Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FLYBYU44

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Post by FLYBYU44 »

The One Eyed Jack would be a must have if they stretched it out Texas Toothpick style.
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

demoncase wrote:Sometimes we need to take a step back and realize that Spyderco are right out at the front of the race- and the rest of the pack is trailing behind them......And that means stuff we take for granted (like S30v, like sprint runs, like the CEO being an active responsive presence on these boards, like requests for sprints or steels or colours being listened to) really doesn't happen elsewhere.

So true!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

That new Manix 2 lock back tho, it is a surprise!
Seems like Para 3, Manix 2 BBL, and Native 5 just had a child (and yes biologically that is totally doable ;) )
Would be so nice if there is minimal or no liners at all just like Manix 2 LW or Native LW, but I understand it is hard with the floating pin design.
Also, slimming the closed profile could probably add more spice to the deal, since a very common complain I hear from Manix 2 users is how ridiculously wide it can be in pocket.

Still waiting for more updates on the Sliver (if there was any) as many are :cool:
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:I just noticed there's no lanyard tube on the new Manix. Maybe they've realized a lot of us take that tube out anyway lol. I took mine out of my Southard and Mantra.
It seems the same weight and size as the older thick Cold Steel American Lawman too, which is an awesome knife (if it had a hole opener). It's going to be my back pocket knife. How secure would you say those clip screw inserts are?
- best wishes, Jazz.
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Evil D wrote:I just noticed there's no lanyard tube on the new Manix. Maybe they've realized a lot of us take that tube out anyway lol. I took mine out of my Southard and Mantra.
I think you mean, most Taichung Ti frame locks? :D
So did I on my K2, and a while ago Domino as well. Same story with one of my friend's Spydiechef. Titanium frames seem not being able to catch the tubes as well as steel liners are.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

And not to mention on Para 3 how the lanyard tube took over the perfect place for tip-up clip installation.
If the configure was similar to that on Manix 2 G10 it could have provided much better carrying experience...
Now I'm just having an endless fight deep inside, arguing if I should stick with Junior, pick one between Sage 5 and Para 3, or wait for the Sliver.
Oh what a torture :(
Last edited by funghiman on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:
It seems the same weight and size as the older thick Cold Steel American Lawman too, which is an awesome knife (if it had a hole opener). It's going to be my back pocket knife. How secure would you say those clip screw inserts are?

That's a good question. I know Spyderco take clip strength pretty serious so I'm sure it got lots of testing. At any rate it has to be better than the old school G10 handles that were tapped straight into the G10. I have some very very high hopes for this knife, I've been wanting a linerless solid G10 Manix 2 for so long, I just haven't found a modder willing to (or perhaps capable of) making me scales that are solid enough to eliminate the liners. Mounting a clip was my next obstacle so Spyderco are a step ahead of me there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2017 Production Sample – Ulrich Henneke Opus

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Opus was an interesting design that only looked like a cross between a Spyderco Military and a Spyderco (G10) Police, but it also kind of handled like a cross between those designs. Still, the Opus has its own distinct design flair that I liked. The ergos worked pretty good for my hands too.

[imghttps://spydercollector.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_opus_blade_1.jpg[/img]

Specifications
Overall Length: 22,5 cm / 8.84 inches
Blade Length: 9,5 cm / 3.75 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 119 grams / 4.2 ounces
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2017 Production Sample – Para 3 Camo

Post by Mr Blonde »

Not a huge surprise I guess, but I thought it was still nice to see the Para 3 with a G-10 digital camo handle. This was the first ‘production sample’ Para 3 I got to handle, and I appreciate the great ergos. Since I’m personally not a fan of ‘basic black’ G-10, I think I’ll hold out for this version of the Para 3 instead.

Specifications
Overall Length: 18,5 cm / 7.27 inches
Blade Length: 7,6 cm / 3 inches
Blade Thickness: 3,8 mm / 0.15 inches
Weight: 85 grams / 3 ounces
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Yet still more to come...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

More good stuff Mr Blonde!

That Opus certainly looks interesting. Based on the catalog specs it's a bit large for my needs but it looks like a nice design.

The Para 3 looks good in digi-cam too!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote: That's a good question. I know Spyderco take clip strength pretty serious so I'm sure it got lots of testing. At any rate it has to be better than the old school G10 handles that were tapped straight into the G10. I have some very very high hopes for this knife, I've been wanting a linerless solid G10 Manix 2 for so long, I just haven't found a modder willing to (or perhaps capable of) making me scales that are solid enough to eliminate the liners. Mounting a clip was my next obstacle so Spyderco are a step ahead of me there.
Aside from this small concern, it looks like a great knife. Can't wait to see some out there.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

The One Eyed Jack looks very nice. How did Sal know that I needed a new knife for poker night? :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

So is the Opus a linerlock?
Spydersense, why exacty do you need a knife for poker?
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

krikun98 wrote: Spydersense, why exacty do you need a knife for poker?
Is this a serious question? To make other players nervous. :rolleyes:

I like the knife.

On second thought, I'd like to have it to cut the cards. :D
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
paladin

Post by paladin »

Spydersense wrote:
krikun98 wrote: Spydersense, why exacty do you need a knife for poker?
Is this a serious question? To make other players nervous. :rolleyes:

I like the knife.
I thought is was to cut the deck :p

but seriously, I like the filework on the backspacer but the transition between it and the blade tang in the open position looks a bit abrupt from Wouter's pics...

But it's probably just because I'm spoiled by the near perfect looking "H's" of the Native 5's :cool:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
paladin

Post by paladin »

Jazz wrote:
Jazz, that American Lawman is a nice piece...and the linerless handles are one of the best features!

Throw in a Spyderhole combined with the TriAD and a high hollow ground VG10 or XHP blade and you have a HOME RUN! :cool:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Another good thing about the backlock Manix2: it' a great way to try out a G-10 M2 without liner jimping without having to grind off the jimping on your lined Manix :D I've been tempted to try the grinding but was afraid I'd regret it.

Edit: clarity
Last edited by DougC-3 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2017 Production Sample – Paul Alexander Design

Post by Mr Blonde »

I think Spyderco did mention a name for this design at the SHOT show. However, I think it turned out that name was already taken, so this design -for now- seems to be known as the ‘Paul Alexander Design’. Alexander also designed the excellent Ouroboros, and this folders seems the be its bigger and flipable brother. It recall it being an exceptionally lightweight design, compared to its size. We had a little snafu weighing this knife, so I can’t give an indication of the knife’s weight. Sorry about that.

Specifications
Overall Length: 20,5 cm / 8.07 inches
Blade Length: 9 cm / 3.54 inches
Blade Thickness: 3,5 mm / 0.13 inches
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2017 Production Sample – Q-Ball

Post by Mr Blonde »

I see the Q-ball as the next family member of the ‘Spyderco tree’ that gave us the Dodo and Poliwog. The feel was surprisingly familiar. The Q-Ball should be a nice new offering for those looking for a solid little big knife! Unfortunately, at this point in the meet things got a bit hectic so we didn’t manage to collect any measurements.