Tanto?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Able Dog

Re: Tanto?

Post by Able Dog »

I love the looks of some tantos, especially one's with a gently curved kissaki (tip). I don't care much for the exaggerated straight tip tantos.

I also don't find them particularly "better" than any other blade shape. However, I would like to see a pronounced tanto added to the catalog simply to add something to my collection for Tanto Tuesday.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
AMarkAbove

Post by AMarkAbove »

Evil D wrote:Not quite a tanto but I would be VERY interested in a Razel type blade. It would cut much like a wharnie but also offer an additional edge at the tip.
This. Yes.
~Andrew
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Able Dog wrote:I would like to see a pronounced tanto added to the catalog simply to add something to my collection for Tanto Tuesday.
Lulz :rolleyes:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Able Dog wrote:I would like to see a pronounced tanto added to the catalog simply to add something to my collection for Tanto Tuesday.
Lulz :rolleyes:
:D That is about the extent of my interest in tantos lol.

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

At some point, isn't a tanto just a two piece drop point? The lion spy style blade, for example
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

GarageBoy wrote:At some point, isn't a tanto just a two piece drop point? The lion spy style blade, for example
It would approach that level of belly, so similar outside dimensions maybe. Just needs a separate bevel for the tip.

This is a good representation of different tip designs.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sal, any one of those would satisfy me. ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I can't think of a single thing a tanto would be good for. What a waste of metal, in my opinion. Yes, I have one. It doesn't get used at all.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

well I agree in the sense that I use the tip more than anything else (you can tell by my sharpening in the pics in my earlier posts). I've always found tantos useful, from opening boxes to cutting drywall, I suppose it depends on how you like to cut things, when I was opening boxes everyday at work I appreciated the ergonomics of having a cutting surface that isn't parallel to the handle.
...I guess I'm not a fan of knuckle dragging.

Try push cutting and draw cutting paracord on a flat surface in the standard grip and you might see what I mean.
xx1.jpg
xx2.jpg
xx3.jpg
xx4.jpg
xx5.jpg
See what I mean? No knuckle dragging with tanto.
A small frn 2.5 inch tanto for edc would be awesome.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
kurt6652

Post by kurt6652 »

Yoh should try the vrango.

ZrowsN1s wrote:well I agree in the sense that I use the tip more than anything else (you can tell by my sharpening in the pics in my earlier posts). I've always found tantos useful, from opening boxes to cutting drywall, I suppose it depends on how you like to cut things, when I was opening boxes everyday at work I appreciated the ergonomics of having a cutting surface that isn't parallel to the handle.
...I guess I'm not a fan of knuckle dragging.

Try push cutting and draw cutting paracord on a flat surface in the standard grip and you might see what I mean.
xx1.jpg
xx2.jpg
xx3.jpg
xx4.jpg
xx5.jpg
See what I mean? No knuckle dragging with tanto.
A small frn 2.5 inch tanto for edc would be awesome.
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

I only have one tanto and that is a benchmade mini grip, works great for opening boxes. And thinking back, you are right I dont really recall many Spyderco knives being offered with a tanto blade. That's ok though, I love the leaf blade shape that Spyderco is known for, works great for most applications.
:spyder:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

kurt6652 wrote:Yoh should try the vrango.

ZrowsN1s wrote: A small frn 2.5 inch tanto for edc would be awesome.
Not a bad idea, they have come down in price a bit.

Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I really like the Spyderco tanto designs but would love to see some more user models with tanto blades.
I think an FRN version of the Lum folder (possibly also in H1?) would be a great hard use affordable user knife. Something like an Endura or Pacific Salt with tanto style ground blade would also be a very cool knife for hard use that would also look the part..

Possibly too many "hard use knife"/ tanto fans are into more tactical blades and aren't the biggest Spyderco fans as well as the other way around but I can imagine that these type of designs could work well commercially and make for some great working blades.
(I've also hardly used my Spydie tanto's since they are so beautiful and rare..)

And yes a Lum tanto with compression lock would be very cool! :D
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I get more control cutting tape and boxes with a wharncliffe than with a tanto. The wharnie's slim tip is easier to slip into tight spots than the more robust tanto tip, and the more aggressive cutting angle keeps the edge engaged in the work with minimal effort. I'm loving my Jazz Delica.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Joris Mo wrote:I really like the Spyderco tanto designs but would love to see some more user models with tanto blades.
I think an FRN version of the Lum folder (possibly also in H1?) would be a great hard use affordable user knife. Something like an Endura or Pacific Salt with tanto style ground blade would also be a very cool knife for hard use that would also look the part..

Possibly too many "hard use knife"/ tanto fans are into more tactical blades and aren't the biggest Spyderco fans as well as the other way around but I can imagine that these type of designs could work well commercially and make for some great working blades.
(I've also hardly used my Spydie tanto's since they are so beautiful and rare..)

And yes a Lum tanto with compression lock would be very cool! :D
An Light Weight FRN Lum Tanto with a compression or backlock would be ideal. I've got enough heavy blades with liner locks.

hendersonrobert

Post by hendersonrobert »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I was realizing there aren't many tanto spydercos. What are the forums thoughts on tantos? Would you like more of these or was the Lum enough?
Talking about american tantos, I never was a fan of this type of blade. Didn't even decided for myself if such knives are worth having.
On the other hand, I'd like to see a folding version of a traditional tanto. That would be a pretty interesting knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been wondering what either a Lil Temperance model or maybe even a Manix model would be like with a shortened, modified Tanto point? Those are some interesting Tanto point designs you put up there "Able Dog" ;)

Although I'm extremely partial to the Bob Lum Tanto design and it would have to be one super innovative Tanto design that would make me want to go with anything else at this point>> with that said I still would like to see what they could come up with something like I suggested.

Another thing about Tanto designs I would like to know what the Japanese had intended that design for? I would have to say that the original design I'm sure would be self defense. But I'm sure there are some practical uses as well.
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

Tanto blades aren't my cup of tea. Some of them look absolutly beautiful, some are just downright ugly and gimmicky. Most of them are less useful. That being said, done right, I think that it's a valid blade shape, and again done really well, a couple spyderco models with a tanto would sell quite well.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

JD Spydo wrote:Another thing about Tanto designs I would like to know what the Japanese had intended that design for? I would have to say that the original design I'm sure would be self defense. But I'm sure there are some practical uses as well.
I'll TRY to give you a brief summary ;) . The tanto design started around 900 AD in the Heian Period in Japan. They were carried by the Samurai class of fuedal Japan. It was designed as a dagger 6-12 inches long and it was usually carried in addition to a Tachi (a 28"-31" sword). It's primary purpose was as a self defense weapon intended for stabbing. For strength, the blade had a generally flat uniform thickness for the full length and some (called yoroi toshi) were made with especially thick cross-sections for armor piercing duty. Unlike many of the "tactical tanto" designs we see today that use a "chisel point" tip (creating 2 effective tips), the original Japanese tantos always had a curved belly leading to the kissaki (tip).

There were many styles and designs and nearly all were intended for stabbing and sometimes slashing. The chisel tip that we call the "american tanto" tip today was not used in early tantos at all. Much later, the "chisel point" kissaki was created in Japan and American blade smiths used it so much that it became known as the "american tanto" tip although that reference is misleading.

Other than simply being easier to grind, the chisel tip is also a very effective shape for stabbing and slashing. However due to the shape, the tip itself can be more inclined to breaking due to the "pointier" and more acute tip, depending on the length of the kissaki. The chisel design is said to be good for "slash once, cut twice"...which means that in a slashing motion the lower of the 2 "tips" begins the cut and the end tip extends the depth of the cut. However, there isn't much evidence to suggest that the chisel tip cuts any deeper than traditional Japanese kissaki designs as there are many other factors that affect that result.

As for utility...a sharp knife will cut lots of stuff :p . Every individual knife shape exists to be especially good for (usually) one specific purpose or type of cut. If stabbing and being able to puncture tough materials/substrates without breaking the knife is the main priority the "tanto" design was created to do the job exceptionally well. It will also do yard chores and open boxes or whatever else, but of course there are knives that were made specifically for those purposes that will be better suited to those tasks.

I suppose I could have accurately (and concisely) answered your question with simply "they were intended for stabbing". Sorry for the long boring explanation. :o :)

Best regards,

Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Good answer Chad.