Wharncliffe on a cutting board?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Wharncliffe on a cutting board?

Post by Jazz »

I thought I'd put this in it's own thread because it could be for any wharnies or sheepsfoot blades. A quick vid of me comparing a Delica wharnie and regular bellied blade Delica.

https://youtu.be/2-3GTIJo1Gc
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Re: Wharncliffe on a cutting board?

Post by Evil D »

It's all about technique.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Yep. Like I say, I use chef knives myself. It's what I do for a living, but we have to use and enjoy our pocketknives.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Thank you for the video. I can see you did something like this before:)
I also enjoy using a folder in kitchen sometimes. Must admit I like the idea of wharncliffe Delica more and more over couple past weeks. Even I don't like the shape of the spine very much though. It can be regrind to my liking quite easily. I can see end up with one too:) Thank you for helping Spyderco to create an interesting, practical new kind of EDC knife.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

You could use an axe on a cutting board too.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Ok, I can give this video a pass since Jazz did pull out a proper chef knife and show his mad skillz. :)

Still not a bad showing for a tiny pocket knife. That Hap40 really cuts and would actually be pretty sweet on a chef knife.
Tim
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ABX2011 wrote:You could use an axe on a cutting board too.
Yes. You could use a hacksaw too. My point of the vid was because a lot of people think the flat blade shape is useless for food prep. I think most pocketknives are, for the most part, but it can be done. I don't want people to think they're getting a limited use knife with a wharnie. Since pocketknives are all shorter than a proper kitchen knife, you have to slice more than chop, so the straight edged and bellied edged are pretty equal on a board. See what I'm sayin'?
- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The problem I see, is having to drag the tip along the cutting board (I imagine it dulls the tip/front edge quickly doing that). The alternative to dragging the tip is having to get your knuckles on the cutting board (and you're still dragging the tip, just less). That problem has much more to do with the handle shape than the wharncliffe shape though. You need a handle that lets you get the whole edge flat so you can chop, push cut, and slice better in general.
sc2round.jpg

.....They are not ideal for food prep, but I was surprised in the other thread when you said you didn't like tantos, when you're holding the handle and main blade at a comfortable 45 degree angle, the tip of a tanto becomes parallel to the cutting surface and if you notice is a mini wharncliffe shape. :D
atanto2.jpg
atanto2.jpg (32.88 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
*BTW, I haven't been taking pictures but I have been using the LC200N native 5 for all my food prep, and as my table utensil as well exclusively for about a month now, works great, and LC200N takes a nice edge.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For the record the onions and cucumber I diced with my Yojombo 2 were chopped and didn't require dragging the tip.
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I understand your points. I cook for a living. I hate chef knives with not much knuckle room.

I also despise anything under 10", so I naturally don't think the Spydiechef would be so great. It's still a pocketknife - no disrespect intended. I don't get the short chef knife and Santoku trend. A longer blade makes effortless cutting, and you don't have to lift the knife at such a high angle for each cut.

Anyway, just showing the wharnie's not useless. I can cut food with whatever you give me, if it's sharp, but I don't have to like it. I honestly have never even considered buying the Spydiechef. These are just my opinions, of course.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like the control and precision of smaller knives. It's like those videos where you half a cantaloupe with the DFly, you don't need a big knife, and I feel like I have more control with the smaller ones. I have a big Ole heavy chef knife that just collects dust, more often than not I reach for the smallest knife I can use. As for pocket food knives, I love being able to use my native 5 for food prep. I don't know about you, but I prefer to use my own knives when I cook, most people don't keep their knives sharp enough my tastes, so when I'm visiting friends, it's very convenient to have my native 5 to use rather than searching for a sharp knife in someone elses kitchen.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I guess it really is what you're used to. I've been using 10" knives for 32 years, and sometimes 12" or more. I really dislike heavy ones. There are great 10" knives that are nicely balanced and fast.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Jazz wrote:I guess it really is what you're used to. I've been using 10" knives for 32 years, and sometimes 12" or more. I really dislike heavy ones. There are great 10" knives that are nicely balanced and fast.
I might use a larger chef knife if it was light weight. I don't cook professionally, but I am the chef in my family, and I've been cooking 20+ years. I took a couple pictures of an onion I chopped up at dinner with my normal food prep knife and my native 5.

z2.jpg
most of the time I only need a knife big enough to cut an onion.
z1.jpg
The combo edge on the native kept me from cutting perfect thin rings :( fail... but it dices pretty well :) .
z3.jpg
z4.jpg

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice. You know, I have that exact Japanese little knife. I used it years ago for a parer.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I use a 10 inch chef's knife for everything short of peeling potatoes.
~David
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Jazz wrote:Yep. Like I say, I use chef knives myself. It's what I do for a living, but we have to use and enjoy our pocketknives.
Hi Jazz - I prefer using chef knives in my home kitchen, but I'll often use a Spyderco folder for the fun of it. Just curious, among Spyderco folders that you own, do you have a favorite(s) for kitchen use?
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think that the highlight of a non wharny blade is that when you're cutting, if the part of the blade you keep using gets dull, all you have to do is raise or lower your hand and you will be cutting against a sharp edge. I'm not too sure what part of the edge a Wharnie gets the most cuts at.

When I carry a Wharnie, I feel like I'm cutting everything with the point. Have you ever cut up a steak "on a plate" (eek) with a Wharnie? The ceramic rubbing on the tip feels like 99% of my wear is flattening the tip. I always feel like if I properly apex it, I could end up having a crooked/angled edge.

Jazz, do you have a PPT?
Some people on the forums say they prefer a Santoku over a Chef's knife. The PPT is almost similar to a small Santoku.

I think the Spydiechef is made to work at a counter that height.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:I use a 10 inch chef's knife for everything short of peeling potatoes.
That's what I do too. There's not much that thing can't do.
Mako109 wrote: Hi Jazz - I prefer using chef knives in my home kitchen, but I'll often use a Spyderco folder for the fun of it. Just curious, among Spyderco folders that you own, do you have a favorite(s) for kitchen use?
Only peeling an orange or peeling ginger sometimes. Whatever I'm carrying at the time gets used. I don't want the pivots gunked up, and I don't like cooking at home, so I'm in a hurry. A chef knife is fast.
Donut wrote:Have you ever cut up a steak "on a plate" (eek) with a Wharnie?

Jazz, do you have a PPT?
Some people on the forums say they prefer a Santoku over a Chef's knife. The PPT is almost similar to a small Santoku.
I won't cut on ceramic with my pocketknives. That's evil.

No, I have no PPT.

I despise those stupid Santokus. Too short, light, and rudiculously shaped to be of any use when you're in a hurry, unless chopping mushrooms, but I'm still better with a chef knife. I'm quite opinionated here, but I've tried various knives.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like my chef knives to have a good point on them. an lc200N/H1 yojimbo could be fun in the kitchen.

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'll try and remember to take a pic of my work dynamic duo.
- best wishes, Jazz.