Safe Cleaning Products and Oil for Metal?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Safe Cleaning Products and Oil for Metal?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Everyone, do you know of safe cleaning products that are able to clean up mold, grease, and other hard to clean surface things, but, that do not have any side-effects and which do not contain dangerous chemicals or solvents?

I had read that WD40 was based on fish oil and then I read the warning label and it warned against breathing it in or swallowing it. Are there such things, also for cleaning knives and steel and glass that do not contain harmful ingredients?

I want something like that that so if I accidentally breathe it in while cleaning things and maintaining my knives, there is no risk of getting sick. Any and all responses welcome, please.
Evil D

Re: Safe Cleaning Products and Oil for Metal?

Post by Evil D »

I'm pretty sure Super Clean is at least biodegradable, otherwise you may may just want to make your own citrus cleaner. My daughter made a vinegar/orange/water cleaner in scouts that works pretty decent.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zeroed4x

Re: Safe Cleaning Products and Oil for Metal?

Post by zeroed4x »

Simple Green. Biodegradable and nontoxic. For general cleaning de-greasing.

Another much stronger alternative would be orange oil based nontoxic solvents such as toupee tape remover called C-22.
This stuff is used to remove extremely strong adhesives used in theatrical makeup such as wigs and toupees.
It can be used on human skin without side effects and it will literally dissolve / melt dried adhesive, tar, oil or other similar substances from your blade without any chemical reaction to metal or your skin. You can think of this stuff as the friendly alternative to goof-off and goo gone type solvents.
Here's a link to the stuff. I've been using it for many years and a 12oz bottle lasts a long time.
http://www.hairdirect.com/store/c22-cit ... -12oz.aspx