Carbon Fiber - Rough Edges

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hopweaver

Carbon Fiber - Rough Edges

Post by Hopweaver »

I received my Knife Center exclusive Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales this week. I found the edges of the scales pretty rough for my liking. There were tiny pieces of glass poking out that made the scale edges feel uncomfortable. I took some wet 2000 grit sandpaper and lightly touched up the edges. It only took a couple of passes to remove the rough spots in question.

This is my first knife with CF scales and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this effect with carbon fiber scales?
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
HammerHill

Re: Carbon Fiber - Rough Edges

Post by HammerHill »

Carbon fiber is extremely stiff and can definitely chip out at the edges in manufacturing. I too have smoothed CF scales and have yet to see one come from the factory truly flawless as with G10 (much easier to machine).
FlexxxStrops

Post by FlexxxStrops »

I would use some 2000 grit sand paper and take you time removing the edges.
Last edited by FlexxxStrops on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It happened with the m390 military. I did the same as you. Just past some sandpaper over it real quick and all was good. It was the inside of the handles though.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I had that issue on my Positron. CF edges are tough to machine cleanly. I think little hand "massaging" the edges with 2000 grit is a nice way to make almost any factory CF handle feel better in your hand. Sounds like you handled :p it well Hopweaver.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Okay 2000 grit is a bit fine really. I have sand frn, g10 and carbon fiber with 220 dry and it comes out perfect. I find most production knive need a sanding especially the inside edges of the scales where the blade sets into.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Mic1 wrote:Okay 2000 grit is a bit fine really. I have sand frn, g10 and carbon fiber with 220 dry and it comes out perfect. I find most production knive need a sanding especially the inside edges of the scales where the blade sets into.
I agree that you can get an acceptable result with some gentle sanding with 220. In no way am I suggesting you are incorrect.

To clarify why I suggest 2000, I literally (fortunately or unfortunately..not sure :confused: ) sand knives and/or knife handles every day. For the sake of suggesting a touch up to someone who may or may not do this very often I would recommend cleaning up CF with at least 800 or finer, simply because mistakes happen. 220 grit takes off enough material to change shape fairly quickly and it will mar metal with an accidental bump. 500 grit can be used to re-shape handle materials but it starts getting more difficult at that point. At 800 grit you have to really work to make and real changes to the shapes or contours. CF sands fairly easily so when it comes to smoothing factory machining edges 2000 will only remove high spots and leave a nice feel without any chance of changing the shape or blemishing anything you didn't intend to sand. So my suggestion is just one that I've learned will work for everyone without any unintended consequences. :)

Best regards,

Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

First post here, despite having had various Spydies for a long time; happy to be a member of the Spyderco community, finding an answer to my concern right away (below).
Same as the OP with my Manix 2 CF CRUWEAR just received yesterday: rough edges, proof is lint caught in the edges while drawing from the pocket where I clip it. I have to say the CF edges of my Native 5 40th Anniversary are perfectly smooth, unlike that of the Manix 2 - so smooth CF edges can be achieved...
Thanks for the tips on sanding the CF edges, will certainly do.
Gerard
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

gmhauy wrote: Thanks for the tips on sanding the CF edges, will certainly do.
Gerard
Following up: as I did not have any adapted sand paper, I touched up the scales chamfers with the medium-grit rod of my Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker (600 grit I believe, more or less). As the rough parts were mainly on the back of the handle, on the rounded chamfered part that nestles in the palm of the hand, it was easy. Finding the right angle is not difficult and 2 mn of careful light work cured the problem. I finished with an additional touch with the fine-grit rod (it's 1200 grit I believe) and now the scales are perfect.
Thanks again for the advice.
Gerard