Stretch 2 is gonna be so cool and amazing!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Stretch 2 is gonna be so cool and amazing!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Spyderco Stretch 2 is going to be so excellent. I was looking over some of the pictures that are available. I like how Sal and others re-engineered and re-designed the blade structure and the overall pattern of this knife, while retaining it in the VG10 stainless steel and FRN handle, along with the other steel and handle variations.

What do you all think, especially those here who EDC the original Stretches?

Are even some here who have not had a Stretch before (like myself) considering getting one of the new versions?
Bdubs808

Re: Stretch 2 is gonna be so cool and amazing!

Post by Bdubs808 »

I'm stongly considering getting the ZDP189 version, it's the right price. Been having a hard time pulling the trigger on the brown G10 version.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

I've never handled a stretch but look forward to giving the Stretch 2 a shot. I've heard to many good things about the original. Just never cared for the look of the butt of the handle. Since they fixed that I will have to bite on this one.
APS

Post by APS »

I have multiples of the original and it's probably the one model that I edc'd the most over the years. I don't really like the lines of the new one but who knows after I get a chance to handle it.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

If Sal did a K390 in grey frn, like the Urban I just might.

Ken

(Yes, I know, Japan. But they've shown they "are willing to negotiate" ;)
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

kbuzbee wrote:If Sal did a K390 in grey frn, like the Urban I just might.

Ken

(Yes, I know, Japan. But they've shown they "are willing to negotiate" ;)
This would be a great combo for the stretch, I'd have one. And isn't the police 4 with k390 being made in Japan?
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The new blade shape is a deal breaker for me.The wider blade almost transforms the Stretch 2 in a pure skinner.I am just curious, what was the idea behind the Stretch2 changes in design :confused: I know Sal is a very wise designer and I supose he envisioned something when he made those changes.Maybe he is willing to share with us....

Marius
cali

Post by cali »

Stretch is one of my favourite utility folders, for me the design is far better than Endura and Delica. For now I also do not see how the changes in Stretch 2 would make the knife better.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I enjoy the original stretch and have also had a brown g10 stretch2 for over a year now. In my opinion the changes are subtle and I like both of them. I probably prefer the handle and choil of the new Stretch but the finer point of the older Stretch suits my uses better. This is being picky though as the differences really are subtle and many people would have to hold them side by side to see.

I would like a sprint run Stretch2 in k390 as well. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jdw

Post by jdw »

I had never really understood the brilliant design of the original Stretch until I bought a HAP40 version for my son. He is REALLY into bush crafting and has used the heck out of it. He liked it so much, and I like SE versions so much, that I bought a SE version on the secondary market and now have a Super Blue on the way. All that to say that I have no idea why they would change the original design. It figures, I just discovered the perfection of it and they are changing it. I have to say that I have a special place in my heart for ZDP189 though.
And a frn run of anything in K390 sounds awesome.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
sal

Post by sal »

The changes were minor improvements that I felt would make model better at function. I designed the Stretch for me to use and in daily use, there were a few details that needed improvement. I'm now carrying a Stretch 2 in ZDP and I find it to be an ideal model for me. Now we'll see if others feel the same way.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:The changes were minor improvements that I felt would make model better at function. I designed the Stretch for me to use and in daily use, there were a few details that needed improvement. I'm now carrying a Stretch 2 in ZDP and I find it to be an ideal model for me. Now we'll see if others feel the same way.

sal
What would you say the improvements are Sal ? Are you going to implement a stronger back lock ? I must say ; if you declare this is an ideal model for you, I'll get one for sure to test it.

Marius
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

It's on my short list for sure. My green ZDP is quite a pleasure to use, and the chunkier handle looks like a nice refinement. That's what I'm most interested in.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Maybe some comparison pics?

Basically the three changes were a wider blade towards the tip with a little more of a hump, a bigger choil and the pinky horn has been dragged back a tad. The Stretch2 definitely fits me better with gloves on than the original.

Here they are again with a pic of the choil.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Saying I like the Stretch would be an understatement of epic proportions. I was an "early adopter" when the Stretch first came out in late 2004, and have had one version or another in my pocket almost daily ever since. I've also had several of them customized for me.

The older versions fit my hand like a glove, so I'm not as excited over the Stretch 2 as I would have been if Sal had managed to give it a deeper 50/50 choil without changing anything else. However, the "bad news" for me will be "good news" for those who found the Stretch handle a bit cramped. That, hopefully, will give it better sales potential than the earlier versions.

I'll just add that, back in 2014 before the G-10 Stretch 2 was released, I had the privilege of having a prototype to play with for a few days. If you're interested, my observations can be found here.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I have no interest in the new one. With the larger choil, the area between the end of the handle and the cutting edge is increased. I also don't like the wider blade near the tip. The original FRN Stretch was perfect IMO.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am now convinced more than ever that the new, Stretch 2, is nearly a "Perfect Folding Pocket Pen Knife" as far as I am concerned. Sal you really did an amazing job on this knife, and I don't even have one yet. God willing, I am going to get one in honor of Sal and Deacon :) The combination of super blade steel and fiberglass reinforced nylon is just perfect and amazing. Thank you.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

speaking of the stretch, any updates on the "Deacon Stretch"?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Kid Shamrock

Post by Kid Shamrock »

I'd love to see a version of the Stretch 2 with S110v steel and blurple FRN. Anyone else agree?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I'm waiting for the VG-10 Stretch 2, looking forward to try the new design, especially the new choil.
Also tempted to get the ZDP one instead of waiting..
Has there been any word about the VG-10 version coming out?