D2 steel question

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bryan123

D2 steel question

Post by bryan123 »

Hi,

I have one new knife that had D2 steel, an Esee Zancudo. D2 is not quite stainless so I'd like to know what should be done to help prevent corrosion, besides wiping the blade dry after using. People have mentioned for example wiping the blade periodically with oil but no one mentioned any specific product.

Thanks
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
yablanowitz

Re: D2 steel question

Post by yablanowitz »

Mineral oil is food safe, so some people like to use it on their blades. I live in a pretty dry climate, so I generally don't use anything on mine. Really rust prone steels like 1095 and O-1 may get a dab of Chap Stick smeared on the blade once in a while, if I happen to have some in my pocket, but that doesn't happen very often.
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

yablanowitz wrote:Mineral oil is food safe, so some people like to use it on their blades. I live in a pretty dry climate, so I generally don't use anything on mine. Really rust prone steels like 1095 and O-1 may get a dab of Chap Stick smeared on the blade once in a while, if I happen to have some in my pocket, but that doesn't happen very often.
Chap stick....applied with tissue or a napkin or something else?

Thanks
Bryan
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Usually applied with my fingers. Touch the stick to each side of the blade, wipe with finger and thumb to spread the stuff over the whole surface, call it a day. I personally think people worry entirely too much about germs. There is a whole world out there that has not been sanitized for your protection, and I live in it. I don't sterilize my knife in an autoclave before I cut up an apple to eat either. Call me a barbarian, I don't care.
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

yablanowitz wrote:Usually applied with my fingers. Touch the stick to each side of the blade, wipe with finger and thumb to spread the stuff over the whole surface, call it a day. I personally think people worry entirely too much about germs. There is a whole world out there that has not been sanitized for your protection, and I live in it. I don't sterilize my knife in an autoclave before I cut up an apple to eat either. Call me a barbarian, I don't care.
Not calling you a barbarian at all, since I'm not a germophobe either. I'm a physician specializing in immune deficiencies, but let that go. just wanted to know the preferred way to apply chapstick to my D2 blade without compromising the blade, and thanks for the info.
Bryan
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am glad you mentioned this because D2 steel is interesting to me but I have been a little apprehensive about it because it is not as satiny stainless as some other knife steel, and I don't like the color shade of it much. But I have seen some good knives made from it, as well.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

bryan123 wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:Usually applied with my fingers. Touch the stick to each side of the blade, wipe with finger and thumb to spread the stuff over the whole surface, call it a day. I personally think people worry entirely too much about germs. There is a whole world out there that has not been sanitized for your protection, and I live in it. I don't sterilize my knife in an autoclave before I cut up an apple to eat either. Call me a barbarian, I don't care.
Not calling you a barbarian at all, since I'm not a germophobe either. I'm a physician specializing in immune deficiencies, but let that go. just wanted to know the preferred way to apply chapstick to my D2 blade without compromising the blade, and thanks for the info.
Sorry, I get a lot of "Ewww. That's gross!" responses to some of the things I do all the time. I suppose you could apply it with a napkin or tissue or handkerchief or shirt tail or whatever else you have handy. I just always have fingers handy, that's all. Vaseline or other brand of petroleum jelly would work as well. Chap Stick is easier to carry around, and since it's safe enough to use on my lips, I figure it won't poison me if I get some on my apple. D2 is actually pretty darn close to stainless, so if you wipe it dry after use you should be good.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

yablanowitz wrote:
bryan123 wrote:
Sorry, I get a lot of "Ewww. That's gross!" responses to some of the things I do all the time. I suppose you could apply it with a napkin or tissue or handkerchief or shirt tail or whatever else you have handy. I just always have fingers handy, that's all. Vaseline or other brand of petroleum jelly would work as well. Chap Stick is easier to carry around, and since it's safe enough to use on my lips, I figure it won't poison me if I get some on my apple. D2 is actually pretty darn close to stainless, so if you wipe it dry after use you should be good.
FWIW, my dad used to "sterilize" the blade of his trusty Swiss Army knife by wiping it on his jeans prior to cutting up fruit for the kids. Seems like it must have worked as I am still alive and fairly normal. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My main issue with applying a wax-based protectant to the blade would be buildup. Wax has a nasty habit of collecting bits of dust and dirt and creating a waxy residue that can gum up the innards of your knife. It sounds like you use just a very light swipe - and that's probably OK - but you'll want to occasionally clean and oil the pivot area to ensure that none of the wax has migrated there.

Personally, I use a light machine oil, mineral oil, or specialized product (such as Tuf Glide). With D2 and other "near stainless" steels, all you need is a little swipe every now and again. And if you carry it in a sweaty pocket during the summer, wipe it down after you carry. No biggie.

TedP
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The frequency with which I apply such protectants pretty much precludes the possibility of buildup. Third blue moons just don't happen that often.
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

OP here. I decided to use a very very small (pass the magnifying glass) amount of Vaseline applied with a Q-tip. I'm kind of accident prone (klutz) and I figured this was the safest way.

Thanks.
Last edited by bryan123 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

D2 gets a bad rap in general. It's very good steel when used properly. Not nearly as rust-prone as simple carbon steel, so a bit of care is all you need.

I typically use wd 40 for my stuff like this. Cheap & easy, but there's nothing like a bit of prevention after using a blade (rinse or clean with soapy water, dry it off) then coat lightly with wd 40 & forget about it. Living in the desert helps also....
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

noseoil wrote:D2 gets a bad rap in general. It's very good steel when used properly. Not nearly as rust-prone as simple carbon steel, so a bit of care is all you need.

I typically use wd 40 for my stuff like this. Cheap & easy, but there's nothing like a bit of prevention after using a blade (rinse or clean with soapy water, dry it off) then coat lightly with wd 40 & forget about it. Living in the desert helps also....
Would WD 40 be safe if the knife is going to be used for food prep? There's a warning to call poison control if swallowed
Bryan
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

No for food prep. Yes for common sense here. Mineral oil for food prep, as was already mentioned. A "work knife" which is used in the shop or outdoors doesn't get used for food prep with our use. A food prep knife isn't used for chopping outdoors.

The D2 food knife in the trailer is just washed & dried, so far no issues with it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Vaseline. Food safe. Does not come off easy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

only the lightest coat needed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have quite a few knives in D2 and have never needed to do anything more than keep them clean.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I have quite a few knives in D2 and have never needed to do anything more than keep them clean.
Ditto!...Doc:)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Me, too. However, I do not know what his climate is like. Here, I will put a bit of Vaseline as it is salty and 100% humidity all the time. Back home, I never did anything (except wash the deer blood off).

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bryan123 wrote: ...just wanted to know the preferred way to apply chapstick to my D2 blade without compromising the blade, and thanks for the info.

lol, I'd worry more about compromising your finger!

Don't forget the tang of the blade under the handle scales, which is hard to get to ...cleaning/lubing that area will require disassembly to do without making a mess with excess lube.

If you want a non toxic WD40 alternative there's always Ballistol :P
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...