Aqua Salt plain edge or spyderedge ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Aqua Salt plain edge or spyderedge ?

Post by elena86 »

I decided to purchase the Aqua Salt but I can't decide between PE and SE.I have extenisve experience with H1 steel(both using and sharpening) so I know that H1 shines in SE but I can't see the benefits of the spyderedge in such a large fixed blade for my uses.I intend to use it for outdoor activities in different environments so I need some advice here from those who own and use the Aqua Salt but not only.Thanx

Marius
twinboysdad

Re: Aqua Salt plain edge or spyderedge ?

Post by twinboysdad »

SE. I bought the PE for my dad and that is one thick edge. Add to that how mediocre H1 PE is at edge holding and there is only one option
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I have both and if you plan to use it get the SE. H1 is so much better in SE. In PE it is easy to sharpen but loses it's edge very quickly.

I did carry a Pacific Salt in PE for a while but it went dull so quick, I moved on. I have it as a back up knife in my day pack in case I loose the knife I am carrying.
me2

Post by me2 »

For general outdoor use, I'd go plain edge. Drop the edge angle down and finish with a coarser stone like a Norton medium or even coarse India stone. One of the reasons the serrated H1 blades do so well is the sharpened angle is about half the typical edge angle range. My serrated Salt 1 was 14 degrees total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

PE. Works better. Most outdoors cutting tasks aren't that abrasive unless you're using it to process game. PE with the angle taken down so its more comparable to the SE angle, it'll cut like a champ. Much easier to sharpen in the field, works better for carving traps, works better for field dressing etc. PE all the way. Carry a sheet of sandpaper or a Spyderco pocket stone and edge holding stops being a concern. My reprofiled H1 knives take an incredibly mean, hair whittling sharp edge.