New to Spyderco! Help me pick one

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MysteryNotes

Re: New to Spyderco! Help me pick one

Post by MysteryNotes »

awa54 wrote:First off, if you like heft in an easy to control non-scary pocket knife I'd say get a G10 Dragonfly 2, it sort of sums up a number of the features you are interested in. That and the feeling of solidity comes at a fairly low total weight, so it isn't a pocket buster and the mid lock design is very unlikely to open in a pocket. As far as serration for wires, that may work well if you just want to rip through thin wire, but precision cuts on insulation and clean cuts of thin copper wire are best done with a plain edge (or wire cutters/strippers!), I did car and in-home audio installation in my previous career and I have tried both types of edge for that application.

I worked in consumer audio for twenty years, what sort of audio work do you do?
I work in pro-audio, mainly installations for schools, bars, clubs, malls and a number of government buildings.

As for the Dragonfly 2 G10, I managed to find it on a local retailer's site.It looks promising, will go down and see if I like it, thank you for the suggestion!
(I like to try out knives in person before purchasing)

@Spyder - I have looked at the salt, but the blade shape(not quite pointy enough) puts me off a little, as does the bright yellow handle color. I am aware there is a black FRN version, but as far as I know, all of them have a black coated blade(which collects scuffs and scratches easily!)
I watched a video on youtube and all the review models apparently either came with scuffs/scratches on the blade finish, or were collecting scratches at a rather alarming rate.
While I don't expect a work-knife to remain unblemished, scratches on a black-coated blade like that are rather more visible than those on a plain steel blade, I would think.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've spent a lot of time in a recording studio running cables and setting up mics, what would be ideal is a plain edge hawkbill knife about the size of a dragonfly. That would be perfect for wiggling in between a bundle of cables hooking the zip tie and pull cutting it without cutting yourself or the other cables, as well as being handy for ropes, duct tape, ect... Unfortunately Spyderco doesn't make one yet. A good alternative is the ZDP-189 delica, I can't say enough nice things about that steel (you do have to watch for corrosion). If you like a little more corrosion resistance the VG-10 Wharncliffe Delica is probably what I'd go with. You may also consider a PE Tasman salt only draw back is edge retention. And I suppose I should mention the hawkbill ladybug salt though it's probably too small for edc.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MysteryNotes

Post by MysteryNotes »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I've spent a lot of time in a recording studio running cables and setting up mics, what would be ideal is a plain edge hawkbill knife about the size of a dragonfly. That would be perfect for wiggling in between a bundle of cables hooking the zip tie and pull cutting it without cutting yourself or the other cables, as well as being handy for ropes, duct tape, ect... Unfortunately Spyderco doesn't make one yet. A good alternative is the ZDP-189 delica, I can't say enough nice things about that steel (you do have to watch for corrosion). If you like a little more corrosion resistance the VG-10 Wharncliffe Delica is probably what I'd go with. You may also consider a PE Tasman salt only draw back is edge retention. And I suppose I should mention the hawkbill ladybug salt though it's probably too small for edc.

Aye, a PE hawkbill sounds nice!
As for the delica, I checked with my local dealers and all of them have replied back that they weren't ordering them in :(
Seems they all only ordered the Para3.
Maybe I can convince one of em to order in a piece for me. Heh.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I've spent a lot of time in a recording studio running cables and setting up mics, what would be ideal is a plain edge hawkbill knife about the size of a dragonfly. That would be perfect for wiggling in between a bundle of cables hooking the zip tie and pull cutting it without cutting yourself or the other cables, as well as being handy for ropes, duct tape, ect... Unfortunately Spyderco doesn't make one yet. A good alternative is the ZDP-189 delica, I can't say enough nice things about that steel (you do have to watch for corrosion). If you like a little more corrosion resistance the VG-10 Wharncliffe Delica is probably what I'd go with. You may also consider a PE Tasman salt only draw back is edge retention. And I suppose I should mention the hawkbill ladybug salt though it's probably too small for edc.
Sounds like a Kiwi 4 might fit that bill as well, they're still available and at least in the US are on sale, though though straight retail is a bit steep IMO.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If you can get a para 3 you'd probably really like it. Compression locks are the best.

kiwi 4 is actually not a bad idea very useful blade shape. I've seen them for $140 or so, not sure what they'd charge to ship over seas.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
AMarkAbove

Post by AMarkAbove »

As a fellow pro audio guy, my Delica gets the bulk of my work oriented pocket time. But I've been carrying my new Domino(the big brother version of the Dice) exclusively for the past week and it's held up remarkably well. I actually feel more comfortable cutting zip ties with due to the slightly thicker blade stock. I would also strongly look at a Para 3 or even PM3 for the same reason. I'm also anxiously awaiting a Wharncliff Delica.
~Andrew
awa54

Post by awa54 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:If you can get a para 3 you'd probably really like it. Compression locks are the best.

kiwi 4 is actually not a bad idea very useful blade shape. I've seen them for $140 or so, not sure what they'd charge to ship over seas.
Going rate for the Kiwi 4 is now $90 +/- a few bucks here in the US, since it's discontinued.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

really? might have to pick one up.

anagarika

Post by anagarika »

One more note:
If one looks at Victorinox Electrician, there's a distinctive wharncliffe blade. So there it goes ;)
Chris :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It was my impression that knives of any kind were illegal to carry in Singapore. Is that not the case?

Anyway, you can order from knifeworks.com or knifecenter.com and they will ship it to you. It will still probably be cheaper than buying in the local shop. I have found that to be true in other countries in SEA, though I have not tried it in Singapore.

Personally, I would get a Delica in VG-10 or a Salt 1. It is very humid in SEA.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MysteryNotes

Post by MysteryNotes »

AMarkAbove wrote:As a fellow pro audio guy, my Delica gets the bulk of my work oriented pocket time. But I've been carrying my new Domino(the big brother version of the Dice) exclusively for the past week and it's held up remarkably well. I actually feel more comfortable cutting zip ties with due to the slightly thicker blade stock. I would also strongly look at a Para 3 or even PM3 for the same reason. I'm also anxiously awaiting a Wharncliff Delica.
Friend of mine apparently has already ordered one of those wharncliffes. Will wait til he gets his so I can try it out a little before I buy :P

@ZrowsN1s - Only place I can find the Kiwis are on Amazon/Knifecentre, blade looks rather thin though, how does it hold up?

@anagarika - Not really a fan of the Victorinox, I know lotsa people like them, but I have a bad first impression of them, so I stay away from them

@Doc Dan - Knives are illegal to carry for self defence, however if you have a legitimate reason for carrying them(Camping, fishing, work) then you're fine.
Aside from that, usual rules apply. No autos, no assisteds, no flick/gravity knives, no throwing knives and whatnot.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Kiwi is gonna do fine as long as you're just cutting things and not prying or using it as a screwdriver. It's plenty tough enough for the work you've described. It's a good utility knife. I would probably still prefer a serrated Dragonfly just because I would rather have serrations for cutting wires. This is also one of the very few jobs that I think I could live with a combo edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Well the Victorinox sample was to emphasize wharncliffe as ideal blade shape for electronics work. ;)
Also, the safest knife to carry in Singapore is actually a SAK, especially the non locking blade.
I'm not local, but been there and from what I hear SAK is the most 'forgiving' ones. Also it heavily dependent to the LEO's judgment.

In any case enjoy the Jazzlica when your friend gets his :cool: :spyder:
Chris :spyder:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I don't own a kiwi myself but it should be stout enough to handle any "cutting" task. I should point out I don't use my knives as a screw driver or pry bar (I carry a $6 gerber 'shard' for those tasks, no more broken knife tips for me :D ). Honestly considering what you and everyone else has said it sounds like the wharncliffe delica in vg-10 is your best option. Let us know what you think of it when your friends knife arrives and you've had a chance to check it out.

MysteryNotes

Post by MysteryNotes »

Thank you everyone who has replied me, I appreciate all of your help!

I dropped by my local dealer earlier today and finally decided on the Native G10.

Pic!

Couldn't resist the build and weight of the knife. This little beastie came wonderfully sharp right out of the box too, a little touch up and it was push cutting paper with only slight pressure!
Enjoying my first Spyderco already, however there is one little thing.
The "spyderhole" used to flip it open is rather too sharp to open comfortably, I have been thinking of purchasing some high grit sandpaper to smoothen the edges of the hole so it doesn't feel so sharp.

Do you gentlemen(and ladies, if any) have any other suggestion for me instead of sandpaper?

*should also mention that I'm waiting on the para3 and wharncliffe delica to appear at the shop too :p*
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Help me pick one?

One!?.....Just ONE!?!?

There's no such thing as 'just one' Spyderco, my friend :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

They're like Pokemons man, you gotta catch them all.
Kudzu

Post by Kudzu »

Everyone needs a dragonfly (or three, or four).
MysteryNotes

Post by MysteryNotes »

You guys are terrible influences :P
I need to keep my wallet safe from you all!
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Good choice. I haven't carried mine in a while. This thread is making me want to give it some pocket time.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch