S110v vs M390 pm2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re: S110v vs M390 pm2

Post by awa54 »

Is CPM 20CV still available? if it is, one of the usual suspects in the exclusive game should have a PM2 done in that, maybe then fewer toes would feel stepped on ;) ...KC, with brown G10 maybe?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

One upside of the higher price charged by Bento Box Shop is that it discourages speculators from buying out the entire run to resell at inflated prices on the secondary market.
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

Spydersense wrote:
OakTree wrote:I had a picture of the M390 PM2 on my screen and my daughter just walked in and said: "That's pretty! I like it!".
She has great taste. :)
I showed her all the variations that are available and she likes the M390 the most. The S35 one also got compliments.
She was shocked at the price and when I explained that it's in US dollars and even more in Canadian money, she was even more shocked. This was a good opportunity to explain how the price of an item factors heavily on my decision to buy it or not.

She also commented on how she likes the "Bug" so I showed her the "Bug" on my Delica, Dragonfly, and Manbug.
Patronus

Post by Patronus »

You guys are awesome, thank you all for the replies and feedback! I lowkey dropped hints at colors he prefers (I zoomed in on the blurple handle and asked if he would prefer this color on his tools over the blue one - he didn't like blurple very well LOL).

As for the steels, I have really learned a lot from you guys. If it ever comes down to doing another gift for someone else, I know where to turn to. Again, sharing your experiences and expertise is just awesome! After doing a lot more research, I think Im getting into this hobby as well LOL! The para2 and other spydercos sure are nice looking knives... and I would find it useful - if not to be used everyday but at least weekly for various chores. Wheres a good place to start for me to get into a hobby like this? rather, what knife out there really appeals to women?

Looking at all the colors for the para2, i find the m390, elmax, and 204p handle colors really appealing but those price tags are a bit scary... Is it worth the investment otherwise?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Patronus wrote:
Looking at all the colors for the para2, i find the m390, elmax, and 204p handle colors really appealing but those price tags are a bit scary... Is it worth the investment otherwise?
That's a rather subjective question. :) We must all answer that for ourselves. (Hint: the answer is always yes.)

As for what knife to try as your first, that's also hard to answer. I'd say start with something less expensive til you know what you like so spending money will be less of a gamble. Here's what comes to my mind as a good first knife, Spyderco or otherwise:

The Delica is as classic as it gets. No nonsense, light and on the smaller side, and comes in many colors. Mine is a stainless-handled serrated, and was also my very first.

The Native is also a good smaller, compact knife with a different feel. Not available in as many colors, but it does come in G10 as well as the lightweight FRN.

For something bigger, you might try the Endura (a larger version of the Delica), or maybe a Manix. Or heck, dive right in and get yourself a PM2 or a Military! So many options, but whichever you choose..muahahaha...welcome to the Spyderlife!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Patronus wrote:You guys are awesome, thank you all for the replies and feedback! I lowkey dropped hints at colors he prefers (I zoomed in on the blurple handle and asked if he would prefer this color on his tools over the blue one - he didn't like blurple very well LOL).

As for the steels, I have really learned a lot from you guys. If it ever comes down to doing another gift for someone else, I know where to turn to. Again, sharing your experiences and expertise is just awesome! After doing a lot more research, I think Im getting into this hobby as well LOL! The para2 and other spydercos sure are nice looking knives... and I would find it useful - if not to be used everyday but at least weekly for various chores. Wheres a good place to start for me to get into a hobby like this? rather, what knife out there really appeals to women?

hi patronus, you can watch knife girl ally's channel on youtube if you want to hear what a female knifenut's take on the matter. she also replies to questions and comments if you have some. welcome to the forums!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

awa54 wrote:
Bodog wrote:M390 all the way. Just not from bentobox. Ever. At all. If it is a choice between anything at bentobox and an S110V, then go for the S110V. And the extra money can buy a steak and a new teddy to show off to your boyfriend. And a couple black rhino 3000's. That'd be much better than the minimal improvement of M390 over S110V. And yeah, those black rhinos work. Like freaking TNT.
Nice go at showing off your clueless/crass/sexist side Bodog, you might want to try treating new female forum members more like fellow knife enthusiasts than sex toys! :mad:

Thanks for trying to make something out of nothing. Taking a pretty innocuous post and creating a negative vibe in an otherwise positive thread isn't helpful to anyone.

Patronus, welcome to the forum and to the hobby. There aren't many better forums to solicit advice and knowledge about knives than this one right here.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bodog wrote:
awa54 wrote:
Bodog wrote:M390 all the way. Just not from bentobox. Ever. At all. If it is a choice between anything at bentobox and an S110V, then go for the S110V. And the extra money can buy a steak and a new teddy to show off to your boyfriend. And a couple black rhino 3000's. That'd be much better than the minimal improvement of M390 over S110V. And yeah, those black rhinos work. Like freaking TNT.
Nice go at showing off your clueless/crass/sexist side Bodog, you might want to try treating new female forum members more like fellow knife enthusiasts than sex toys! :mad:

Thanks for trying to make something out of nothing. Taking a pretty innocuous post and creating a negative vibe in an otherwise positive thread isn't helpful to anyone.

Patronus, welcome to the forum and to the hobby. There aren't many better forums to solicit advice and knowledge about knives than this one right here.
Nah mate, he was right. Maybe a little harsh, but right. You don't talk to a woman you don't know on a public forum that way. Sorry man, you call a lot of stuff right and I try to chime in and agree with you when you do...but this isn't one of those times.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I can't think of any reason to choose M390 over S110V in the Military.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Surfingringo wrote:
Bodog wrote:
awa54 wrote:

Nah mate, he was right. Maybe a little harsh, but right. You don't talk to a woman you don't know on a public forum that way. Sorry man, you call a lot of stuff right and I try to chime in and agree with you when you do...but this isn't one of those times.

To patronus, normally things don't get dramatic around here. Sorry your first thread did because of something I said and how someone reacted to it.

To pretty much anyone:
I'm sorry if anyone was offended but I'm not sorry for assuming Patronus is an equal adult in a normal relationship where the two people enjoy each others' company in a normal way and celebrate things in normal ways. It's not my place to dig or question what they do, I don't care, it's not my business. She's, apparently from the OP, an adult and should be talked to just like any other adult. Nothing obscene or vulgar was stated. Nothing was even mentioned that would be worse than what's mentioned in some G rated movies and is definitely mentioned in PG movies. TV commercials are worse than what I said. At the very most it may have been slightly too forward for a new member but I'm not going to come close to ever thinking that even devoutly religious don't or can't say or hear what I said. There's a lot of sensitivity and fake outrage in society today and it's bullcrap. And to say that statement was sexist? Nah, sexism is thinking because she's a woman she shouldn't get the same kind of suggestions a man would get because she can't handle it due to being more fragile or dainty or has more sensitive ears (eyes) or whatever.

If anyone was offended, I'm sorry. I've heard far worse out of the mouths of 10 year olds than what I said and didn't ever imagine people would be THAT sensitive to a normal suggestion to what I assume is a normal, equal adult. It was half joking anyway. But since it went and got serious I guess I should take the first step and try to smooth things over.

And for anyone wondering but dont want to look black rhinos are just male supplements, not any kind of perverse thing that might be assumed based on some of the followup comments.

Now can we get back to talking about knives instead of a pretty tame comment? It's kind of embarrassing that this became a point of discussion in any way.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Way to apologize without apologizing.

I'm with the rest, you crossed the line.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Patronus wrote:You guys are awesome, thank you all for the replies and feedback! I lowkey dropped hints at colors he prefers (I zoomed in on the blurple handle and asked if he would prefer this color on his tools over the blue one - he didn't like blurple very well LOL).

There's definitely a price premium on larger heavier duty knives like the PM2, if you need the cutting power and are in to high tech steels, then they are actually a good deal compared to many other manufacturer's products, but if you want something a bit more in line with what most people need a knife for in everyday life (opening mail, boxes, packaging, trimming loose strings, light food prep etc.) then there are lots of smaller knives that are less expensive and still very nicely made. I have been using an Urban lately, it doesn't have a locking blade, but does everything I need it to at work and around the house and the standard version of it is about $50, the premium one $65.

If you like the green G10 and something under $150, then getting on a pre-order list for the HAP40 Caly 3 might be a good call. It's a limited run knife with great steel, excellent ergonomics for all but the largest hands and is big enough to do plenty of work. Other classics that are much less expensive are the Delica and Dragonfly, both available in several colors and extremely useful, on the smaller side the Ladybug and Manbug are both great if you don't need to cut anything too large. A bit pricier, but also more upscale there's the Chaparral. In the end it depends on what you need to cut and what fits your hand well as to which is best.

P.S. my GF had a couple cheapo folding lock blades from before we met, she works in landscaping so I replaced them with a rugged CRKT knife with an ambidexterous lock (she's a lefty) and partial serrations and a Bladetech Mouse in blue (favorite color, easier to carry in non-work pants). Both are decent knives, though neither is as nice as a Spyderco, since she has declared that they will get used hard and as long as they cut they're good enough. So the subject of what knife appeals to women is pretty much the same as what knife appeals to men, I think it's just that guys are expected to know more about the subject (even if most don't) :D

...not really a plug for KW, but they're the only one I have seen with a pre-order available on the Caly 3 and Meerkat sprints at this point:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP113G ... sprint-run

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP64JP ... sprint-run
Last edited by awa54 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Chaparral Raffir Noble.

[Drops the Mike and walks away]

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP152R ... le-handles
Last edited by Bodog on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bodog wrote:.

Chaparral Raffir Noble.

[Drops the Mike and walks away]

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP152R ... le-handles

another great call! and ridiculously cheap for what you get.

the real problem with making recommendations for new potential Spyderholics is that there are so many great choices...
-David

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

A flat ground Delica is hard to beat as a first Spyderco folder. Man or woman, it doesn't matter. It is big enough to cover most common pocket knife needs, yet very slim and lightweight. It disappears in most pockets, yet the handle provides a solid grip. The back lock is ambidextrous. It's a fantastic cutter, just don't pry with it.
Patronus

Post by Patronus »

Ankerson wrote:I can't think of any reason to choose M390 over S110V in the Military.
Oh why's that? and youre the guy everyone is talking about!!!! Would you prefer the S110V pm2 over the m390 then? Or is there a lot more to this story?

And thank you guys again. And dont worry Bodog and others, I got it. I personally didn't take it personally or offensive, just some playful bantar is all. When I did google it however, I was genuinely confused... Followed by the clearing of my search history from google LOL. But you guys have been really welcoming, I really do appreciate it! :D :D :D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Bodog wrote:

Now can we get back to talking about knives instead of a pretty tame comment? It's kind of embarrassing that this became a point of discussion in any way.
I wouldn't worry about it. There are always people trying to show off on their white horses on every little thing here. I'm pretty out of place here because I have a raw sense of humor and a big mouth but the goody two shoes attitude sometimes wears thin. I like to call 'em as I see 'em. Grownups shouldn't have a problem with your comment.

So have at me folks.

Meme time.

Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Patronus wrote:
Ankerson wrote:I can't think of any reason to choose M390 over S110V in the Military.
Oh why's that? and youre the guy everyone is talking about!!!! Would you prefer the S110V pm2 over the m390 then? Or is there a lot more to this story?

And thank you guys again. And dont worry Bodog and others, I got it. I personally didn't take it personally or offensive, just some playful bantar is all. When I did google it however, I was genuinely confused... Followed by the clearing of my search history from google LOL. But you guys have been really welcoming, I really do appreciate it! :D :D :D

Take all of the positives that M390 has and add in extreme edge retention and you have S110V.

S110V doesn't give up anything to M390 in knives like the Military and or small to med sized fixed blades under any sort of realistic use.

S110V isn't really all that bad to sharpen or maintain either if you don't over think it. S110V will take an incredible edge and hold it for a very long time so depending on use etc times between sharpening or touchups can be long.

Works best with a coarse to med edge finish, something in the 320 to 800 grit range.
attila

Post by attila »

Ankerson wrote:
S110V...Works best with a coarse to med edge finish, something in the 320 to 800 grit range.
Would you say that's like finishing sharpening/touching up with spyderco medium stone?

Thanks
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5