The Phoenix's soapy scales.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carl3989

The Phoenix's soapy scales.

Post by carl3989 »

I know what you are thinking: "soapy scales?". Not to be confused with Soupy Sales, but I digress and show my age. Let me explain. Most of the knives in my collection are there for their appearance. Heck the rare expensive members don't even get used other than to be gazed at and admired as a work of art. So here is the dilemma posed by the Phoenix. Said limited production sprint run was made in 2009 with about a total production around 1500. It has been a grail of mine for a while primarily for its looks. The blade is so unusual in its design especially those signature 3 holes of the designer. The ball bearing lock so different in execution and appearance sitting in the titanium frame really floats my boat. So what's the beef you may ask. Well I paid MSRP for this used version and was happy to get it for that. Still the one aspect of this knife which I feel could have been done better at this price range are the scales. They're blah. Look at the photo to see what I mean. On top is my beloved Phoenix below it is a used bar of soap. See the resemblance? For a top of the line custom shouldn't it be graced with scales a little more upscale. Wouldn't the Phoenix have been better served with the below Endura 4 demascus orange jigged bone scales? Those orange bone scales must be seen to appreciate their beauty. So those are my thoughts don't you think the Phoenix deserves better scales? Image
Liquid Cobra

Re: The Phoenix's soapy scales.

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thank m you for sharing your thoughts on the Phoenix as well as the great picture. Sadly, I disagree with you 100% regarding the scales. I love the look of the white scales on the Phoenix and find the jigbone scales on the endura to be the ugliest scales I've ever seen Spyderco produce with the exception of the blue version. But that's ok. We all have different tastes.

With the new lil nilakka coming I really hope to see more white scales come from Spyderco. The original sized nilakka would look great with white scales for example.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

It's always funny to read different people's opinions. I don't have a problem with either the Phoenix or the jigged bone, my least liked scales is the dried snot/contact cement PM 2 M4 and the little boys room glow in the dark :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW, the Phoenix wasn't a Sprint Run, just one of a number of marginally successful collaboration models. No idea where you're getting 1500 from, although it's possible that only a single production run was made. As for the scales, white Micarta may have been Howard Viele's choice and many would consider it an atttractive alternative to some of the other scale materials Spyderco has used. IIRC, it (or something close to it) was used on the original Howard Viele/Liong Mah custom version of the Phoenix, the Push. The "good news" is that the scales are onlays, so replacement is relatively simple, especially if you're not fond of clips. Personally, I'd go ivory, with a scrimmed phoenix, but whatever floats your boat.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

If i should ever change the scales (most likely won't happen) I'd go with ox shin that is surprisingly similar to walrus ivory, Ebony or Mopane
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
spyderfly

Post by spyderfly »

I think they look nicer with inner mammoth ivory scales.
Attachments
IMG_2222.JPG
IMG_2221.JPG
IMG_2220.JPG
IMG_2219.JPG
carl3989

Post by carl3989 »

spyderfly wrote:I think they look nicer with inner mammoth ivory scales.
Wow, I agree they look beautiful. Nice job.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Never did snag a Phoenix but it's a little late to worry about it seeing as its been discontinued for years. I would also suggest changing out the scales. Seems like it would be a pretty easy task.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I recall seeing after market black CF scales at one point. Can't recall who was offering them, sorry. As for me, I like the stock scales just fine.

Ken
TALON52

Post by TALON52 »

The Phoenix is one of my favorite spydies too, and I'm good with the white scales!
USMC Disabled Veteran 69/73 Semper Fi