PARA 2 and MILITARY models prohibited in Canada

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Steel_Drake

Re: PARA 2 and MILITARY models prohibited in Canada

Post by Steel_Drake »

It is incredibly infuriating that Canadian Border Services can unilaterally declare as illegal knife models that are sold at retailers across Canada. How much more arbitrary could you get?!
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

jdw wrote: Hope it works out better than 1812.
Shots fired!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

jdw wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
paladin wrote:I had no idea, it was that bad up there for you knife knuts... :mad:

Well, there's only one solution to free our brothers from the tyranny of blade oppression then....yup, that's right..... invasion. :cool:
We will sort it out. You stay where you are!
Hope it works out better than 1812.
Didn't that war go well for Canada? I'm confused.

"In Upper and Lower Canada, British and local Canadian militia victories over invading U.S. armies became iconic and promoted the development of a distinct Canadian identity, which included strong loyalty to Britain. Today, particularly in Ontario, memory of the war retains significance, because the defeat of the invasions ensured that the Canadas would remain part of the British Empire, rather than be annexed by the United States. The government of Canada declared a three-year commemoration of the War of 1812 in 2012,[10] intended to offer historical lessons and celebrate 200 years of peace across the border.[11]"
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
kelpie

Post by kelpie »

I live in New Zealand and a couple of years ago i had a twitch XL stopped at the border as they felt that the flipper working with the assisted opening deemed the knife an automatic. the Irony built when they told me that there was a benchmade barage (which i hadn't ordered and didn't know about) in the package, The barage was legal as it opened by using thumbstuds, which "were attached to or part of the blade". ??? after a couple of months of back and forth with "experts and lawyers" of NZ customs involved they confirmed their decision. Two options, 1, knives distroyed. 2, apply for permit
- a permit was not difficult to obtain given that my intentions were (and are) honest and law abiding

hope it sorts out favourably for you
jdw

Post by jdw »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
jdw wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
paladin wrote:I had no idea, it was that bad up there for you knife knuts... :mad:

Well, there's only one solution to free our brothers from the tyranny of blade oppression then....yup, that's right..... invasion. :cool:
We will sort it out. You stay where you are!
Hope it works out better than 1812.
Didn't that war go well for Canada? I'm confused.

"In Upper and Lower Canada, British and local Canadian militia victories over invading U.S. armies became iconic and promoted the development of a distinct Canadian identity, which included strong loyalty to Britain. Today, particularly in Ontario, memory of the war retains significance, because the defeat of the invasions ensured that the Canadas would remain part of the British Empire, rather than be annexed by the United States. The government of Canada declared a three-year commemoration of the War of 1812 in 2012,[10] intended to offer historical lessons and celebrate 200 years of peace across the border.[11]"
You are correct sir. So the Canadians got to be absorbed into the Commonwealth. Yay for being subservient to the Crown. I was merely suggesting that you seldom get positive results from fighting with your neighbor. Forget the battle of N.O. The war was over. Cultural identity is real. I don't agree with a lot of Canadian laws but I won't fight them. If you feel that it worked out in Canadians best interest then I can't judge history. I disregard the whole notion of 'manifest destiny '. Even though I disagree with a law it is up to the people to decide in a true democracy. And yes, my brother-in-law is from Regina.
JimP

Post by JimP »

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:Don't give up though guys.
The laws were really strict in Australia (no flippers or knives which can be wrist flicked open)but last year they officially relaxed the laws.
I believe Sal and a local distributor, Zen Imports, had a lot to do with it.

As SSBB has stated, if you can encourage the assistance of distributers, sellers and makers to put forward a good argument to government, it is proven that sanity can indeed prevail! You can use Australias change of law as a precedent :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kelpie,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

SF Native wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:Liberalism is a mental disease.
There are a lot of different people on this forum and political comments are not respectful or productive. Respectfully please reconsider what you post.
I'll frankly express my political opinion if I want to, and besides, the banning of knives is itself a political issue.
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

Peter1960 wrote:
jdw wrote:Canadian and EU knife laws are something that frustrate me that shouldn't as it does not affect me at all.
That said, and all politics aside.
Just to clarify one important point: An EU-wide knife law does not exist! Each country within EU has it's own knife law and all knife laws are different! From liberal (like Austria) to restricted (like Great Britain).
Of Spain it is worse. Here is always at the discretion of the police if the use at the time. If you carry a knife and an apple may be understandable. What if I already ate it? ... In England this very limited but I am told there is at least one type of permitted knife. a greeting
fcdt3

Post by fcdt3 »

A new member here!

Any updates available on this?

Has anyone received a 'Flipper' type knife into Canada---sucessully--- in the past few months?

Please kindly consider and let me know!

Thank you!
jonnieb

Post by jonnieb »

I sent away for the KW Military with the 204P blade. Arrived from the States just before Christmas, and I wasn't even charged custom fees! I live in Ontario, BTW
anycal

Post by anycal »

I lived in couple parts of the world with strict knife rules. Wasn't happy about not being able to carry my beautiful blades. I feel your disappointment and frustration. Especially that you are not even able to get them, easily.

I guess as strict as the rules were, I always found something to carry - non locking small pocket knife with a sharp edge. May not be what you want, but for the most part, it will do the standard tasks a knife was designed to do. I was fortunate to be close to outdoors where I could use these outlaws.

Need to get involved to drive change. Could be dead end, but if important to you, you have to try.
Peter
anycal

Post by anycal »

And to the feller, who regurgitated that unoriginal nugget of ‘wisdom’ about someone with different views. Feel better?

Labels are as worthless as some of the laws you disagree with. Instead of generalizing, talk to your fellow man. WARNING! Your ideology will be challenged and your feelings may get hurt. Open-mindedness could be scary. But, that’s part of evolving. You never know when you will have to rely on someone different than the likes of you.

Then again, if you never leave you enclosure, you are good to go…
Peter
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

anycal wrote:And to the feller, who regurgitated that unoriginal nugget of ‘wisdom’ about someone with different views. Feel better?

Labels are as worthless as some of the laws you disagree with. Instead of generalizing, talk to your fellow man. WARNING! Your ideology will be challenged and your feelings may get hurt. Open-mindedness could be scary. But, that’s part of evolving. You never know when you will have to rely on someone different than the likes of you.

Then again, if you never leave you enclosure, you are good to go…
If you are referring to me, then consider your words. Talk to your fellow man? It's a little hard to start a conversation when you start by calling someone worthless and the other guy thinks That person has a disease. I do have an open mind to many things. We see eye to eye on much and maybe not so much on other things. We get more done by working together but those statements unnessesarily put people in an us versus them situation. Be hard on issues, not on people. We are friends here, let's act like it.
anycal

Post by anycal »

SF, we are in agreement. My comment was to the poster before you.

Now, let's focus on knives.
Peter
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

anycal wrote:SF, we are in agreement. My comment was to the poster before you.

Now, let's focus on knives.
My bad. I mis-read your post. Sorry if I jumped all over you.
Yes, back to knife topics...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Valencia and sal and everyone: Why is it that some of the nations that make the best knives as far as steel quality and materials and designs go, such as Spain, America, and Canada and Japan, also have some of the strictest anti-knife policies in the world? My thought is that the leaders of these nations should think like this:

" Wow. Our people make some of the best knives. We will hereby make sure we encourage the citizens to be able to own, carry, and invest in the best knives and steel around. We will encourage them to own and carry and buy, sell, and trade fine steel knives such as Samurai Swords, Tanto Knives, Balisong Knives, One Hand Openers, Fixed blades, Pocket and Pen Knives, and all the rest. This will help increase sales of knives and bring great notoriety to our nations and people. After all, the knife is man's oldest or one of man's oldest and original tools, and therefore we have an imperative duty to uphold, preserve, and spread knife owning and carrying rights as far as we can." At least, that is how I look at it, and that is how and what I would personally do if I were in their shoes.

Secondly, was this original issue with the Military and Paramilitary ever resolved to your satisfaction my fellow forumite?

I read that Japan has some of the strictest knife laws in the world. Yet they are world reknowned for some of the finest steel and cutlery ever. This makes no rational or logical sense to me. If I were the Japanese prime minister or whatever I would do everything within my power to expand the individual citizen's inherent right to own and carry knives and swords and cutting tools. They ought to be so proud of materials like H1 Stainless Steel which come from there. Right?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Hey SEF,

I think the answer is pretty simple. Most people just don't see knives the way we do. Most people are satisfied opening packages with their car keys, struggling through lunch with a flimsy plastic disposable knife, and burning through replaceable razors like they grow on trees. A lot of people hear the word "knife" and think weapon. A lot of people really couldn't care less one way or another about knives. A lot of other people are cool with anything with a sharp edge and aren't at all worried about how they're being restricted by legislation. And then, tucked away in the corner of society, there's us. :)

I often forget how spoiled we are as Americans. As oppressed as we feel sometimes, we really do enjoy some fantastic freedoms and opportunities that other countries don't for one reason or another. But, of course, it could always be better!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Payne, you are right. Thank you for the great answer, man.

You know, I was rather surprised at how someone reacted to me recently when I brought up the issue of knife rights. They told me "Look there's plenty other worse problems in the world that have to be fixed, for us to be worrying or concerned about carrying a knife." I felt somewhat shocked because I treasure and value our freedoms and like you said, most people just don't see knives the way we do.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

op: what if you ask someone to send the blade and handle to you separately?