What is your favorite/most used lock type?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your favorite lock type?

Backlock or Midlock
33%
Liner/Frame lock
25%
BBL/CBBL
8%
Compression lock
33%

Total votes: 205

Surfingringo

What is your favorite/most used lock type?

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm sure this poll has been done before but tastes and trends change over time and I'm curious to know what people are preferring these days. I know there are other lock options but I just wanted to compare what I felt like were the four mainstays in the Spyderco lineup. You can select up to two options in case you have two favorites and you can change your vote at any time.

I will vote for the humble backlock because I love it. I feel that it is a very strong and secure lock when properly executed and I have a lot of faith in its function. I also find it the easiest and most secure to operate/close one handed. I know that some will argue that the compression lock is even easier and I can see that point of view but I don't feel it is quite as secure. What I mean by that is when closing the compression lock one handed I have to "pinch" the handle with my thumb and fingers and operate the lock with my index finger. It's very quick and easy but I have had the knife slip out of my fingers before while doing that and where I use a knife that can equal a knife on the bottom of the ocean. The backlock, on the other hand, I can close while always maintaining a full grip. I have never dropped a backlock knife while closing it. I'm sure most of you have never dropped a compression lock either but there's a lot going on sometimes in the kayak with movement and bloody slick hands...either that or maybe I'm just a bit of a spaz. Either way, I just find the backlock more secure for one hand closing. I also love the sound of a quality backlock snapping into place! THWACK!

--Oh yeah, and it is ambidextrous and lefty friendly too!
Evil D

Re: What is your favorite/most used lock type?

Post by Evil D »

I don't think I can vote because my time is split pretty evenly between liner/frame/compression/CBBL.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me it's the midlock, Lance, at least where Spydercos are concerned. Aside from the BBL lock WTC Knife I carry every 9/11 and the rare occasion when a Centofante Memory or a Q is my choice for a "City of Greenville" friendly 3" folder, midlocks are all I ever carry. Stretch, Kiwi, Jester, and Chaparral, get the most pocket time, Kopa, Micro Dyad, Native, Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Calypso Jr., Delica, and R all see occasional use.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Pretty much "The lock that's on the knife i am carrying today" :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I voted liner lock/frame lock(second close is the compression lock).They are easy to operate with one hand and sturdy enough if well executed and Spyderco's liner locks are the best in the industry.Plus, a few of my all time favorite models carry a liner/frame lock; Millitary,Sage1 and Domino.

Marius
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Larry_Mott wrote:Pretty much "The lock that's on the knife i am carrying today" :)
Works for me!! Nice answer!!! :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:I don't think I can vote because my time is split pretty evenly between liner/frame/compression/CBBL.
The poll allows for casting 2 votes for just such occasions. ;)
Larry_Mott wrote:Pretty much "The lock that's on the knife i am carrying today" :)
Though I do have a special affection for a good backlock, my philosophy is pretty similar to yours Larry. I would never not purchase a design because it didn't have my favorite lock. I have examples of all of the locks listed in the poll and all of them are great. The only one that I probably wouldn't buy for a work knife is a BBL as that exposed ball is a bit slippery with wet hands.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Back-lock, then compression lock. Primarily "no-lock" for edc, for obvious reasons.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Liner lock--hands down. To me, it is the easiest lock to articulate open and closed with one hand. RIL is a close second.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Liner/Frame for me.
APS

Post by APS »

Midlock, particularly if the knife is going to be carried loose or IWB due to the great blade retention. Out of the others (liner, frame, axis, etc) I prefer the compression lock.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The backlock is my favorite and I carry one all the time. However, like some of you lock choice isn't that important. Lately I carry a Military more than any other knife and there is no doubt in my mind that liner locks are my least favorite of the bunch. It doesn't stop me from loving my Militarys. The Police4 might be a home run for me being similar to a back lock Military.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

APS wrote:Midlock,particularly if the knife is going to be carried loose or IWB due to the great blade retention. Out of the others (liner, frame, axis, etc) I prefer the compression lock.
Yep, I carry IWB often and this is another reason I like the backlock.
bearfacedkiller wrote:...Lately I carry a Military more than any other knife and there is no doubt in my mind that liner locks are my least favorite of the bunch. It doesn't stop me from loving my Militarys.
This exactly! ^

I think different designs lend themselves to working better with different locks. Something like the Millie with its 4mm blade stock is a knife that works well with a liner lock IMO. There is more room on that thick stock and it is easier to cut a perfect angle on the lock interface and have a secure lockup while still allowing room for the lock to settle in over time. All my Millies lock up super secure. A liner lock on a 2-2.5mm blade on the other hand? Not so much.
brj

Post by brj »

Voted for liner due to the fact that I tend to predominantly carry a Millie but Larry pretty much nailed it.
Holland

Post by Holland »

My favourite lock is the compression lock. The backlock is among my least favourites but it is my most carried.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

Compression lock is my most used, but as far as which I prefer the compression lock and the mid lock are on equal grounds.

As far as closing the comp lock, if my hands are wet/tired etc. I usually don't pinch the knife at the top and push the lock with my finger. I'll instead keep a normal grip on the knife, and rotate my thumb around the top to actuate the lock. Then let the choil hit my index finger, before closing the knife compleatly. Works really well for me. I use the same method on a mid lock, the only difference is pushing to the side, vs. pushing down, and that doesn't make too much difference to me.

I like the overall "feel" and je ne seis quoi, of the mid lock, but I prefer the detent of the comp. lock.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ippon wrote:Compression lock is my most used, but as far as which I prefer the compression lock and the mid lock are on equal grounds.

As far as closing the comp lock, if my hands are wet/tired etc. I usually don't pinch the knife at the top and push the lock with my finger. I'll instead keep a normal grip on the knife, and rotate my thumb around the top to actuate the lock. Then let the choil hit my index finger, before closing the knife compleatly. Works really well for me. I use the same method on a mid lock, the only difference is pushing to the side, vs. pushing down, and that doesn't make too much difference to me.

I like the overall "feel" and je ne seis quoi, of the mid lock, but I prefer the detent of the comp. lock.
Yes, you can do that and close it the same way as a mid/backlock but I don't know, I still prefer closing the backlock...just feels a bit more natural in that technique. Maybe just because i've done it so many thousands of times.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My taste in locks changes like the wind right now I am in a backlock, compression lock phase
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I like them all to be totally honest. I do own more backlocks then any other type although.
Josh
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I'm in a slipjoint phase right now, so lock-schmock. ;)

I have always favored the compression lock, and greatly appreciate the back lock.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man