Delica 4 batches?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KazzCreative

Delica 4 batches?

Post by KazzCreative »

Hey everyone - new to Spyderco, new to the forum here.
I'm a recent Benchmade to Spyderco convert - and happily so!
I recently picked up up a Delica 4 on Amazon and was shocked by how sharp it was. My first Spyderco of what will soon be many.
A week later I ordered another one with a combo edge from the cutleryshoppe.com (free Tootsie Pops with my order!)
Both are beautiful, balanced, super sharp knives. But I did notice some subtle differences.

Both knives match the photos and descriptions of what I ordered from Amazon and the cutleryshoppe.
But the typeface on the blade is different. The combo edge uses a narrow typeface as shown in the photo on Spyderco's web site. And the grind stops just under the spyder hole.
The plain edge has a "regular" typeface and the grind goes past the spyder hole to the top face of the blade.
The only other difference is the logo on the pocket clip. The plain edge logo is about 1/4" away from the bend before the lanyard hole. The combo edge logo is less than 1/16" away.
These are not complaints by any means! I am just new to Spyderco and I'm curious if anyone else is familiar with differences in batch runs from Seki City.
I attached a photo as well.
Attachments
typeface.jpg
Jazz

Re: Delica 4 batches?

Post by Jazz »

Welcome. One is full flat grind (to the top), and the other is a shorter flat grind (called a saber grind). The Full flat is thinner, so it slices better. The saber is thicker and stronger, but not the best slicer. As for the letters, I suppose they just change what they use over time.

Me and others on this forum are big Delica fans. You made good choices (although I have no use for combo edges or serrations). Enjoy your knives. You'll probably end up with more. I switched from Benchmades about 10 years ago. Still have them, but Spyderco has me hooked.
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kazz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome aboard, KazzCreative.

As Jazz mentioned, it is hard to beat the Delica for all-around daily use. Great design.

Welcome to the addiction!

-Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums! The delica is one of my favourites, enjoy your knives!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome aboard, lots of love for the Delica around here.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Hi Kazz! Welcome aboard! As Jazz touched on, Spyderco changed the way they marked the blades (stamped vs. lazer etched?) at some point in the past couple years. So your combo edge/saber grind is just a little older stock.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hi Kazz, welcome.
If you like Delicas, a new Wharncliffe model is being released this year. Jazz can tell you all about it. :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum, KazzCreative, and thanks for the great pics of the Delicas. The Spyderco Delica is one of my favorite knives out of the Spyderco lineup. There is also a Delica with a Wave feature designed by Ernest Emerson. It is very good.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Welcome, KazzCreative! You made an excellent choice in the Delica. If you examine the two Delicas you have, side by side, compare the spine thickness and taper. This explains a significant part of why the flat ground model cuts better and the saber ground model is stronger near the tip.
harronek

Post by harronek »

Grab your Delicas , line them up and start using them :)

Welcome to the world of Delica .

Ken
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Welcome.. And another Delica fan here also!! Good choice!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

harronek wrote:Grab your Delicas , line them up and start using them :)

Welcome to the world of Delica .

Ken
Nice collection you have there.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Recently converted ? Welcome to our cult :spyder:
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Welcome Kazz! Benchmades are pretty nice as well. I'm a casual fan, owning 3 and I occasionally use them. I have way more Spydercos though. :)
And the one that started it all was the Delica. Everyone should have at least one, and I see you have that covered!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."