Yojimbo 2 handle mods

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Yojimbo 2 handle mods

Post by vivi »

I was a big fan of the original Yojimbo, and the Para 2 is one of my favorite knives. Really expected to love the Yojimbo 2, but one thing has held me back.

I have big hands and apparently long thumbs. For my primary EDC knife I prefer an inch between where my index finger grips the handle and the end of the thumb rest. The Para 2, Millie and Police 3 all meet this requirement gripped behind the index choil. Many knives from Spyderco and other makers do not. Having less space there becomes an ergonomic issue during cutting where any moderate pressure is applied.

If you look at the following photo you'll see the generously spaced thumb ramp on the Para. Next the original Yojimbo offers a decent bit of space, but its already feeling cramped for me.

Now looking at the Yojimbo 2 you can see the handle and blade make a point right where my thumb goes on a Para 2, taking the modest thumb ramp of the original down to an even smaller size.

This is the only thing thats kept me from buying one all these years. Everything else is a complete home run in my book - the lock type, blade shape, materials and ergonomics aside from this issue.

I've tried gripping it with my thumb forward of this section, but it just doesn't feel quite right for utility cutting.

I'm thinking about giving one another shot and modding this part of the handle myself. Which brings me to the point of this discussion. Has anyone else tried doing that? I'd love to see some pictures.

I know there's another forum user (Doug something? digdug avatar) that's chopped a yojimbo 2 to a smaller size and in the process smooth out this area, but I'm hoping someone else has tried a more minimal mod that only targets this area.
Michael Janich

Re: Yojimbo 2 handle mods

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Vivi:

The thumb ramp on the Yo 2 is purposely designed to be on the spine of the blade, not on the handle. Instead of a "saber grip" with a bent thumb, it is biased toward a "Filipino grip" with an extended thumb.

Stay safe,

Mike
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I feel kinda redundant echoing what Michael is saying, but that about sums it up. Relax your thumb and let it extend forward on the dip on the spine of the blade. I'm really kind of baffled that there's even jimping on the handle size of the thumb ramp because it feels way too cramped for me to put my thumb there. As an added bonus holding it this way tends to force me to slice things more with the tip, which slices much better than the rest of the blade because it's thinner.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Of course it is hard to speak for someone else, not knowing your exact hand size and grip, but I agree with placing the thumb on the dip in the spine feels natural to me (medium size hands). This is one of those knives I did not buy as an EDC, but after using the knife it just feels so natural/comfortable to me I find myself carrying it for all types of work from office to field and using for all types of everyday needs even though my understanding is that it was designed primarily as a self defense knife. Not sure how long you have had yours, but I suggest you carry and use it for a while...it may just grow on you like it did for me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've actually held off on buying one because I usually don't find placing my thumb on the spine to be comfortable for utility.

I'm going to order one this weekend most likely and see how it works. Maybe I'll get used to using the spine as a thumb rest, maybe I'll mod the handle. Either way I'll post pictures.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I put skateboard tape on the top of the spine and it works well.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Lack of jimping isn't an issue. My concern is for utility cutting it will feel akward like it has for me with other knives. We'll see.