Switch : Delica 4 for dragonfly 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toeterbaas

Switch : Delica 4 for dragonfly 2?

Post by toeterbaas »

I think the DF2 is so sexy.
Would you sell your delica to get the DF2?
I can buy the DF2 but i dont need more knives then 1 :)

Also wich DF2 should you take?

I was looking after the chubby but it is so fat !
Delica 4 Zome , Lava Silver
farnorthdan

Re: Switch : Delica 4 for dragonfly 2?

Post by farnorthdan »

That's a tough question, they're both great designs. If I had to choose though it would be the Delica, prefer to have just a little more blade and fits my hand better but Dfly is a very close second. As far as a favorite flavor, I'd have to go with super blue.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It comes down to your needs and uses. As a stand alone blade I just can't go any smaller than a Delica personally. To me the Delica is already a small knife. Also, I would take a Chaparral over a Dragonfly any day of the week. I love the Chaparral but usually carry it as a companion to a larger folder.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

I have both the Delica 4 and Dragonfly 2 with FRN and VG-10 steel. Like and use them both.

To break it down I like the Dragonfly's pocket clip better. both have excellent performance and ergonomics.

Legal considerations: Massachusetts state knife blade limit is 3 inches. However certain cities including the city where I work and the city where my girlfriend lives, and Boston, have a 2.5 inch blade limit. So if I'm going to any of these cities the Dragonfly gets the call.

Funny story: yesterday I joined the NRA. They have an official NRA pocket knife for which I was eligible to receive. The problem is that its blade length is 2.75 inches so it's not legal to carry where I work (I'm a physician).

My plan: Get the knife and have a knifesmith modify the blade so it's 2.49 inches. Then, laser engrave the blade to specify that this was done because of the crazy knife laws in Lawrence, Lowell, and Boston, Massachuestts. Then, make a video on You Tube and hope it goes viral.
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

2 knives are better than 1 in my book :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I like the Dragonfly a lot more than the Delica. I almost never carry a Delica, and the Dragonfly is one of my go to knives for restrictive jurisdictions, as well as my "utility knife everywhere"--I have them stashed in my desk, toolbox, vehicle, backpack, etc.

That said, if I was only going to have one knife, and it had to be one of these two, I'd opt for the Delica because the larger form is more versatile, so it's likely to work in a wider variety of applications.

Someone already said this, but for the the Chapparal beats them both as an "only" knife. It gives me the precise control of the Dragonfly, with a slightly larger form factor that gives me more versatility.
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

Thanks for all the answers.
I think the delica is to agressive to peal an apple with it at work.
The DF looks less like a knife.
I love to peal fruit with a spyder.

Is there a g10 green with vg-10 clone?
The question is because someone sell it for 75 euro and i do not want to get a clone.
Tough the seller looks like she has only real spydercos
vivi

Post by vivi »

Neither of them have handles that fit my hand. If I want to carry a small knife I grab my Spin.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

toeterbaas wrote:Thanks for all the answers.

The question is because someone sell it for 75 euro and i do not want to get a clone.
I'm sure there probably is a clone but Spyderco did do a G10/green sprint on the Delica and Endura.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Hah, I use a Police 3 to cut up apples at the office.

Good luck choosing your knife :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

It is hard to go wrong with either model. However, if I had to choose one over the other, it would be the Dragonfly over the Delica. I like smaller knives and the Dfly2 is the perfect EDC size (IMO). You might be able to still purchase a HAP-40 Dfly2 if you shop around. If not, I'd go with the H1 variation.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

toeterbaas wrote: Is there a g10 green with vg-10 clone?
You mean like this?
http://gloimg.gearbest.com/gb/pdm-produ ... _52587.jpg
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have several DF2s that I carry as a back up to a larger blade because I work in both an office environment and other less savory places. I have found that most people find the DF2 more of an interesting curiosity as opposed to threatening. If you can find a ZDP version with Nishijin I would recommend one but they are becoming harder to find on the secondary market. I like VG10 but I would recommend going with the frn version of ZDP, HAP40, or Super Blue. The "upgrade" in steel is worth it to me.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

There is no wrong answer here. Both are competent enough to serve as your only EDC knife. I think if I had to pick just one, it would be the Dragonfly. I think it would cover more situations better than the Delica due to the size and the wire clip. In terms of steel, I can't recommend the HAP40 enough. If you can find and buy a HAP40 Dragonfly, you will be really set. Barring that, get the ZDP-189 version.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

Thanks for all the answers again , not sure if I want to sell my delica.
I think I can't cut an apple with a df
mattman

Post by mattman »

farnorthdan wrote:

I'm sure there probably is a clone but Spyderco did do a G10/green sprint on the Delica and Endura.
G10 Dragonfly is regular production.
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

toeterbaas wrote:Thanks for all the answers again , not sure if I want to sell my delica.
I think I can't cut an apple with a df
I don't cut apples at work but I do cut oranges and the DF is too small for the job.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

TomAiello wrote:I like the Dragonfly a lot more than the Delica. I almost never carry a Delica, and the Dragonfly is one of my go to knives for restrictive jurisdictions, as well as my "utility knife everywhere"--I have them stashed in my desk, toolbox, vehicle, backpack, etc.

That said, if I was only going to have one knife, and it had to be one of these two, I'd opt for the Delica because the larger form is more versatile, so it's likely to work in a wider variety of applications.

Someone already said this, but for the the Chapparal beats them both as an "only" knife. It gives me the precise control of the Dragonfly, with a slightly larger form factor that gives me more versatility.
This is exactly how I feel as well.
spyduser0

Post by spyduser0 »

I wouldn't. The dragonfly is too small IMO to use as a primary folder all the time. Delica is more versatile.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I've been carrying Dflies for a month or 2 now, and they'll do a lot more than you think.... but you know us - we think you should have both. I do applaud your restraint with only wanting one. Delicas are, of course, awesome. They're both awesome knives. Sorry, I can't seem to help you. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.