I'm reticent to buy a knife made in Taiwan.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Re: I'm reticent to buy a knife made in Taiwan.

Post by bh49 »

I used to own 6 Taichung made knives at various time. The quality is top notch. Just recently I bought Hungarian. F&F are outstanding. At least on the same level with current Golden and Italy production as well as old time Moki.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
zacmangray

Post by zacmangray »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
zacmangray wrote:^^^ Haha, oh I always seem to find a good laugh on the forum someplace.
I assume you were referring to the "Everybody Taichung Tonight" joke on the first page, and not to my comment. ;)
Haha yes I am referring to everybody Taichung tonight. When I post that I thought I was right behind spydergirl88 and Doc Dan. I guess it didn't submit until later. Weird
:spyder: LWManix2s110v,MuleTeamCPM4V,Dragonfly,
DLCorangePM2XHP,PurpleDragonfly,PurpleDelica,BBCEDelica,Caly3,BBManix2,DBs110vManix2 :spyder:
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The us has some of the best manufacturing in the world. Much has been moved to aerospace and other such fields. The skills in the us are not the question, it's the cost of those skills. The golden models are nice but a little more bare bones. Those Taiwan knives are really something. You should give them a try.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SF Native wrote: The skills in the us are not the question, it's the cost of those skills.
I just want to make it clear. Taichung made knives are not inexpensive.
SF Native wrote: The golden models are nice but a little more bare bones.
I love this definition.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Regardless of where it's produced, the final QC happens in Golden so they're all held to the same standard. If it's not up to snuff, even successful models like the caly will be disco'd. Buy Taichung with confidence as it's backed by Golden W&R
AMarkAbove

Post by AMarkAbove »

Taichung knives are, as everyone else has said, some of the best Spyderco produces. Also, odds are high you aren't buying directly from Spyderco but using some retailer, in which case your dollars are going into the US economy anyways(assuming you're using a US based retailer).
~Andrew
animportant

Post by animportant »

There needs to be a sticky on this forum about Taichung Spydies.
carl3989

Post by carl3989 »

Thanks all for showing me the error of my thoughts. I am going to seriously consider purchasing a Gayle Bradley in the future. What's the recommendation, the more costly Bradley or the Bradley2?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

carl3989 wrote:Thanks all for showing me the error of my thoughts. I am going to seriously consider purchasing a Gayle Bradley in the future. What's the recommendation, the more costly Bradley or the Bradley2?
You could not have chosen a better value from Taichung! The Bradley 2 is the the knife that I think is the best value in my entire Spyderco collection. When I look at what a great knife it is and what I paid for it, I feel like I stole it. That is also my go-to pocket knife for my wilderness adventures because I know it will handle anything I need it for.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Bradley 2
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I own both and while many will try and convince you to pick up the GB1, I personally think that the GB2 is superior. At that price, its one of the best values of any production knife made. I wold strongly recommend grabbing one.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

carl3989 wrote:Thanks all for showing me the error of my thoughts. I am going to seriously consider purchasing a Gayle Bradley in the future. What's the recommendation, the more costly Bradley or the Bradley2?
Depends on what you need to do with it (there is significant overlap in capabilities). The original GB is more 'hard-use' and heftier in weight and width. The GB2 is more everyday carry.

Something to consider is that the GB is discontinued and will be increasingly more difficult to find, while the GB2 is in production right now.

Personally, I would (and did) pick the GB2. I don't even like big knives and I still went with this one because the value is so high and the design is so very nice.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

+GB2. Also another very well executed line of Taiwanese made Spydercos is the Sage series, particularly the carbon fiber varieties and the titanium version. While I don't know if these are also made in the city of Taichung, they are every bit as good.

Then to complete your Taiwanese indoctrination, find the nearest "Din Tai Fung" restaurant in the US (or where ever you are). That's the internationally famous Chinese restaurant chain from Taiwan, and order their Pork and Black Truffle Soup Dumplings. They are to die for as attested to by Anthony Bourdain, Tom Cruise, etc. Listen to me now and thank me later.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mako109 wrote:+GB2. Also another very well executed line of Taiwanese made Spydercos is the Sage series, particularly the carbon fiber varieties and the titanium version. While I don't know if these are also made in the city of Taichung, they are every bit as good.
Yes, the Sage series are all made in Taichung.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Carl,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

I just got the Spydiechef which is made in Taiwan (also have the Bradley and Bradley 2 which are both made in Taiwan). These 3 are very nice knives, great quality and materials used. I'm usually a little cautious about knives made in China (from brand to brand), but the Spyderco's made in Japan and Taiwan that I've seen/own are really nice. And to be honest, the Spyderco knives I've seen from China (like the Tenacious) are really nice, great value knives. Was surprised how much I like them.
:spyder:
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

We are glad to set you straight as we all have been in the past. Welcome aboard. If you get one, please share with us when you do.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I could go on and on about this, but the answer is rather simple. Taichung Spydies have better materials, fit and finish and overal quality IMO.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
nick800

Post by nick800 »

GB1 is my favorite Spyderco.

Din Tai Fung is the Taiwan version of White Castle (and eat there every time I go to Asia, which is a lot.)
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

bh49 wrote:
SF Native wrote: The skills in the us are not the question, it's the cost of those skills.
I just want to make it clear. Taichung made knives are not inexpensive.
SF Native wrote: The golden models are nice but a little more bare bones.
I love this definition.
I think that's a bit of a generality. You can get several Taichung models under $150 (BHQ prices): Squarehead, Dog Tag, Chaparral, Sage 1, Sage 3, Sage 5, GB2, Puukko. If you define "inexpensive" as <$100 you have a point. But it's also correct that the Golden, and Japanese LW, models are more basic than most Taichung knives. Spyderco definitely seems to use the Taichung OEM as their premium facility. But considering how good some of those models are I don't think <$150 is outrageous.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2