New to Spyderco! Help me pick one

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MysteryNotes

New to Spyderco! Help me pick one

Post by MysteryNotes »

Hey guys!
I'm new to Spyderco knives, but I've been well aware of their reputation thus far.
Have bought some Spydercos to give away as presents to friends and family(Salt, Dragonfly) and am now looking to get one myself.

Little background.
I live in Singapore, and am in the audio business, and typically use knives to cut slice cables, rope, cut open cable ties and to open boxes.
Currently, I carry a little Gerber EAB because its handy, small and works for what I need, but recently the knife opened up whilst in my pocket, and managed to slice up my hand a little when reaching in for it.

I went to my local dealer, and got to handle a bunch of Spyderco knives, including one that I really like, which is the Native 5 G10.(Feels so solid!)

What would you guys recommend, from amongst these options?
Preferably a knife that performs well for the above listed tasks, not too big(3 inches or under and doesn't frighten people.)
Native 5 G10
Paramilitary 2 G10(Or should I wait for the PM3?)
Dice
Delica 4 ZDP-189
Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189
Sage 5
nick800

Re: New to Spyderco! Help me pick one

Post by nick800 »

Where is a dealer in Singapore? i go there often and would like to check it out.
MysteryNotes

Post by MysteryNotes »

nick800 wrote:Where is a dealer in Singapore? i go there often and would like to check it out.
Hey Nick!

I go to Sheares Technologies, at Rochor.(Just down the street from Sim Lim Square)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Welcome to the forum MysteryNotes. I think the Native is a great place to start. The g10 version is indeed nice but I would advise you to at least consider the lightweight version. It is very light (hence the name) carries well and I think it is every bit as strong as the g10 version. It is also a fair bit less expensive. :)
MysteryNotes

Post by MysteryNotes »

Surfingringo wrote:Welcome to the forum MysteryNotes. I think the Native is a great place to start. The g10 version is indeed nice but I would advise you to at least consider the lightweight version. It is very light (hence the name) carries well and I think it is every bit as strong as the g10 version. It is also a fair bit less expensive. :)

Thanks Surfing!

I have seen the Native 5 FRN, and it is nearly 100 dollars cheaper here compared to the G10, however I'm drawn to the G10 because it has those sexy steel liners and a nice heft to it.

For the longest time, I've stayed away from Spyderco because I thought the knives looked flimsy(Boy was I wrong when I finally handled some in person!).
My main concern is that the FRN handles would feel flimsy, or too light. I like knives that have a good solid feel to them. All my current knives I currently carry are ZTs.
Next time I drop by, I'll try out the Native lightweight version and see if I like how it feels!
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I have most of the knives on your list and if I had to pick one to buy first I would go with the Sage 5.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Delica 4 ZDP-189. Inexpensive and a great little knife. An absolute favorite model of most people here and for a good reason. It just plain carries well, works well, and you gotta love Spyderco backlocks.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Native5 is not my cup of tea because the ergos in a grip behind the choil are...meh.If you like the leaf shape blade go get the Sage5 but my advice is to wait for the Para3.You'll thank me later ;)

Stay sharp,
Marius
Last edited by elena86 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

MysteryNotes wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Welcome to the forum MysteryNotes. I think the Native is a great place to start. The g10 version is indeed nice but I would advise you to at least consider the lightweight version. It is very light (hence the name) carries well and I think it is every bit as strong as the g10 version. It is also a fair bit less expensive. :)

Thanks Surfing!

I have seen the Native 5 FRN, and it is nearly 100 dollars cheaper here compared to the G10, however I'm drawn to the G10 because it has those sexy steel liners and a nice heft to it.

For the longest time, I've stayed away from Spyderco because I thought the knives looked flimsy(Boy was I wrong when I finally handled some in person!).
My main concern is that the FRN handles would feel flimsy, or too light. I like knives that have a good solid feel to them. All my current knives I currently carry are ZTs.
Next time I drop by, I'll try out the Native lightweight version and see if I like how it feels!
Well, it sounds like you will probably prefer the G10 version. It is a preference that is based more on perception than actual strength or ruggedness but that doesn't make it a less valid preference. I totally understand the attraction to the "feel" of a heavy duty knife, but I have used the linerless frn knives so hard over the years that I have gotten over that idea. As I said in my first post though, the G10 version is awesome. Get yourself one and enjoy! Maybe you can try a LW down the road. ;)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome to the forum, and Spyderco's excellent knives. You really need to try out a Dragonfly and a Delica. The Dragonfly is small, but very capable for lots of things. The Delica is just a great all around knife. Here's a Dragonfly vid to help you out...

https://youtu.be/Vsd-o6BbY48

If you like a bit larger, and are thinking of the Delica, why not wait for the Delica wharncliffe . Great work knife. Here's a vid...

https://youtu.be/Sczu0kXNswQ
- best wishes, Jazz.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Given what you use it for (audio business), it's better to get the Delica in wharncliffe. Jazz (member here) made several convincing videos of the usefulness of this blade shape.

Might not be available yet out if US, but you can order and get it shipped from some dealers in US.

I'd recommend to stay away from ZDP, as it will chip easily if lateral forces exists when cutting. In your use, I imagine sometime it's needed (a bit of scooping out motion when cutting). I used to work with cables too (UTP, CAT-5, Coaxial). VG-10 should serve you better, not to mention it's much more stainless than ZDP (Singapore - tropical weather).

If you really want to try ZDP, it's fun, though you need to be aware of the limitation, apart from it's high hardness & edge holding.

Edit to add: Jazz posted while I was composing :o , but anyway, watch his video, a lot of daily use examples.
Chris :spyder:
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I also like the Delica wharncliffe for its ability to cut precisely. I recently bought the Native 5 light weight fully serrated and it has served me well and the S35VN blade is awesome.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
swigert

Post by swigert »

Welcome,

What's your sharpening experience?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum MysteryNotes. I agree with others that the Spyderco Native is a great starter knife, and, I would also suggest the Endura or Delica. The Delica is a good compromise between compact-size and incredible cutting power as well as comfort as the Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon handle scales (FRN) are very comfortable and durable; and the VG10 Stainless Steel blade has a perfect balance between rust/corrosion-resistance and edge-holding. I do not know anything about the laws regarding blade length and knife size there, ofcourse, but I'd say the Delica and the Native are great choices.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm no electrician but when I do anything wiring related on my car or around the house I reach for something with serrations. Teeth definitely seem to do a better job grabbing wires and cutting them where plain edge can slid off before cutting. Based on your criteria I'd have to recommend a Dragonfly Salt in SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I have a Para 3 and that is a much better carry knife than the Paramilitary 2 (which I also have). I am not big on ZDP 189 as it can chip being such a hard metal, and it is also more difficult to sharpen that other metals. For what's on your list - I say Para3. An alternate would be the Sage 5.
nick800

Post by nick800 »

What are the prices like in Singapore?
MysteryNotes

Post by MysteryNotes »

Jazz wrote:Welcome to the forum, and Spyderco's excellent knives. You really need to try out a Dragonfly and a Delica. The Dragonfly is small, but very capable for lots of things. The Delica is just a great all around knife. Here's a Dragonfly vid to help you out...

https://youtu.be/Vsd-o6BbY48

If you like a bit larger, and are thinking of the Delica, why not wait for the Delica wharncliffe . Great work knife. Here's a vid...

https://youtu.be/Sczu0kXNswQ
Holy ****! That knife slides through that cardboard like butter! You may just have convinced me to wait for the wharncliffe delica!

@Marius - I have been talking to my dealer about the Para3, seems it will be in stock in a month or 2. Don't know if I can wait that long to get my hands on the it, but i'll try :D

@Bugs - I have seen many recommendations for the Delica, and I am seriously considering it at the moment. Jazz here posted a video which might cause me to buy both the Dragonfly and the Delica...Which would be terrible for my wallet.

@anagarika - Am interested in ZDP mainly because of its edge retention properties :p I currently have a couple knives that I use daily for work, but my main user is in D2 steel. I have yet to notice any staining issues, but I maintain my blades every weekend.
I do not use my knives for prying so that will hopefully chipping will not be an issue!

@swigert - I am fairly new to sharpening my own knives(Only been at it for a couple months), previously I used to send in my knives routinely to this nice fellow who offered sharpening services. I have a set of waterstones(600/1000/3000) and am in the process of ordering a strop from Stropman.
If you have sharpening advice to offer, I am all ears.

@SpyderEdgeForever - Thank you. The knife laws here in Singapore are rather tricky, in that they do not specifically mention anything about blade length, but only on opening mechanisms(Autos and assists are prohibited). It is mostly about intent of use. I carry my knife only when at work, either inside a toolroll, or with me when working on something.
The reason why I'm going for smaller knives is because I simply do not need the longer blade, and in many cases long-bladed knives are seen to be more threatening.

@Evil D - I was considering that, but I have no experience sharpening serrated knives(Knife sharpening newbie here!), so I stick with plain edge ones.
I find that a knife sharpened with a 600grit doesn't have much problems cutting through cables, and for the thicker ones(3mm+) I have a pair of heavy duty shears!

@dreadpirate - I find myself pretty interested in the compression lock on the Sage5, the only other ones I've had were slipjoints, linerlocks and framelocks. Also liking that carbon fiber pattern on it.

@Nick - Off the top of my head, not very sure. I know the PM2 was around 230 or so though, about the same as the Native 5 G10 that I looked at.
If you want prices for specific models, you can let me know which ones, and I'll go ask around for you next time I drop by.

Apologies for the late replies, I just woke up here :p
awa54

Post by awa54 »

First off, if you like heft in an easy to control non-scary pocket knife I'd say get a G10 Dragonfly 2, it sort of sums up a number of the features you are interested in. That and the feeling of solidity comes at a fairly low total weight, so it isn't a pocket buster and the mid lock design is very unlikely to open in a pocket. As far as serration for wires, that may work well if you just want to rip through thin wire, but precision cuts on insulation and clean cuts of thin copper wire are best done with a plain edge (or wire cutters/strippers!), I did car and in-home audio installation in my previous career and I have tried both types of edge for that application.

I worked in consumer audio for twenty years, what sort of audio work do you do?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Dragonfly Salt could be perfect. The blade is large enough for big tasks as others have shown on here and yet small enough to be compact and not be seen as weapon-like. Also, the H1 stainless steel would be totally rust-proof and would hold an edge well enough for your uses.