Delica Wharncliffe Has Dropped (pics)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

Re: Delica Wharncliffe Has Dropped (pics)

Post by dplafoll »

harronek wrote:Well I just purchased a plain edge one , and now the wait for it to travel halfway around the world begins .
The choice of which edge type to get caused me a few sleepless nights , but in the end logic prevailed and I admitted to myself I'm not a serated edge guy .
I'll probably end up with a serated one after a while , but I'll see how I like the plain first .
Me being me though It won't stay standard for very long , and I do have a set of Burnt Orange scales sitting doing nothing , HMmmmmmm a Burnt Orange Delica Wharncliffe I like the sound of that :)

Ken
Per Eric in the SHOT vids, they had to change something in the handles to accommodate the different blade shape. Those scales may not work...
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
harronek

Post by harronek »

dplafoll wrote:
harronek wrote:Well I just purchased a plain edge one , and now the wait for it to travel halfway around the world begins .
The choice of which edge type to get caused me a few sleepless nights , but in the end logic prevailed and I admitted to myself I'm not a serated edge guy .
I'll probably end up with a serated one after a while , but I'll see how I like the plain first .
Me being me though It won't stay standard for very long , and I do have a set of Burnt Orange scales sitting doing nothing , HMmmmmmm a Burnt Orange Delica Wharncliffe I like the sound of that :)

Ken
Per Eric in the SHOT vids, they had to change something in the handles to accommodate the different blade shape. Those scales may not work...
That could be a problem , but I suspect if they did change something it would have been the backspacer , not the scales themselves .
If thats the case I'll just use the black backspacer combined with the Orange scales which when I think about it will look even cooler than just one color .

Ken
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Nice! Thanks for posting those great pics, now I really want a serrated ARK!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Ken
Hi Ken, I had the same issue about choosing PE vs SE as you and also chose to try out just the PE version for now. It will be interesting to see if there is indeed an issue with swapping the blade into another color scales. Those burnt orange ones do indeed look nice - I went with a different blade shape for mine though (and SE no less) ;). Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Burnt orange is my favorite color of FRN.
Just ordered the new Jazz Delica!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Jazz wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:I'm hoping for some second market regrinds of these like the kahr arms delica.
edit*I hope no offense Jazz :o I want a normal one too! I'm very tempted to go SE*
None taken. I'm a bit of a modder myself. Do you just mean chopped of flatly like the Kahr?
Yep, pretty much the exact same mod, here's a very rough idea, sorry if my drawing is a little off on the porportions.
xdelicamod.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Jazz wrote:But, how do you like it?
Mine came today and I like it a lot. Really love the blade shape. This is my first Delica but I see a fully serrated one in my future. Thanks Jazz for your persistence :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

NickShabazz wrote:I'm pretty excited, mine's in the mail right now. I'll put up a "first look" video once it lands.
Looking forward to it, Nick. Please put it in here so I don't miss it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Ken
Well, that would be a bit easier to find if you set it down. You being you, I'm curious what you'll come up with. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

holeshot wrote:
Jazz wrote:But, how do you like it?
Mine came today and I like it a lot. Really love the blade shape. This is my first Delica but I see a fully serrated one in my future. Thanks Jazz for your persistence :)
No problem. Glad you like it. Enjoy that cutting machine. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Jazz wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:I'm hoping for some second market regrinds of these like the kahr arms delica.
edit*I hope no offense Jazz :o I want a normal one too! I'm very tempted to go SE*
None taken. I'm a bit of a modder myself. Do you just mean chopped of flatly like the Kahr?
Yep, pretty much the exact same mod, here's a very rough idea, sorry if my drawing is a little off on the porportions.
xdelicamod.jpg
Looks great for SD.
- best wishes, Jazz.
harronek

Post by harronek »

Jazz wrote:

Ken
Well, that would be a bit easier to find if you set it down. You being you, I'm curious what you'll come up with. ;)
Jazz ,

On the ones you received from Sal and Eric can you see any difference in the scales and backspacer from the standard Delica ?

Ken
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

dplafoll wrote:
I honestly can't see a difference without dismantling. The kicker on the blade is a bit lower to raise it up when closed. Maybe the back spacer is different? Looks the same though. On the proto, there's a bit of backspacer ground out to accommodate the blade tip, however.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

harronek wrote:
Jazz wrote:

Ken
Jazz ,

On the ones you received from Sal and Eric can you see any difference in the scales and backspacer from the standard Delica ?

Ken
See my previous post. Looks like no problem, but you have to dismantle to be sure.
- best wishes, Jazz.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Mine arrived 5 minutes ago. I Immediately noticed that the fit and finish of my example exceeds my two other delica models. I also really like the location of the spyder hole. It being a little further from the scales makes it very accessible and easy to flick open with my middle finger as well as my thumb. Blade is perfectly centered and the pivot requires zero adjustment. It is set just how I like it. Thanks Jazz and Spyderco for knocking this one out of the park.. I cant wait for UPS to arrive today here at work. I will have plenty of cardboard to break down!!!

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

mrtodd777 wrote:Mine arrived 5 minutes ago. I Immediately noticed that the fit and finish of my example exceeds my two other delica models. I also really like the location of the spyder hole. It being a little further from the scales makes it very accessible and easy to flick open with my middle finger as well as my thumb. Blade is perfectly centered and the pivot requires zero adjustment. It is set just how I like it. Thanks Jazz and Spyderco for knocking this one out of the park.. I cant wait for UPS to arrive today here at work. I will have plenty of cardboard to break down!!!

Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only person who will seek out opportunities to cut stuff. :p
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
xdelicamod.jpg

I've been thinking about the same mod, but in the end I still don't like the handle and I already have a Yojombo 2 so I dunno if it's worth the hassle for me. The biggest advantage I can see is having a FFG blade, but there is also the Q Ball and Caribbean coming that are both FFG wharnies so I have to wait and see.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I almost pulled the trigger on this one but have decided to wait for the Qball, I'm really wanting something a little larger and prefer G10 plus I'm digging the ball lock.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

farnorthdan wrote:I almost pulled the trigger on this one but have decided to wait for the Qball, I'm really wanting something a little larger and prefer G10 plus I'm digging the ball lock.

The Q ball looks really really tempting to me as well. I do think the Delica is larger though. I could be wrong.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

mrtodd777 wrote:Mine arrived 5 minutes ago. I Immediately noticed that the fit and finish of my example exceeds my two other delica models. I also really like the location of the spyder hole. It being a little further from the scales makes it very accessible and easy to flick open with my middle finger as well as my thumb. Blade is perfectly centered and the pivot requires zero adjustment. It is set just how I like it. Thanks Jazz and Spyderco for knocking this one out of the park.. I cant wait for UPS to arrive today here at work. I will have plenty of cardboard to break down!!!

Beautiful pic, Todd! That point makes you want to stab cardboard and slice it up. You'll see. Let me know how you like it in use, please.
- best wishes, Jazz.