Another Military Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
murphjd25

Another Military Thread

Post by murphjd25 »

It's really hard to believe the Millie has been around for 21 years this year, and this is the first time I've ever handled one. I was always skeptical because of its size so I never bothered to get one. Well that has changed, I finally got one today, in the lovely flavor of cruwear. Now don't get me wrong, I really love all my Spydercos, but this thing is just different. It's like it was custom fit to my hand. I have never held a knife that has been more comfortable in hand. All of my Spydercos are great in hand, but this one is just, well it's like it's the one. The four inch blade is a little big but it is not overkill, sometimes you just need a longer blade. I can't wait to really see what this thing is capable of. I had to touch up the edge and do some work to it because the previous owner rolled the edge a bit, and I got to tell you this was the most fun I've had sharpening a knife steel. I don't know what it is, but Cruwear is so freaking nice to sharpen and can take one heck of an edge! Another big thank you to Sal for just getting it so right! Anyways I'll keep you updated how I'm liking it, so here's some pictures just cause! :D
Really fills the hand perfectly!
Even the shiny subtle stonewash on the clip is just very well done, a nice compliment I think.
If you don't have a Military yet and are on the fence, just get one. It is a big knife but once you hold it, it really doesn't feel like its as big as it is, it is really that comfy.
Josh
Bdubs808

Re: Another Military Thread

Post by Bdubs808 »

I bought my first Military last year, also with Cruwear. Now I own 3 Militaries :spyder:
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Glad you like it :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I never noticed before, are the pocket clips on millies 1 position tip down right hand carry only? (that is actually how I would carry it, just never noticed it was the only way)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Yes they are all right hand tip down one position only!
Josh
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the Brotherhood, Josh. :) The Millie is a champion of designs.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

Congrats Josh, I wish you years of faithful service with you awesome military.

JonesE
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, the Millie really fits my hand well, too. I love this knife. The only thing keeping it from being perfect is the lock. I prefer other locks to a liner lock, but I really like this knife a lot. One of my favorites.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

SpyderNut wrote:Welcome to the Brotherhood, Josh. :) The Millie is a champion of designs.
+1,
I too thought the Military would be too big, until I bought my first one a couple years back, now I have 8 :D the 52100 CF is my current favorite.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

The milllie is an absolute classic, i love my 2
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

Hello,

I have been umm'ing and arrh'ing about the military since I got a PM2. If i was a billionairre I would buy one of each style/metal, but alas, I am not that fortunate.

So many members rave about this metal or that metal. I have the PM2 in S110v, so if I were to get a Military I would seek a different steel just for interest.

I see the OP got one in Cruwear, but I also see great reviews of M4, M390 etc.

Considering I have a S110v knife already, what would be a good steel for me to choose in the Military?

Considering I have the PM2 already, I cannot say what I would likely use/need the military for, which obviously makes it much harder for one to recommend a steel. I'm not in any hurry, and have even thought about holding out until perhaps a H1 or Lc200n version may be released, or even until a Military 2 model may be released with a stronger locking mechanism (although I suspect with the type of use I would put a knife thorough any Spyderco locking mechanism would be adequate).

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thank you.
In order of acquisition: Ladybug in H1 : Paramilitary in S110v : Rock Salt in H1 : Vallotton Sub Hilt CPM S30V : Mule Team 23 (CPM20CV) : Next on the wishlist - Dragonfly ZDP189

Thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum. I do not post often but love checking the forum every few days to read new posts and comments. It really is a great forum and I learn so much :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I love millies.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

AndrewM wrote:Hello,

I have been umm'ing and arrh'ing about the military since I got a PM2. If i was a billionairre I would buy one of each style/metal, but alas, I am not that fortunate.

So many members rave about this metal or that metal. I have the PM2 in S110v, so if I were to get a Military I would seek a different steel just for interest.

Considering I have a S110v knife already, what would be a good steel for me to choose in the Military?

Considering I have the PM2 already, I cannot say what I would likely use/need the military for, which obviously makes it much harder for one to recommend a steel. I'm not in any hurry, and have even thought about holding out until perhaps a H1 or Lc200n version may be released, or even until a Military 2 model may be released with a stronger locking mechanism (although I suspect with the type of use I would put a knife thorough any Spyderco locking mechanism would be adequate).

You can't lose with any of the ones you mentioned, even if you got one in S110V. It's a great steel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
brj

Post by brj »

AndrewM wrote:...or even until a Military 2 model may be released with a stronger locking mechanism ...
I think it's maybe close to a decade since I've been waiting myself for the Millie 2 w/ stop lock to be released, it might be wiser to just get a Military now (regardless of the steel) instead of just waiting for the new iteration.

I also love me a Millie or three :D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Working on 6 years since I heard about the mythical Military 2 legend. Liner locks may not be the hot thing but this one is among the best available. It functions just fine for a folding knife. It's also easy to use with gloves. This is a knife that was built to be used for more than pocket jewelry and opening your mail.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Evil D wrote:Working on 6 years since I heard about the mythical Military 2 legend. Liner locks may not be the hot thing but this one is among the best available. It functions just fine for a folding knife. It's also easy to use with gloves. This is a knife that was built to be used for more than pocket jewelry and opening your mail.
I'm figuring I'll give it another few years, and if the Millie 2 still hasn't materialized, I'll get the original just to see what all the fuss is about.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

AndrewM wrote:Hello,

Perhaps a knifeworks.com exclusive 204P steel is in order.

I am just happy with my black S30V standard model.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

Good stuff! The Millie is one of my favorites!
nomad1c

Post by nomad1c »

brj wrote:
AndrewM wrote:...or even until a Military 2 model may be released with a stronger locking mechanism ...
I think it's maybe close to a decade since I've been waiting myself for the Millie 2 w/ stop lock to be released, it might be wiser to just get a Military now (regardless of the steel) instead of just waiting for the new iteration.

I also love me a Millie or three :D

brj, i didn't know there were that many versions!! And only one Spydie edge too (that's an interesting one - wicked jimping). Great collection!! Be interested in a list of all the variants you have.
anycal

Post by anycal »

No reason not to have one, now. The Military had some minor updates recently, so not sure what the likelihood of something new coming.

Peter