Tasman Salt to be Discontinued???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Tasman Salt to be Discontinued???

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

In reading another thread on here, it seemed that someone indicated that the Spyderco Tasman Salt hawkbill will be discontinued and there will be a Tasman Salt 2. Is this true or what is the situation with this?
nicked.onaut

Re: Tasman Salt to be Discontinued???

Post by nicked.onaut »

Salt 2 model line will replace Salts "1." Sal indicated that this will phase in as existing "1s" are drained from dealers' inventories.

get your preferred Salts before they dry up.

(arrant pedantry exception noted--WC)
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

I'm pretty sure only the scales will be changing. They will be using a linerless Delica 4 scale in the future.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Check out the pics from the Amsterdam Meet, they will be phasing out the Salt and Tasman salt and replacing with the 2s. I like the 2 myself.
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... &start=220
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
BrandoSpoke

Post by BrandoSpoke »

Its going to be replaced by the 2nd version (date not announced)
"If you talk all the time, you will never hear what anybody else has to say, and therefore, all you'll have to talk about is your own conversation."
-Alan Watts
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like the new hawksbill better than the old Tasman. The more extreme hb of the Tasman was just too limiting for my use. I rarely use my Tasman for that reason but I'm really looking forward to the new shape!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you all.

Does this also mean we should expect the remaining older generation of Salts to be available at reduced prices from various knife sellers?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Not that I used it that way a whole lot, but I really like the reverse grip of the original Tasman handle ( square end good for thumb placement). The delica shape is an upgrade though I think. Now if we could just get a plain edge LC200n Tasman........
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

Surfingringo wrote:I like the new hawksbill better than the old Tasman. The more extreme hb of the Tasman was just too limiting for my use. I rarely use my Tasman for that reason but I'm really looking forward to the new shape!
What new shape? The only thing I've heard was changing is the scales.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Wrathhog wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I like the new hawksbill better than the old Tasman. The more extreme hb of the Tasman was just too limiting for my use. I rarely use my Tasman for that reason but I'm really looking forward to the new shape!
I'm talking about the new hb shape that was shown in mr. Blondes Amsterdam thread under the "salt 2" pics. I have no idea if that shape will be replacing the Tasman or offered in addition to it, but it will suit my needs much better.
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wrathhog wrote:
I'm talking about the new hb shape that was shown in mr. Blondes Amsterdam thread under the "salt 2" pics. I have no idea if that shape will be replacing the Tasman or offered in addition to it, but it will suit my needs much better.
I didn't see that it was any different than the current Tasman.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I just took a quick look but to me it looked like the new one had less extreme curve and less downward rake at the tip. I went back and looked and I'm not sure but it still looks that way to me. Maybe they made a slight profile change to fit the d4 handle?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm on my phone with spotty service right now. Maybe someone could post side by side pics of the Tasman and the new salt 2 hb from the Amsterdam thread?
tap78

Post by tap78 »

;)
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I suppose I could have been mistaken. A rare event to be sure but it does happen once every few years. :rolleyes: :p

That said, even looking at those photos I'm not sure the profile hasn't changed a bit. I'm anxious to hear some side by side reports once these come out.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:I just took a quick look but to me it looked like the new one had less extreme curve and less downward rake at the tip. I went back and looked and I'm not sure but it still looks that way to me. Maybe they made a slight profile change to fit the d4 handle?
They look the same to me :eek:

Marius
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

I wished they had kept the old style clip. From what I gather, the Pacific Salt will be receiving the Endura 4 style scales next....
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

Leadsled wrote:I wished they had kept the old style clip. From what I gather, the Pacific Salt will be receiving the Endura 4 style scales next....
Agree on the clip. I guess this is the end of the best clip Spyderco ever made imo.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Surfingringo wrote:I suppose I could have been mistaken. A rare event to be sure but it does happen once every few years. :rolleyes: :p

That said, even looking at those photos I'm not sure the profile hasn't changed a bit. I'm anxious to hear some side by side reports once these come out.
I believe Eric said that the blades weren't changing, just the handles.
(at the Spydiemeet)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Joris Mo wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I suppose I could have been mistaken. A rare event to be sure but it does happen once every few years. :rolleyes: :p

I believe Eric said that the blades weren't changing, just the handles.
(at the Spydiemeet)
Having looked at some more photos, I think maybe the serrations (all of mine are serrated) make the curve look deeper and more extreme than that of the pe version.