I Would Like to See A Caly 3 in VG10 Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Re: I Would Like to See A Caly 3 in VG10 Steel

Post by SpeedHoles »

Just a visual reminder for any readers who might not be familiar with the old Calypso Jr FRN with the "fishscale"!

And, taking these photos just reminded me... would those interested here prefer a liner less construction like this one is, for ultimate lightweight (even lighter than Delica), or for it to have full liners under the FRN?

I know most people just say "I want liners" as a default response, but I personally would like liner less here. There are already plenty of FRN options with liners, and also if I needed strength and full rigidity in my Caly, I'd just grab a G10 version for that task or day.
Every time I grab this old Jr., I am amazed at how light it is!
And if liner less can work for Manix 2 LW (and UKPK), why not get a super light option for the Caly!
Going back to Caly.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

sal wrote:Any interest in a lite weight?

sal
I think a lot of folks would love this. The Caly3 is an amazing design. I personally haven't bought one yet because of the cost relative to other Spyderco knives that I wanted first and I believed would be discontinued before the Caly3 (or sprints). Now I'm getting the HAP40 sprint just to be safe. But I think a more-accessible Caly3 would be a big seller. I also think it might cannibalize some Delica sales if it's anywhere near the same cost.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd rather see a light weight PM2, PM3, or Yo2. I feel like when we already have a light weight Native 5 and Delica 4, another light weight lockback is lower on my "wish list" than those.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I'd like a lightweight in K390
Ed Ricketts

Post by Ed Ricketts »

Big fan of the caly here. My first choice would be frn and vg10 .
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal
Frankly, I never thought about G10 Caly 3 as heavy weight. :eek:
Also I really love the look of liners.
It looks like I am in micro minority :eek: :eek: O well, I still have my original G10/VG10 Caly3 and two Caly3.5. I will survive, especially after getting my share of Caly3 sprint.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Ed Ricketts

Post by Ed Ricketts »

Speaking of the hap40 sprint...any idea when?
timlara

Post by timlara »

SpeedHoles wrote:Just a visual reminder for any readers who might not be familiar with the old Calypso Jr FRN with the "fishscale"!

And, taking these photos just reminded me... would those interested here prefer a liner less construction like this one is, for ultimate lightweight (even lighter than Delica), or for it to have full liners under the FRN?

I know most people just say "I want liners" as a default response, but I personally would like liner less here. There are already plenty of FRN options with liners, and also if I needed strength and full rigidity in my Caly, I'd just grab a G10 version for that task or day.
Every time I grab this old Jr., I am amazed at how light it is!
And if liner less can work for Manix 2 LW (and UKPK), why not get a super light option for the Caly!
I always liked the "fishscale" texture. Would definitely buy an affordable Caly3 in this design and would be fine with no liners to make it as light as possible.

(That said, I'm going to be plenty happy with the 110v UKPK in the meantime!)
Tim
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

You can just dig out the Calypso jr molds and give us a Calypso jr again...
tangent

Post by tangent »

Lightweight with no liners would be great...with a wharncliffe blade would be awesome!!
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

sal
Yes.
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

Lightweight Caly 3? Count me in! Just for variety, I'd rather have any steel other than VG-10, but I love the Caly 3 so I'd buy another VG-10 one even though I have 2 of the G-10 VG-10 ones.

(Only one shown here. The other is out being reground into a wharncliffe.)

GarageBoy wrote:You can just dig out the Calypso jr molds and give us a Calypso jr again...
Or this ^. Calypso Jr was my first Spyderco and it was the fishy scale scales that caught my eye. 17 years and a few dozen Spydercos later, I still love the look and feel.

Mohawkjk2

Post by Mohawkjk2 »

sal
Take my money!!
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Gee,it’s rly been over 5 years since the conception of bringing back the Calys, looks like it got a good reaction on the forum. Any updates lately spyderco?
:bug-red-white
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wow, I knew about some of the Calys, but the Jr is my favorite ! I only had seen one picture and it didn't show all of its qualities. I love that swedge.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I also love the Caly 3.
I own 3 of them and whould love to see a new batch no matter if sprint run or restart in the lineup.
A lightweight whould also be ok, but if FRN please the fine surface like UKPK, Urban or Squeak.

ASF