Snakes: Your encounters with them and your opinions?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Snakes: Your encounters with them and your opinions?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What do you all think of snakes, both venomous and non venomous, and what are some encounters you've had with them?

Two that I remember:

1 When I was a kid we were hiking and I was climbing up a small rocky cliff to get ontop of a hill. There was a large flat rock with the sun on it, and as I got closer I suddenly heard a rattling sound. Sure enough, it was a medium sized rattle snake basking in the sun. I slowly moved back downwards from where I was, until I was far from it. Man I was scared.

2 I was visiting a friend's house who lived way out in the forest and a large black snake got into their house. It was non venomous and they said it eats poisonous snakes. I forget what species of snakes it was. They carefully picked it up and carried it outside and safely released it, it slithered off into the bushes.

Also, has anyone here ever eaten snake meat? I have been told that some taste very good, such as copper heads and others.
holeshot

Re: Snakes: Your encounters with them and your opinions?

Post by holeshot »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What do you all think of snakes, both venomous and non venomous, and what are some encounters you've had with them?

Two that I remember:

1 When I was a kid we were hiking and I was climbing up a small rocky cliff to get ontop of a hill. There was a large flat rock with the sun on it, and as I got closer I suddenly heard a rattling sound. Sure enough, it was a medium sized rattle snake basking in the sun. I slowly moved back downwards from where I was, until I was far from it. Man I was scared.

2 I was visiting a friend's house who lived way out in the forest and a large black snake got into their house. It was non venomous and they said it eats poisonous snakes. I forget what species of snakes it was. They carefully picked it up and carried it outside and safely released it, it slithered off into the bushes.

Also, has anyone here ever eaten snake meat? I have been told that some taste very good, such as copper heads and others.
Yeah, tastes like chicken. Anyway about 20 years ago I went to work and went down to the cafeteria to get some cream for my coffee and the cook told me to go checkout a cooler that was in the middle of floor. When I opened it up there was a pillow case when I opened it up much to my chagrin there was a 5ft long rattle snake. I've NEVER move faster in my life. It took every ounce of self control not to kick the you know what out of the cook who was laughing his *** off. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I used to catch snakes and play with them and/or keep them as pets. I always let them go after a while. I have had fun with them, too. When I was in the third grade I put one in my teacher's drawer. She was not impressed! Ha! Another time a friend of mine and I caught two 8 foot long Rat Snakes in the woods and they were wrapped all around us. We went to the baseball game at the local school and the stands were crowded and the fence was lined with people, too. We needed to see the game so we walked up to a guy at the fence, tapped him on the shoulder, and with snake head in hand we waved it in front of his eyes and asked him what time it was. In 5 seconds we were the only ones there. HaHa!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

A couple things come to mind, when thinking about snakes.
1. My Mom & I used to go to a place in NJ. called The Great Swamp. We went there on a fairly regular basis. I had a garter snake friend that I would see every time we went there. I was a little kid. I would pick it up, and he would hang out around my neck. I would always put him back, in the same spot where I found him. I LOVED that little snake!!

2. My Mom & I were hiking near my Uncles cabin, some where in PA. My saw a snake, and told me to pick it up, so I did. We walked around for a good 30-40 mins., then we go back to the cabin. We were standing at the dock, when this snake opened it's mouth, and I saw fangs. I got scared, and threw it in the water. It happily swam off. It turned out to be a Black Water Moccasin.

I still love snakes.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is another story from my youth. You always have to check the pockets of shorts and pants of little boys in the deep South. You never know what they will have in them and you do not want said stuff to go into the washing machine. One day, our maid was going through my pockets, reached her hand inside, and pulled out a snake. She let out a blood curdling scream and fell straight back in a faint. The neighbors rushed out of their homes and over to ours thinking some murderer was loose and causing mayhem in our house. What they found was an upset maid and a little harmless snake. HaHaHa!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The one good thing we got going for us here in the USA is the fact that we only have one snake that is classified as neurotoxic. That is the Coral Snake mostly found in Florida. However we do have some snakes that you wouldn't want to take a bite from. The Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake is one that immediately comes to mind.

The worst snake we have here in Missouri is the Western Cottonmouth which gives you a huge dose of venom. Also the Timber Rattlesnake is one you don't want to mess with either.

The Brothers in Australia can brag about having the 10 most toxic snakes on the planet :eek: I so dearly remember our late Brother Steve Irwin who I believe was the most unbelievable snake and reptile man I've ever seen in my life. And yes Australia does have their share of neurotoxic snakes.

Others that come to mind are the Black Mamba, King Cobra, Krait and Gaboon Viper :eek: If you're going to play with those guys you really better know what you're doing :rolleyes:
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

A while ago, couple of years taking pictures in the early spring. Nice cactus blooms, so I had to get close for the shot.

Then I realized what I was squatting over. Fortunately it was early morning after a cold night. God protects fools.....

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

If you were squatting over that no one would suck out the poison from the bite, let me tell you!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I don't mind snakes at all. Over the years, I've adopted a live and let live philosophy. They let me live, and I extend the same courtesy to them. Honestly, around here the only venomous snake we have to worry about is the Copperhead, and even then it's a very rare sight. People swear they've seen Cottonmouths and Water Moccasins, but they more than likely saw a Northern Water snake. I mostly run into Eastern King Snakes, Northern Water snakes, Black Rat snakes and Hognose. All are non-venomous, and for the most part, non-aggressive. I've only ever been bitten once, by a Black Rat snake, and it's because I was trying to move him while I was cutting grass.

More recently, I discovered one that got caught in a bunch of bird netting in our garage. I can only assume it was trying to shed its skin. It was wrapped up pretty tight, so I put on some gloves and started cutting it out. The snake wasn't too happy, and was hissing like a busted boiler at first, but then it seemed to calm down so I could finish cutting the netting from around it.I'd like to think I bought myself some goodwill among snake kind that day.

A couple of years ago, my wife got a shock when she went to spread some potting soil around the garden. The bag had been partially used before, so the top was cut open. Well, it seemed that it proved pretty inviting to a female snake at some point, because there were about a dozen hatched eggs sitting in the bag. I don't know kind of snake they were from, but I don't remember seeing a single mouse around here that winter.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Live & let live, hey ?
Wait till ya get drilled by a King Brown.
Then we see who lives & who does not.

We used to have a female English Bull Terrier, Tara, that could not abide any snake to live.
She would scent their track & hunt them down.
Amazing to see her trotting along & next thing go nose to the ground & detect the snakes direction of travel & off after it.
My wife would be screaming at her & I would be yelling at my wife to let her go & don't distract her or she could be killed.
Next thing you see is the white flash killing machine with a six or seven foot Brown snake & a mongoose Cobra thing going on.
The snake with a quarter of its length up off the ground & weaving menacingly, looking for the moment to strike.
In a flash the snake strikes at the dog that is at the same time springing straight up & as the snake misses its strike & is flat on the ground, the dog lands on it with both front feet. One foot on the head & the other a bit further down the body & the snakes neck in her Bull Terrier powerful jaws. The snake was then so violently whipped from side to side till it came apart.
All this in seconds with the snake looking like a complete amateur all the way.
Never did the snakes of any kind come close to being a threat to her. These being the ten most toxic snakes on the planet that brother JD mentioned.
Even big pythons were swiftly dispatched by her before they could throw one coil around her body.
The next ten minutes was spent by her going along the whole length of the snakes head & body, crunching every bone in it till it was a mashed, limp, form that could not even writhe on the ground like a fresh killed snake does. She did cats the same.
Then she would be smiling ear to ear, so to speak, only then happy to walk away.
My wife got bitten once. She was by herself down at the creek.
O.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Well, conditions are a bit different around here, with only 1 out of the dozen or so snake species in my area actually being venomous. We also don't have any pythons or boas, unless one got out of its cage. No, the snakes around here are more helpful than harmful, and I'll gladly allow them to continue gorging on the mice and rats.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
benben

Post by benben »

"The worst snake we have here in Missouri is the Western Cottonmouth which gives you a huge dose of venom. Also the Timber Rattlesnake is one you don't want to mess with either"

Hey JD, for long 3 days weekends we used to rent this cool cabin in Maggie Valley, NC. It's closed now but there used to be the coolest little zoo on the main highway there in Maggie. It was called the Soco zoo, and from the road you could never imagine all the cool and very exotic animals in there. Anyway they had this huge snake pit, it had the curved back railing all the way around, guessing it was probably 15' deep, it was really big. There easily had to be 100+ rattlesnakes and copperheads in there, but there was a big Rubbermaid trash can with a heavy rock on it turned upside down and someone asked the guy who was in the pit what was in there.....

Now this guy is all wired up talking through the speakers, he just smiled and walked over and turned the trash can on it's side, it was a 8' cottonmouth, or water moccasin depending on where you're from. Huge, big around as a motorcycle tire, he said if given enough time and left out in the open with all the other snakes that moccasin would kill each and every snake in that pit!! He also said that they're absolutely the most aggressive snake in North America!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

O,just,O wrote:Live & let live, hey ?
Wait till ya get drilled by a King Brown.
Then we see who lives & who does not.
My wife got bitten once. She was by herself down at the creek.
O.
Hey Brother "O" :) I was hoping one of you Australian guys would chime in. Hey I've heard of those King Brown snakes you spoke of>> I've also heard that if you don't get medical attention quickly then your chances of surviving are not good :( I used to watch your good Brother Steve Irwin show us your Austrailian snakes. One snake you have over there that truly puts fear into me is that "Taipan" :eek: The Taipan and the Tiger Snake both have a super toxic venom. Also I've heard that any of the black snakes over there are dangerous as well.

I think I remember Steve Irwin saying that the "Inland Taipan" was truly the most deadly snake on the planet :eek: I wonder why you guys down under have such a huge percentage of extremely venomous snakes??? I also remember Mark O'Shea's show on snakes in Australia was interesting as well. I hope to visit your most interesting country someday because it appears like a wildlife paradise down there.

Oh by the way what species of snake bit your wife??
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I've come across snakes, both non-venomous and venomous, in the U.S. and overseas. My opinion is they are an essential part of the environment and that it's best to just leave them alone and respect them.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I like & have the utmost respect for snakes. (And all wildlife for that matter.)
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

JD Spydo wrote: Oh by the way what species of snake bit your wife??
She was bitten by some black snake that swiftly disappeared under the boulders. He went unidentified.
Mad rush 90 kilometres to hospital.
Into intensive care on the machines that go beep.
They swabbed the bite & could not find poison but kept her under observation.
Apparently the snake did not inject venom into the bite. This often happens with a warning bite.
There was a doctor there from Ireland that asked if something could be done about the snakes in Australia like Saint Patrick did in Ireland back in the fifth century.
To this day we laugh.
O.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

When I was about 16 years old we went to a place called the Bluffs at the lake to swim. There was a sand bar just out from the bluffs (but away from the rope swing) and it was a popular hang out for teenagers. That day the water was up a bit so even on the sand bar the water was hip pocket deep. There were 60 or 70 teens in the water and on the bluffs. I took my black belt off and snaked it through the murky water and touched a girl on the leg with it. She looked down and when she saw it she let out a blood curdling scream, "Snake!" I was suddenly the only one in the water, laughing, and holding my belt. To this day I have no idea how they could climb those bluffs that fast! HaHaHa!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Snakes, sure, we have plenty at my place. But not for long once they are discovered. The venomous ones take a dirt nap the second I see them. My Taurus Judge loaded with .410 bird shot comes in very handy. My wife was bitten when she was 2 on this property. She could have lost her leg. My dog, Duke has been bitten 3 times, our cat once, and I finally felt the fangs last summer. Copperheads are no joke and I still haven't located the den.

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mrtodd777 wrote:Snakes, sure, we have plenty at my place. But not for long once they are discovered. The venomous ones take a dirt nap the second I see them. My Taurus Judge loaded with .410 bird shot comes in very handy. My wife was bitten when she was 2 on this property. She could have lost her leg. My dog, Duke has been bitten 3 times, our cat once, and I finally felt the fangs last summer. Copperheads are no joke and I still haven't located the den. ]Todd Crawford[/url], on Flickr
Well "Todd" we have a lot of "Copperheads" here in Missouri. The sub-species that we have is called the "Osage Copperhead" which are a lot darker in color than the one you just showed us. It is a very interesting fact that the Missouri Department Of Conservation documents>> because according to them there has not been one recorded death here in Missouri of anyone bitten by a Copperhead. That's really interesting from the standpoint that it is one of the most encountered and most feared snakes here in the "Show-Me" state :confused: .

A good friend of mine who lives in the Ozark Mountains here in Missouri tells me that he finds them in his chicken house very frequently in the summertime. However he said he hasn't lost even one bird because of them :confused: My guess is that they mainly feed on rodents for the most part. The two Copperheads I've encountered here in Missouri myself have both been in the water>> one time in a lake and one time in a stream. But they don't seem to be aggressive in the water like the Western Cottonmouth is.
BrandoSpoke

Post by BrandoSpoke »

Only time I ever see snakes is harmless garden snakes so it's all good
"If you talk all the time, you will never hear what anybody else has to say, and therefore, all you'll have to talk about is your own conversation."
-Alan Watts