Best EDC Flashlight?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
OutofGum

Best EDC Flashlight?

Post by OutofGum »

I'm looking for a light to add to my key chain. I'm looking at the Arc AAA and Stream light AAA, but don't know much about either. Anyone have experience / advice about what light is good as an EDC? Thanks
rycen

Post by rycen »

Arc is no longer in business but I still think it is the best keychain light out there.I didnt know streamlight made a AAA light?
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

I just found out that Arc is out of business... the AAA was my first choice. I think you're right about Stream light not having an AAA, for some reason I thought they did.

I'm looking for a small LED which is bright, uses an ordinary battery, is under $30 and it tough. As far as I know, there are no other companies which make an LED with a single AAA, so I guess I'll have to go with an AA.

I know Gerber makes the ultra infinity task light, and inova has the x1 sportlight, but I don't know any others, and I don't know if the lights I mentioned are any good.
RLR

Post by RLR »

Not exactly keychain, but small, versatile and bright: Streamlight Tasklight I cel lithium:

http://www.streamlight.com/tasklight_info.htm

Best light under $20.
rycen

Post by rycen »

Check out Peak Led at TAD
seaman

Post by seaman »

How about a photon.
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

OutofGum,

After trying a number of "key chain" lights, I was never satisfied. For a couple of years now, my EDC flashlight has been a Surefire 3P. So impressed, I put the bigger 6P in the car.

I know this may fall outside of your remit for EDC but I don't think there are better lights.

Regards,

Simon.
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Moon

Post by Moon »

I recently purchased a Peak AAA prototype 1 led and an Arc AAA. For the $15 shipped for the Peak I would say it was well worth it. I gave the Peak to a friend of mine when I received my ARC though.

If you can afford an ARC at ebay prices, go for it. If not I would check out Peak, I plan on purchasing one of the AAA 3 LED's from them in the near future.

http://www.peakledsolutions.net/flashlights.html
jbake

Post by jbake »

Steamlight does make a "KeyMate". It uses four button type cells. I believe it gives you a lot of flash for the cash (It is really small and bright).
I really like it. Here's an OLD thread with pics:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... #post11429

I keep an inova led light on my keychain - much dimmer with a non standard batt, but so small you don't know it's there.

In addition to my keychain lights, I've been adding bigger EDCs. Just bought a SureFire L2 :cool:
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

Photons = :cool: :spyder: :cool:

sam
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

I actually do have a photon light on my key chain now, but I like having something I can pop rechargable / easy to find batteries into.

Thanks for the info on the Peak LEDs, rycen and Moon. They do look a lot like the ARC. How does the brightness / build quality compare? I was looking at the ebay prices - just a couple months ago the AAAs were in the low 20's, now its more like 70s. A bit too high for me.

I've looked at surefire, and they look like great lights, but are definitely out of my price range at the moment. Great tactical light I'm sure.

I'll do a little more poking around, but I'm liking the Peaks a lot right now. Thanks for all the replys.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Arc AAA - try to get one while you can...
PeakLed's AAA models are way bigger and less bright I've heard.
I hope my Limited Edition Arc AAA will last a lifetime...

Ted
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha!
I'd have to agree with jbake on the Keymate by Streamlight...bright little sucker for something so small! Plus, it has a clip! ;)

I recently used it on a Bomb Threat at my facility as our 3D Mag lights were not working...typical.

I have an ARC, but it is VERY temperamental...works only when IT wants to?! LOL!

Mahalo jbake...ya old fart! LOL! Kidding man! :D

Uh, KOM..."care to share"? My eyes are bleeding!!! :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
king-of-mars

Post by king-of-mars »

I agree with DayWalker about the Streamlight Keymate, it's very cool! (Thanks Chad)! :D I also like the Inova X1, and the new Inova T1 is excellent, as for EDC I'm using the Surefire E2D, it might be overkill, but you never know when you might need the ol' Flash and Bash! (If there happens to be an Onion or Brownie near!) :p
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I like Surefires because of their sheer durability, plus they're darn bright.

Even is you don't choose a Surefire (they ARE expensive, I agree), check out their batteries; you can buy a box of 12 of their SF123 Lithium batteries for $15. That's a great deal!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Moon

Post by Moon »

Ted wrote:Arc AAA - try to get one while you can...
PeakLed's AAA models are way bigger and less bright I've heard.
I hope my Limited Edition Arc AAA will last a lifetime...

Ted
The peak prototype I had was identical in size to the Arc. I have heard the newer production models are a bit bigger due to the removable tailcap.

The Arc is brighter though.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi All - I aggree with Jimd in that I feel that the Surefire lights are simply the best. (period)
I've been facinated with lights for a long time and like the latests devellopments in LED technology (Luxeon Star) a lot. Still they do not compare with the sheer power a (any) SF flashlight will bring you.

I'was very sorry to hear about the fate that Arc flashlights took, as I highly appreciated Peter G's work.

Still, compared to SF all your investments in other brands are second choice.
My advice: save up and buy 1st quality.

See the light guys - go get them! :)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Jurphaas!

Are you "coming or going"? :confused:

God bless you EITHER way!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
RAT 54

Post by RAT 54 »

IMO Surefire is worth spending the money on.I carry a Surefire 6P pretty much every where. For strong white light the 6P is great.I have tried a bright (~40 lumen) LED, but the Surefire is my choice of EDC, well one of them...

I also carry a little ToolLogic Traclite (an LED light) on a cord around my neck. Sounds like a strange place to have a light I know. It started out going there because I did not have room on my key ring for the light, but I have found that it is a handy place. I have often used the light when I have put my keys down i.e. would not have the light if it were on my keys.

The base of the light has a magnet. Again this sounds strange, but the number of times that I have found it to be useful. Stick it to the inside of my car boot when hunting for gear, (My boot light does not work since a wee mishap with a lamp post :o ) inside of a PC case when swapping a cards etc.

I find the low output of the Traclite useful. Often the 6p provides too much light, and having something the provides less light is better. The type of light you get from a LED is different , and having both is IMO an advantage.
Ian
Moon

Post by Moon »

RAT 54 wrote:The base of the light has a magnet. Again this sounds strange, but the number of times that I have found it to be useful. inside of a PC case when swapping a cards etc.
Carefull with that magnet near your PC, I have heard that a magnet can damage your HD. Im no computer guru, thats just what I have read on the net ;)