Tanto?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Tanto?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I was realizing there aren't many tanto spydercos. What are the forums thoughts on tantos? Would you like more of these or was the Lum enough?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sirens1

Re: Tanto?

Post by Sirens1 »

I personally, love tantos and would like to see more. I truly appreciate a traditional tanto over a bastardized western version, but would like to see some more of either in the future.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I prefer the lum style tanto or a Japanese style tanto. I'm not a huge tanto fan so i don't really buy many. If spyderco would do another run of fixed lum tantos with at least a 7-8" blade I'd probably buy one or if they did one with stag handles. Saw a beautiful lum custom with stag handles but it wasn't for sale and definitely out of my price range.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I have the Lum Tanto folder and it's a fine example of the breed.

I have owned a number of 'other brand' tanto folders (CS, Emerson, CRKT and Colt)- And the tanto-ish Spyderco Double Bevel- Despite being a possibly rabid collector, I own none of these now

The robust piercing tip of the tanto style is great for heavy woven sacking, but the overall blade shape (and the handle shape that it requires) don't seem to do the job for most other tasks as well as other blade shapes. ....For me, that upswept point and straight edge on so short a blade really doesn't work- especially in a chisel ground but double with a combo edge!. (Your mileage may vary, of course)

Plus, that change of angle at the front does my head in to sharpen properly without rounding it ;)

If I'm going with a straight edge folder, it's going to be a Wharncliffe where the point is actually useful for fine work- indeed, my Y02 is one of my favourite large carry knives- the 'tactical box cutter' seems far more usable in every regard.

Now-I've not sampled the fixed blade Spydie tanto- despite it looking very sexy indeed....I only own a CS Kobun of that 'type' and while it's a fine and dandy example, again I find that a more traditional 'Kabar' style of blade works better for the type of work I deploy a fixed blade on.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

While I agree that the tanto blade shape isn't as useful as many of the other blade shapes out there, having it almost completely missing from Spyderco's lineup does seem a bit strange considering they have so many options on everything else. Lock types, sizes, steels, handle materials, even blade shapes.

I've read Sal saying that they don't sell well typically. That must be true and makes sense considering the typical Spyderco fan puts cutting ability above all else. But with much of Spyderco's new lineup focused on high end "collectible" type knives I can't help but think a fancy new folding tanto would do well. Surely there has to be room in the product line for at least one!

Bob Lum tanto with comp lock please!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I was realizing there aren't many tanto spydercos. What are the forums thoughts on tantos? Would you like more of these or was the Lum enough?
To me the Bob Lum C-46 Tanto was truly the "creme-de-le-creme" of tanto designs. Mr. Lum's great design actually made his tanto extremely functional. The C-46 folder along with that gorgeous fixed blade version were both very functional tanto designs IMO.

I actually EDC my C-46 Lum Tanto folder about two days a month or so. Sharpening the Lum Tanto is a bit time consuming but it's a great lesson and excellent freehand practice for those who want to take their sharpening skills to the next level.

The C-46 Lum with the Titanium handle/scales was a great blade/handle combo. It's a shame that titanium is so costly and hard to work with because that's one Spyderco model that really benefited from a Titanium handle.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I do a lot of cutting with the tip of my blades so in general I'm not a big fan of any blade with an upswept tip. Another issue I have with most tantos is how the tip gets thicker, which makes reprofiling a bit of a headache since the bevel gets super wide at the tip.

I loved my Vallotton but the bevel on this knife took years off my life.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Bob Lum tanto with comp lock please!
I'm all over that.
There is a difference between most double chisel edges that are passed for tantos and a true tanto. I see the lum in the second category. I think this design or an homage to lum would be in a different category but in the end it comes down to sales. Lum tantos are still going strong on secondary markets.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I have a couple of tanto blades that I like but in general they're not as good for everyday cutting use as other blade shapes. If you want to be able to puncture tough materials they're great...but I can't think of a time I really needed that from my knife. The design makes a lot of sense on military style tactical fighting fixed blades, but less sense on a folder. Fixed blades also don't sell well. The only thing that attracts me to the idea is the fact that the design is nearly absent from the Spyderco line and I would add them to my collection, for collection sake. If anyone knows how well knife designs sell it would be Sal. If he says they don't sell well I believe him.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks for the responses all. I'm all about spyderco and the wharncliffe these days myself too, but before that I was very into tanto shaped blades, and wondered why Spyderco didn't make more.
atanto8.jpg
atanto7.jpg

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've found in my use that there are a few things the tanto does very well.

1. Box opening. The tanto point works like an x-acto knife/ box cutter. It allows you to get more cutting surface touching the box without cutting deeply into the box (and whats in the box) than if you were using a traditional rounded point or straight wharncliffe, also note that you don't have to drag your knuckles along the box to engage the cutting edge.
atanto3.jpg
atanto2.jpg
atanto6.jpg
2. Sliding the spine of the blade under something (rope, string, ziptie, ect.) and cutting it.
atanto5.jpg
3. Fine tip work.
atanto4.jpg
*srry for the double post but you can only fit so many pictures in*

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I've found in my use that there are a few things the tanto does very well.

1. Box opening. The tanto point works like an x-acto knife/ box cutter. It allows you to get more cutting surface touching the box without cutting deeply into the box (and whats in the box) than if you were using a traditional rounded point or straight wharncliffe, also note that you don't have to drag your knuckles along the box to engage the cutting edge.

2. Sliding the spine of the blade under something (rope, string, ziptie, ect.) and cutting it.
atanto5.jpg
I'd argue a hawkbill or reverse S does either of those jobs equally as well (Or from my perspective, a serrated hawkbill do it rather better :) )
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

demoncase wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:I've found in my use that there are a few things the tanto does very well.

atanto5.jpg
I'd argue a hawkbill or reverse S does either of those jobs equally as well (Or from my perspective, a serrated hawkbill do it rather better :) )
Yeah but doesn't look as cool. ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Xplorer wrote:I have a couple of tanto blades that I like but in general they're not as good for everyday cutting use as other blade shapes. If you want to be able to puncture tough materials they're great...but I can't think of a time I really needed that from my knife. The design makes a lot of sense on military style tactical fighting fixed blades, but less sense on a folder. Fixed blades also don't sell well. The only thing that attracts me to the idea is the fact that the design is nearly absent from the Spyderco line and I would add them to my collection, for collection sake. If anyone knows how well knife designs sell it would be Sal. If he says they don't sell well I believe him.
The only other Tanto blade design that I even sort of liked was when I was into COLD STEEL's stuff back around 10 to 12 years ago. I had one of their "Kobun" models and it wasn't bad to work with at all. But when I got my first Spyderco C-46 Lum Tanto folder I never looked back. Oh now I wouldn't mind having another KOBUN in some exotic supersteel.

But truly Bob Lum's tanto design is just way more functional than any other I've ever owned and/or used. Any of Bob Lum's Tanto designs with a Supersteel blade, G-10 or Titanium handle>> I'm in all the way :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not quite a tanto but I would be VERY interested in a Razel type blade. It would cut much like a wharnie but also offer an additional edge at the tip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

JD Spydo wrote:...The only other Tanto blade design that I even sort of liked was when I was into COLD STEEL's stuff back around 10 to 12 years ago. I had one of their "Kobun" models...
That Kobun is a really good example of a tactical fighting knife where the Tanto blade is best suited. Especially with it's Japanese style handle. If you like the Kobun you'd probably enjoy checking out knives made by Ben Tendick at BRT Bladeworks. He's making some awesome Japanese inspired fighters. Ben's knives are some of the most beautifully done Tanto blades I've seen. The 7" and 9" Ronin Tantos, the Shinobi 12" Tanto, and the Inazuma Tanto are some of my favorites.
http://www.brtbladeworks.com/gallery.html
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

demoncase wrote:

atanto5.jpg
can't argue there. I love my hawkbills. still hoping for a resurrection of the Superhawk.

spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I'm all over tantos, been my favorite blade shape for years. This is why Emerson and Microtech have been getting a lot of my money lately too lol. But don't worry I'll never leave you spyderco :D I would really like to see some more tantos in spydercos line up though!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

demoncase wrote:

atanto5.jpg
I'd argue that you can do any of those jobs noted equally as well with that Delica blade.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's not that I can't open a box with a delica (I carry one often), but look at my pictures of the tanto point and the delica point resting on the spyderco catalog, notice that just the tip of the delica is touching, I have to hold the delica at about a 10 degree angle realative to the cover of the catalog, and I can't lower my hand any closer to get more of the cutting surface touching 'flat' with the cover.

Because a tanto point sits at about 35-45 degree angle relative to the spine and more importantly the handle of the knife, you can get the whole 1/2 inch edge of the tanto point 'flat' with full pressure against what ever you are cutting while keeping the knife at a comfortable 35-45 degree angle relative to what you are cutting. I think the delica is much better all around, but tanto is more suited to cutting tape and opening boxes.

My knuckles are touching the cover.
atanto6.jpg
My knuckles are an an inch and a half away from the cover.
atanto2.jpg