DF2 blade play question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
attila

DF2 blade play question

Post by attila »

So, I recently purchased a ZDP DF2 and got a warranty replacement due to significant up/down blade/lock play that I could plainly feel when cutting cardboard.

I just received the new one in the mail yesterday, and much to my dismay, this one also has vertical blade/lock play through thick cardboard. The play is less than my previously returned one, but still unpleasant. My Endura, Delica, and Native have none, so I was expecting none on a replacement DF2. Charlynn said it was "within spec," but only just.

So my question is this: is vertical blade/lock movement common on DF2s through heavy cardboard? Are the pivot/lock tolerances just too loose?

Your wisdom is much appreciated!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
attila

Re: DF2 blade play question

Post by attila »

I forgot to include one other question: can blade/lock play be somehow fixed?

Thanks again!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I have two DF2s, and no blade play. But I do get some blade play on my Endura, because the pivot loosens over time and use. I'd tighten the pivot completely, then loosen until the knife can open easily enough for your taste, then see about any play.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
attila

Post by attila »

I already did that, but it feels like the pivot tolerance is just loose enough to be noticeable regardless of pivot screw tightness.

I just tried moving the blade perpendicular to the pivot axis (parallel to blade) with the blade extended and lock disengaged, and I definitely feel pivot tolerances allowing movement parallel to the blade. I wonder if it's an undersized pivot or oversized pivot hole in frn and/or blade. :(

Oh, and by "movement," I mean only a few thousandths; enough to be noticed but barely perceptible to the naked eye and definitely not unsafe.

ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I've seen Sal comment in another thread that every lockback designed for strength will have a minimal amount of vertical movement. I can feel it on every Spyderco lockback I've owned, though it's more obvious with some than with others.

I had a VG-10 DF2 that was really solid, but I could still perceive it if I put a lot of pressure on the lock. On the other hand, I've had several HAP40 DF2's and every one of them had obvious vertical play. So I'd say it's common.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

5 out of 11 of my Seki City back locks have a very slight amount of up and down play. 2 of my Dragonflys have it but it's nothing I've ever felt while actually using the knife. So it's not a big deal for me. From what I've read it's actually quite common. Tightening the pivot or lock bar doesn't seem to help. I have seen a thread on here or BF that shows how to peen the end of the lock bar to tighten things up. I assume this helps but I've never tried it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
araneae

Post by araneae »

If you are talking about the very minute amount of vertical movement that all of my 5 DFly 2's have, its the blade/lock bar interface moving in unison. That is normal and within spec on almost all Spyderco mid locks. I would not call it play, it's not the blade mating up sloppy to the lock, its the way its designed to work. A few thousandths as measured by your eye is really pretty **** tight for factory knives.

I am somewhat confused though as you mention play in both directions, so not sure what issue we are dealing with. Pivot tightening will have zero effect on vertical (up/down) movement, but will eliminate (side to side) horizontal movement.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
attila

Post by attila »

Araneae,

Yeah, I'm still working with the mk1 mechanic's eyeball ;) , so my measurement is an educated estimation.

The movement I was trying to describe was discovered as vertical movement with the lock engaged.

However, my subsequent "test" was with the knife open, lock disengaged, and pulling/pushing the blade and handle away/towards each other in parallel to the whole knife. It's hard to describe, sorry.

With these forces applied and the lock disengaged, it was a test of the pivot tolerances' tightness independent of the locking mechanism and interface. That's when I discovered noticeable pivot "slop" that I believe to be the root cause.

As I have been reassured, this is relatively common and not cause for concern. I figured as much, but was surprised at a new knife having such movement.

Again, thanks to everyone!

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have 3 Dragonflies, all have some up and down play, all did out of the box. I think it comes with the territory when dealing with small linerless back locks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Evil D wrote:I have 3 Dragonflies, all have some up and down play, all did out of the box. I think it comes with the territory when dealing with small linerless back locks.
It's certainly more prevalent in the linerless models. It was more noticeable on the Gen 1 and Gen 3 Delicas and Enduras than the current 4th gen models in my experience (and I've owned several of each).
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

I have one in ZDP-189 as well and zero vertical blade play and maybe 0.25mm to 0.30mm or so of horizontal blade play.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ASmitty wrote:
Evil D wrote:I have 3 Dragonflies, all have some up and down play, all did out of the box. I think it comes with the territory when dealing with small linerless back locks.
It's certainly more prevalent in the linerless models. It was more noticeable on the Gen 1 and Gen 3 Delicas and Enduras than the current 4th gen models in my experience (and I've owned several of each).

I think comparing a Delica pivot to a Dragonfly pivot is a bit of an unfair fight.
~David
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Evil D wrote:
ASmitty wrote:

I think comparing a Delica pivot to a Dragonfly pivot is a bit of an unfair fight.
I wasn't comparing the Delica to the Dragonfly. I was comparing old-linerless style Delicas and Enduras to the current linered Delica/Endura. I've found the type of play the OP was describing to be more prevalent in linerless FRN lockbacks than in their linered counterparts.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ASmitty wrote:
Evil D wrote:
ASmitty wrote:

I wasn't comparing the Delica to the Dragonfly. I was comparing old-linerless style Delicas and Enduras to the current linered Delica/Endura. I've found the type of play the OP was describing to be more prevalent in linerless FRN lockbacks than in their linered counterparts.
Ah, gotcha. We're on the same page :D
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

About half of my Japan lockbacks came with slight play out of the box, and the remainING half developed it after use. It used to bother me, but I've gotten used to it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For the record we aren't talking about lock bar lift are we?
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Okay that makes me feel better...I just got a brand new Dfly 2 salt, and noticed a little bit of up-and-down movement in the locked position. (Everything else about the knife is top-notch and rock solid)
I think too it's just an attribute of linerless back lock FRN knives. I have an AG Russell K93 featherweight that had the same characteristic.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

All of my backlocks have vertical play if enough force is made. 7 Delicas, 1 Native 5, 1 Dragonfly 2 Salt. ALL.
As already said I believe it's inherit to the design.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

All my Dflies have it, and I got over it real quick. To good of a knife design.
- best wishes, Jazz.