Byrd Hawkbill

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Jwc77

Byrd Hawkbill

Post by Jwc77 »

Just taking a moment to talk about the Hawkbill. It is one of my two byrds (the other a ss robin)...and I can't believe the amount of knife you get for the money (right at $20) in the Hawkbill. While I like the robin...because it is the ss version (while it is well built) it is very stiff and not as enjoyable to carry.

But the hawkbill is a great knife. The fit and finish on it it outstanding. Very smooth deployment, snaps open fast, lock up is solid and it is my first FRN knife. I was very skeptical about FRN just from appearance online but I have to say it feels really nice.

I would definitely buy this blade if they upgraded the steel a bit...say BD1. Well done on the hawkbill! Again, I can't believe the amount of knife you get for the price!
sal

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Post by sal »

Hi Jwc,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the kind words. Hope you enjoy the pcs.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I am on the lookout for a PE SS Harpy, might pick up a Crossbill in the meantime :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SpyderRN17

Post by SpyderRN17 »

I am also a huge fan the Byrd knives as a first Spyderco knife, especially for the price!!! I will only purchase Spyderco knives. I have bought 8 knives from the Byrd line (all Hawkbills & Robins). Mainly for my daughters, nephews and nieces. I am a firm believer that everyone should carry a knife at a minimum as a weapon (if they can't or don't want to carry a gun) to protect themselves, or as a tool. I also carefully instruct everyone I gift a knife to about how to safely handle it, (so they don't injure themselves or others accidentally). I also give them a quick self-defense lesson (from an anatomical stand point, the best placement of their knife if they are being attacked, and how to use the attackers body weight in their favor, etc.)
One of my nephews is an electrician, he carries his Hawkbill knife daily at work and uses it constantly, he loves it. He moved away from Wyoming and I don't think he's ever had it sharpened, he still says it's sharp somehow even though they are made with softer metal.

NEVER A COMPLAINT WITH A BYRD KNIFE, JUST LIKE MY REGULAR SPYDERCO KNIVES... AMY
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SpyderRN,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
K9ja

Post by K9ja »

I love my hawkbill but I prefer a G-10 handle. The hawkbill and the meadowlark look like they share handles, if I buy a G-10 meadowlark can I just swap handles?

I have a Spyderco para-2, para-3, tenacious, persistence
Byrd hawkbill,

I have given about 10 Byrds as gifts.

Your response would be GREATLY appreciated!!
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

The Byrd Hawkbill is completely underrated. Unfortunately it lives in the shadows of H1. The ergos are amazing, blade thickness is perfect, easy of sharpening through the roof, blade curve with serration depth and spacing outstanding! This knife rips when it comes to pull cuts. I carry it with a manix 2 52100. The pair become a dynamic duo that is hard to beat.
Justin
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I would like to add, if you have ever been skeptical about sharpening serrations, start with this knife! It's a dream to sharpen with the sharpmaker.
Justin
sal

Post by sal »

Hi K9ja,

Welcome to our forum. Thanx for the support and for using our byrds as gifts.

On blade swaps, it's a crap shoot on fit.

sal
G_shark

Post by G_shark »

The value you get with the Byrd Hawkbill is truly amazing. It's become my go to gardening knife since I got it. It's absolutely superb with fibrous materials. I've long used a simple Opinel or SAK in the garden, and whereas they did do the trick and gave me great joy, the Hawkbill just came, saw and conquered. The ease of use is terrific and it just keeps on going. Haven't had to sharpen it yet even though it already tasted a hole lot of plants, dirt and wood.

anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I didn’t like the serration on my Atlantic Salt but I can enjoy the byrd hawkbill. Have been using it for everything except fruit (too short) and shaving (must be PE). For cutting without backing, (serrated) hawkbill is excellent !!

Blame it on @JD Spydo ;) and his enthusiasm for serrated hawkbill! Lol

JD, you need to check out 8Cr13MoV. This steel works well for both PE & SE :cool:.
Last edited by anagarika on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What a great and amazing knife that Byrd Hawkbill is.
SpyderEdgeForever

G_shark wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:31 am
The value you get with the Byrd Hawkbill is truly amazing. It's become my go to gardening knife since I got it. It's absolutely superb with fibrous materials. I've long used a simple Opinel or SAK in the garden, and whereas they did do the trick and gave me great joy, the Hawkbill just came, saw and conquered. The ease of use is terrific and it just keeps on going. Haven't had to sharpen it yet even though it already tasted a hole lot of plants, dirt and wood.

These are amazing and well-made photos.

Do I have your permission to share these with others so they can see the great uses and value of the Spyderco Byrd Hawkbill knife?

Also, if you wanted to, do you think the same knife could be rinsed off with water and used to make sandwiches in a picnic or backyard?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

SpyderEdgeForever

Aside from the Cross Bill, is there still just one sized model of Spyderco Byrd Hawkbill, the one you all picture above? Sal, would you consider having one made with a blade length in the 3.5 to 4 inch range. please?
G_shark

Post by G_shark »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:52 pm
G_shark wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:31 am

These are amazing and well-made photos.

Do I have your permission to share these with others so they can see the great uses and value of the Spyderco Byrd Hawkbill knife?

Also, if you wanted to, do you think the same knife could be rinsed off with water and used to make sandwiches in a picnic or backyard?
Yes and yes
😬
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you! Your pictures of it are very well taken.

The knife is very good, but, as one who has used it, would you add any improvement suggestions or is it good as is?
G_shark

Post by G_shark »

Not really. It's really made to be used and it takes any job like a champion. It's inexpensive, well built, and if it breaks you can just get a new one without breaking the bank. I don't think I'll end up breaking it anytime soon though. Just a barebones tool that does its job very well. I respect it a lot for that. Great stuff by Sal and his team.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

New companion for the Hawkbill
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

I'm not normally a spyderedge type of person, but on the hawkbill it just works so well!