funghiman on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

funghiman wrote:Personally I think Janisong will fall into the category of "gravity knives" just as conventional balisongs do...
That makes sense, but what about adapting a "manual lock" to current production Spydercos like the Delica? I know my Delica, while smooth when opening, does have quite a bit of resistance and stiffness that would prevent it from being considered a gravity knife, IMHO.
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Hgwxx7 wrote:That makes sense, but what about adapting a "manual lock" to current production Spydercos like the Delica?
If I get you right, are you suggesting adding a sort of "safety slide/bolt" to switch the knife between a slip joint/notch joint and backlock?
That would be a very interesting subject.
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

funghiman wrote:If I get you right, are you suggesting adding a sort of "safety slide/bolt" to switch the knife between a slip joint/notch joint and backlock?
That would be a very interesting subject.
Yes, exactly!