Bright G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Bright G10

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm a huge fan of the smurf blue and orange G10 Spyderco has used in the past. I'd really like it if they released more g10 knives with bright colors. Today I bought a second blue Para 2 and it got me thinking, since it's St Patrick's Day how nice it would be if I could carry a knife with beautiful bright green g10. Something like this..

Am I alone? Any interest in something like this? I like dark discreet knives as much as the next guy but sometimes it's fun to carry a bright knife on a sunny day :)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Robbob

Re: Bright G10

Post by Robbob »

I'm a fan of the BBS Para, but even more so of your creation.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That is a nice green. I too, like discreet, but I also like some bling once in a while, like the shiny clip and burnt orange of the HAP 40 knives.
- best wishes, Jazz.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Looks like you've basically hit upon some toxic green G10. :) (It seems fairly close to the FRN counterpart.) I've been wondering what other color G10s they might hit up next. Burgundy? I believe they've exhausted the stock G10 colors available on the knife maker supplier sites.

Of course, and not to derail this thread, some Ti scales (ahem, cough, cough... fluted Ti!) would be pretty amazing to see as well. :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I really like that shade of G10 there LC, it's a hair darker then toxic green and I think looks amazing. I really want the smurf blue bbs Para but just can't afford it right now or do I have a valid reason to get it. I am all for more offerings in different shades of G10. This gets my vote!

And I believe your right Radioactive, I know Boomer is taking some time off and it also seems like he has exhausted the color g10 from his suppliers as well. Maybe we will see some more colors come this year when stock gets back up. Always exciting for new colored G10.
Josh
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Looks like you've basically hit upon some toxic green G10. :) (It seems fairly close to the FRN counterpart.) I've been wondering what other color G10s they might hit up next. Burgundy? I believe they've exhausted the stock G10 colors available on the knife maker supplier sites.

Of course, and not to derail this thread, some Ti scales (ahem, cough, cough... fluted Ti!) would be pretty amazing to see as well. :D
I was actually trying to stay away from the toxic green. It's close though, I agree.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Looks great! Im all for brighter g10. Putman scales are filling that need for me currently.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've moved away from the tacti-cool all black knives that I used to favor, to brighter color knives. They are much better received by the public. The burnt orange and shiny metal clip is less threatening than black DLC. I would like to see more bright colors. A tropical blue to match the salt yellow would be nice. I think they make a delica in that color already, it would look nice in G-10.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Seems I'm not alone. I posted the above pic on the large Facebook group and it has received over 250 likes in under three hours. I'm pretty regular on that site and I don't recall many other posts getting that much attention that quickly.

@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't mind black knives but I already have several. I enjoy variety so I'm all for changing it up with some bright colors. Not a huge fan of green but I have to admit that I kind of like that one.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Liquid Cobra wrote: Image

Am I alone? Any interest in something like this? I like dark discreet knives as much as the next guy but sometimes it's fun to carry a bright knife on a sunny day :)
I like this shade, bet it would look great dirty on a well-worn user :spyder: :D
:spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

That's a very attractive shade of green. Question becomes whether G-10 is available in it and, if not, how many 4 X 8 sheets of it Spyderco would have to buy in order to get it made. I could see myself carrying a Native 5 in that color, especially with the peel ply sanded off.
Liquid Cobra wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Looks like you've basically hit upon some toxic green G10. :) (It seems fairly close to the FRN counterpart.) I've been wondering what other color G10s they might hit up next. Burgundy? I believe they've exhausted the stock G10 colors available on the knife maker supplier sites.

I was actually trying to stay away from the toxic green. It's close though, I agree.
To me it doesn't look anything like toxic green which, IMHO, is just a more macho sounding name for lime green.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like bright colors sometimes and that green is awesome. I prefer it to the smurf blue and the safety orange.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Green is my favorite color and that green looks great. I am not a fan of toxic green and at this point think it has been overused in general. This green doesn't look like toxic green to me. I say bring it on!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would be interested in lighter colors but not necessarily brighter colors, if that makes sense. I prefer Earth tones but I don't mind a light milky blue or olive green. I really liked the green used on the Rock Lobster (Sage green? I forget the name) and if you took the "ZDP blue" and lightened that up some it would be a cool color (but I do like that one as it is too). I really tend to avoid colors that draw attention to the fact that I'm carrying a knife, whether it's legal or not.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'd love brighter colors, but for me, only on smaller knives. For instance, I love my orange and yellow Dragonflies and Ladybugs. For something as large as the Para I'd have to think about it, Delica sized would like be a buy for me.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

That's a color for people who keep their knives clean. Bright G-10 looks like crap dirty. It's one reason I really like the Blurple; it actually looks better with some use.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dj moonbat wrote:That's a color for people who keep their knives clean. Bright G-10 looks like crap dirty. It's one reason I really like the Blurple; it actually looks better with some use.
That's a good reason to use polished G-10 instead of peel-ply with lighter and brighter colors. It's not the color that gets dirty, it's all the nooks and crannies.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
paladin

Post by paladin »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I'm a huge fan of the smurf blue and orange G10 Spyderco has used in the past. I'd really like it if they released more g10 knives with bright colors. Today I bought a second blue Para 2 and it got me thinking, since it's St Patrick's Day how nice it would be if I could carry a knife with beautiful bright green g10. Something like this..

Liquid Cobra wrote:Seems I'm not alone. I posted the above pic on the large Facebook group and it has received over 250 likes in under three hours. I'm pretty regular on that site and I don't recall many other posts getting that much attention that quickly.
You did realize it was St. Patrick's Day for us Yanks down here on the 17th, right? :D

Probably helped account for at least 240 of your hits right there. :cool:

That's a nice shade of green, btw! And for the record, I not even mostly Irish! ;)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I saw a set of scales Steve Ketchen did for a Pingo that were a nice corn flower blue. I could go for something like that, but those green scales hurt my eyes!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050