Experiences with detent wear?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Experiences with detent wear?

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:Just one more thing to dislike about the ubiquitous liner/frame locks.

Ditto!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

My Nirvana's detent ball is showing wear. It still snaps open pretty well, but I can drop-test the blade open when I couldn't before.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
AMarkAbove

Post by AMarkAbove »

Something I've noticed on my Domino, or at least I think I've noticed, is that the detent ball is on the steel lock bar insert, which is technically replaceable. Is this a common practice? It seems like because the lock bar is serviceable then the detent ball should be as well, right?
~Andrew
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I have a mantra at spyderco right now for this issue. It was worn down significantly and wouldn't hold the blade in whatsoever. But I opened it to identify why the bearings felt terrible so I'm not sure they'll do anything to fix it.

Yes, the detent balls are too soft and they should use ceramic. Cutting a ramp into the tang for the detent ball to guide on would help several of the issues. Finishing the flats to a smoother plane where the detent ball rides would also alleviate some of the problems. Or ceramic balls.

This is all just offering constructive criticism. Not bashing spyderco. The little things like this are why people are turning more and more to Chinese makers. Most fairly reputable knife makers in China have figured some of this stuff out and have already implemented them without having a whole bunch of failing products out there causing a stir.

A lot of the companies we have known for decades are getting left behind because they can't seem to keep up with the little things like if you make a flipper it needs to be smooth when opening and closing the blade, if you have a detent ball it needs to not wear down and create subpar action, if you have an internal stop pin the edges need to be rounded to keep from cracking the blade due to stress risers, people don't like feeling the detent ball catching the tang every time you go to close the knife, people like to open their knives and look inside, etc. These are bases being covered by certain companies and they're nailing them and are quickly gaining traction while other companies who refuse to accept them as a reality are going to start falling behind rapidly. Just look at what's going on with several companies that used to have GIANT followings with stellar reputations. Now a lot of people barely look twice at what they offer because they won't or can't get the basics right and enough people feel their money should be spent elsewhere for better action, better warranties, etc for competitive prices.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

Jazz wrote:Just one more thing to dislike about the ubiquitous liner/frame locks.
I think I agree with this.
When the knife bug first bit, I was prejudiced against what I figured were "boring" locks and steels. I suspect many of us were. Maybe those of you whose interest predates all these snazzy new features--the Buck generation, if you will--might not have fallen into this line of thinking in the way some of us younger enthusiasts are more prone to do.

My love for my Dragonfly and Caly3.5 has crept up on me steadily. Neither have given me any reason to doubt they could be used until the blade is sharpened to the end of its usable life. Though I covet and enjoy lots of spydies with the wizz-bang features, I cannot say they all offer the same sense of security. I hate to think of these pieces as having a looming shelf-life. There's definitely a psychological component in expecting to have a piece around in five or ten years time.

Has there been much news about incorporating the backlocks of the Native 5 or Chaparral into other spydies? The Chap's internal stop pin seems like a particularly nice addition.
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

I put a (tiny) drop of oil on my detent balls every now and then.
This does wonders for smoothness of knives in my experience.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm an older lockback carrier, but I like new things. I've carried Benchmades in the past, all with axis locks, but I've never felt any confidence in liner locks, either in wearing out or slipping and coming unlocked.
- best wishes, Jazz.
BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

Just reporting in at the four month mark post ceramic bearing swap. Did notice some minimal smoothing of the edge of the detent hole and tang upon observation about two weeks after the swap--No visible progression in wear since. Action is markedly smoother than it ever was on steel, detent is still strong and snappy.
I'm pleased with the results so far, and would consider doing the same on other models if needed. Will report if something ever fails.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Agreed. It is a long list, isn't it?

A weak detent is obviously bad, but a ridiculously strong detent resulted in a nasty cut for me a couple years ago, and nearly again just the other day with a PM2. I can't tell you how much I hate thumb-cutters, though.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Also if only more models are without the release cutout (GB vs Military). I might have more confidence in them (maybe).

From a lockback lover :cool:
Chris :spyder: